PDA

View Full Version : Rhetorical, i'm not hyjacking your thread any more!

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I thought i would move it over here since the original intent of the other thread was about blues singers :)
You have no idea until you have tried. However I have eaten a ton of ribs and roast beef and pulled pork at a lot of local rib shacks, steak houses, or whatever your local term for such pig out rooms is and I can tell you that there is still no comparison to a great restaurant. Nothing to do with snobbery (or reverse snobbery) just the facts jack.
I do have any idea.... in fact I have one important piece of information that you lack;

I know my personal preferences and I take dining very seriously. here is what I said;
I wouldnt enjoy a meal at either of those fine dining establishments bro

spaz
the correct response might have been along the lines of why wouldn't i enjoy a meal at either of those fine dining establishments... yeah, see that would have gotten this response;

Because it is a bit too formal for me, I prefer a much much more relaxed atmosphere when I am having a meal and both of those places, while they may serve very good food, definitely give me the impression of being a little too stuffy for my particular tastes.

if there is a dress code past 'shoes and shirt required' chances are I won't necessarily desire to eat there. Simple, you see I agree 'Nothing to do with snobbery (or reverse snobbery) just the facts jack' just the facts are that resturaunts such as the two you showed, while i have not been to those specific ones, I HAVE visited plenty of that caliber and i think they suck ass for me.

now if YOU want to dress up and spend loads of money on food, knock yourself out, doesnt mean a thing to me, but a stiff wooden chair up my ass because it matches the decor or having art on the menu detracts from the overall enjoyment of the meal when i am sitting down to eat.

The fundamental difference that I can assume here Rhetorical between you and I is that dining is an experience for you and i may be wrong. But to me it is just a means to an end, get my belly full with good eats. Alpha and Omega right there........

Here is the perfect dinner experience for me, a really good cookout with a bunch of friends, maybe tossing some horseshoes at posts or sitting around bullshitting loudly. You can enjoy that to, but for this hick i'd drive past 30 of them resturaunts to visit a really good take out.

spaz

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 01:25 PM
maybe i should have said "Rhetorical: Step Inside" LOL would have been more dramatic

spaz

softball
01-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I thought i would move it over here since the original intent of the other thread was about blues singers :)

I do have any idea.... in fact I have one important piece of information that you lack;

I know my personal preferences and I take dining very seriously. here is what I said;

the correct response might have been along the lines of why wouldn't i enjoy a meal at either of those fine dining establishments... yeah, see that would have gotten this response;

Because it is a bit too formal for me, I prefer a much much more relaxed atmosphere when I am having a meal and both of those places, while they may serve very good food, definitely give me the impression of being a little too stuffy for my particular tastes.

if there is a dress code past 'shoes and shirt required' chances are I won't necessarily desire to eat there. Simple, you see I agree 'Nothing to do with snobbery (or reverse snobbery) just the facts jack' just the facts are that resturaunts such as the two you showed, while i have not been to those specific ones, I HAVE visited plenty of that caliber and i think they suck ass for me.

now if YOU want to dress up and spend loads of money on food, knock yourself out, doesnt mean a thing to me, but a stiff wooden chair up my ass because it matches the decor or having art on the menu detracts from the overall enjoyment of the meal when i am sitting down to eat.

The fundamental difference that I can assume here Rhetorical between you and I is that dining is an experience for you and i may be wrong. But to me it is just a means to an end, get my belly full with good eats. Alpha and Omega right there........

Here is the perfect dinner experience for me, a really good cookout with a bunch of friends, maybe tossing some horseshoes at posts or sitting around bullshitting loudly. You can enjoy that to, but for this hick i'd drive past 30 of them resturaunts to visit a really good take out.

spaz
LOL, hijacking keeps a board dynamic. That is why I start threads like this. The board was getting a little too slow for my taste and needed a shot.

