PDA

View Full Version : what magazines do you read

edward
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
im gonna get a few subscriptions now that i am sure i will be somewhere for at least a year... preferably business mags... whats worthwhile?

Jace
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
wired, forbes, entertainment weekly

softball
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Corvette Fever

Hell Puppy
01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I used to get stacks of tech rags, news, business mags, etc. But I kept finding myself just flipping thru all of them because I had already read everything in each one of them online. Print was too far behind the web and real time news.

So I'm down to basically:

Business 2.0
Car and Driver

And whatever freebies I get whether I want them or not.

edward
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
i dont know how you can stand car and driver... i think their articles and opinions are pathetic, as are their test drivers (who consistantly produce the lowest times of all the major mags)... road and track and motor trend are far superior imo... i cant read a car and driver without getting annoyed... the letters and responses are bad too

Biggy
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
business 2.0

Hell Puppy
01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
i dont know how you can stand car and driver... i think their articles and opinions are pathetic, as are their test drivers (who consistantly produce the lowest times of all the major mags)... road and track and motor trend are far superior imo... i cant read a car and driver without getting annoyed... the letters and responses are bad too

I like their comparisons. Even if their 0-60 times are half second slower than other mags, they're evaluating all cars equally so you can see where things are in relative terms. You're right, a lot of fluff there, but you know it's kinda like Sports Illustrated vs. Sporting News...depends on what you had around when you were growing up. C&D is familiar to me.

I watch Motor Trend on TV.

I like Road and Track, but they sometimes forget about "normal" cars.

I'll grab both if I'm getting on a plane, I just dont subscribe.

edward
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I like their comparisons. Even if their 0-60 times are half second slower than other mags, they're evaluating all cars equally so you can see where things are in relative terms. You're right, a lot of fluff there, but you know it's kinda like Sports Illustrated vs. Sporting News...depends on what you had around when you were growing up. C&D is familiar to me.

I watch Motor Trend on TV.

I like Road and Track, but they sometimes forget about "normal" cars.

I'll grab both if I'm getting on a plane, I just dont subscribe.

ive only grabbed c&d when ive been drunk at the airport... by the time we take off i pull it out of my bad and get mad at myself, never fails

i just find them to be extremely pompus and their 10 best lists are a joke, they almost never get it right... i forget what cars the mazda rx-8 beat but they were legit sportscars... a rx-8 is not

Hell Puppy
01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
ive only grabbed c&d when ive been drunk at the airport... by the time we take off i pull it out of my bad and get mad at myself, never fails

i just find them to be extremely pompus and their 10 best lists are a joke, they almost never get it right... i forget what cars the mazda rx-8 beat but they were legit sportscars... a rx-8 is not

Top Gear really went gah-gah over the RX-8 as well. Jeremy doesn't like many cars, but said that was the best one he'd been in to that point in the season they reviewed it. I think they're both just suckers for the rotary engine and RPMs.

Car and Driver usually blows a load over anything made by Honda or BMW. Feels like they spot them 50 points just for the badge.

sarah_webinc
01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
These days it is hard for current event magazines to keep as up to date as websites. I used to read Newsweek,etc but now I just get my fix online.

JohnV
01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I read most of my news online, but I do subscribe to:

Wired
Car & Driver
Motor Trend
Road & Track
Sports Car International
Newsweek

MaskTVMaura
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Being an enviro-chick, I read alternative magazines such as:

Common Ground
Shared Vision
The Healing Journal

...and many more save-the-world, live-healthy magazines. I don't read things like Prevention, but I have been known to pick up a copy of The Yoga Journal from time to time!

bluemoney
01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Fuck reading! I just looks at them pitchers :blink:

Hell Puppy
01-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Might I suggest High Times!

Rcourt64
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM

http://gloriabrame.typepad.com/inside_the_mind_of_gloria/images/cubs_injury.jpg

edward
01-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Top Gear really went gah-gah over the RX-8 as well. Jeremy doesn't like many cars, but said that was the best one he'd been in to that point in the season they reviewed it. I think they're both just suckers for the rotary engine and RPMs.

Car and Driver usually blows a load over anything made by Honda or BMW. Feels like they spot them 50 points just for the badge.

shok had an rx-8 and hated it, the only thing those cars have going for them is a cool interior (if you opt for the 2 tone) and psuedo doors in the back (which is hardly new, extended cab trucks and saturn coupes have had that for years)

nofx
01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
2600, wired and ebooks

Hell Puppy
01-13-2007, 02:38 AM
shok had an rx-8 and hated it, the only thing those cars have going for them is a cool interior (if you opt for the 2 tone) and psuedo doors in the back (which is hardly new, extended cab trucks and saturn coupes have had that for years)

Not really my cup of tea either. I can enjoy high end German engineering and Italian pasta rockets, but my real tastes are old school. Big American horse power and rear wheel drive. I've been driving slide ways thru corners since before the kids finally squeezed enough power into their ricers to discover it and call it drifting.

I'm looking forward to the return of the Challenger and the Camaro. Hopefully GM doesn't blow it this time.

glad2beme
01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
wired and Maxim are my favorite travel mags...

edward
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Not really my cup of tea either. I can enjoy high end German engineering and Italian pasta rockets, but my real tastes are old school. Big American horse power and rear wheel drive. I've been driving slide ways thru corners since before the kids finally squeezed enough power into their ricers to discover it and call it drifting.

I'm looking forward to the return of the Challenger and the Camaro. Hopefully GM doesn't blow it this time.

i like the new camaro, i will buy one if i am not living in a city when it comes out... its not a city car... i need ground clearence...

sarettah
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Ironhorse
BirdTalk
Surfing

gonzo
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
2600 and Wired.

We are holding out for the nekkids of Darci Wood.

That woman had me hot and bothered watching her eat tuna at Smith and Wolenski last night.

edward
01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
2600 and Wired.

We are holding out for the nekkids of Darci Wood.

That woman had me hot and bothered watching her eat tuna at Smith and Wolenski last night.

i used to read 2600 and listen to the off the hook radio show pretty religiously, they kind of turned me off by getting too political and losing sight of the main theme (the radio show anyway)... id probably still read 2600 if i still went to barnes & noble