PDA

View Full Version : Feds crack down on gambling again

TheEnforcer
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/business/22gaming.html?ex=1327122000&en=952d8b02cee0a300&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Gambling Subpoenas on Wall St.
E-MailPrint Reprints Save Share
DiggFacebookNewsvinePermalink

By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN and STEPHANIE SAUL
Published: January 22, 2007
The Justice Department has issued subpoenas to at least four Wall Street investment banks as part of a widening investigation into the multibillion-dollar online gambling industry, according to people briefed on the investigation.

The subpoenas were issued to firms that had underwritten the initial public offerings of some of the most popular online gambling sites that operate abroad. The banks involved in the inquiry include HSBC, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and Dresdner Kleinwort, these people said.

While online gaming sites like PartyGaming and 888 Holdings operate from Gibraltar and their initial public offerings were held on the London Stock Exchange, companies that do business with them and have large bases in United States have come under scrutiny by regulators in Washington.

Jace
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
doesn't epassporte deal in a LOT of gambling? that would make me weary if I used them

Hell Puppy
01-23-2007, 02:08 AM
doesn't epassporte deal in a LOT of gambling? that would make me weary if I used them

Haven't kept up with them, but I know that was a big part of the business to start with and probably one of the many reasons they're based off shore.

Dunno where the pressure is coming from, likely some heavy lobbying by the likes of MGM/Mirage and Harrahs. But not a good time to be doing gambling biz if you intend to live, work or play in the U.S.

gonzo
01-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Haven't kept up with them, but I know that was a big part of the business to start with and probably one of the many reasons they're based off shore.

Dunno where the pressure is coming from, likely some heavy lobbying by the likes of MGM/Mirage and Harrahs. But not a good time to be doing gambling biz if you intend to live, work or play in the U.S.
I missed the Epassporte booth.

Did you see it?

Last time I saw Chris Mallick he was screaming at the manager at the Florida show.

Something about "the beautiful people dont stay in anything less than a suite."

TheEnforcer
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah.. wouldn't want to be in the states if I was the owner of that place iof they get a lot of their money from gambling transactions...

Forest
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
i believe epass does still allows gambling transactions

and the owners are here i the states

i would be worried if i were them