There is no "correct" response, because I am sure you have not eaten in a restaurant like either of these. I have tried in many places and these two are outstanding. And very comfortable.
I do eat for pleasure not only for fuel. I drink for pleasure, not just to quench my thirst or get legless drunk.
As for sitting around bullshitting loudly with friends, that is not going out for dinner. That is entertaining at home. Not what I was discussing. Though I just had a dinner for ten potluck that was pretty amazing. No horseshoes farting or loud guffawing, but pleasant none the less.
I have dug a few pits in my life and jammed a salmon in the coals. I still like that. I just like eating so much, I expanded my horizons. It is my hobby. And fortunately I live in a good restaurant city.
However, the ribs suck here. I have to make my own.

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Of course i cant assume anything you're stating in that last reply was aimed directly at me other then the small assumption as to what type of places i have or have not eaten in the past. I have not dined at either of the places you gave links to of course... but I have had the unfortunate experience of eating at resturarunts that had a star rating in the past.

The white chairs in the first link you provided looked to me to be downright uncomfortable. I assumed since it was in their gee whiz flash that those chairs are in their dining room/area/whatever

the second one said art was on the menu and I found that to be pretentious and a super turn off and just from that alone can say quite confidently I would pass up an invitation to dine there even on someone elses dime and would definitely not enjoy eating at that establishment.

Now to make a point so simple it is elegant in the sheer inability to be argued against it.

we all have different tastes

try as you might and point/counter point all become irrelevant as soon as that statement is introduced into the argument.

You see you honestly BELIEVE that a $200 bottle of wine is worth the money, that the experience involved with enjoying an $800 dinner for two is pleasureable enough that paying that price probably actually increases the pleasure of the experience. I am not by any means calling you an elitest here Rhetorical, but that seperates us in ways I am not entirely certain you appreciate.

The very concept of paying $800 for something that my loved one and myself will be shitting out in a few hours is, in fact, offensive to me. Especially since it would most likely be MY hard work that enabled us to have that meal. The finest dinner in the world would taste like shit in my mouth if i had to pay that much money for it. And this is not about being able to afford it, it is about having differing opinions and attitudes regarding a lot of things not the least of which is money and its effect on pleasure. I could have a lot more money then I currently do and I still would question the price of things versus their value.

we have different tastes... and my taste are clear to me. Find the right resturaunt and a $15 meal is every bit as tastey as the $800 one, it just comes to a table with no table cloth, served on cheap china and no attitude :)

spaz

softball
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
so what would you spend your 800 bucks on for fun?

"try as you might and point/counter point "
Actually, that was your decision to try that. I am not trying at all. I am most confident in my discussion.

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
so what would you spend your 800 bucks on for fun?

a trip with the family to an amusement park, although i would probably need a little more then $800

spaz

gonzo
01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Spaz would spend $800 on zipper ribs.

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Spaz would spend $800 on zipper ribs.
not the ribs.. too much, but their beans!! Oh hell yeah

spaz

softball
01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
a trip with the family to an amusement park, although i would probably need a little more then $800

spaz
800 bucks at an amusement park? Wow, that is a lot of amusement. If you think an 800 dollar dinner is like shit through a goose, that wouldn't even last that long. I'll take the dinner.

spazlabz
01-03-2007, 09:47 PM
800 bucks at an amusement park? Wow, that is a lot of amusement. If you think an 800 dollar dinner is like shit through a goose, that wouldn't even last that long. I'll take the dinner.
there is no amusement park near me man, it'd be a week long trip at least to Cedar Point in OH and it would definitely be better then a single meal in any resturaunt on the planet...

spaz

MaskTVMaura
01-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Eating out at restaurants hasn't been in my budget for quite some time and so I've gotten really good at organic cooking. I'm willing to bet that I eat better at home than most people do when they eat out at fancy restaurants.

softball
01-04-2007, 06:28 PM
there is no amusement park near me man, it'd be a week long trip at least to Cedar Point in OH and it would definitely be better then a single meal in any resturaunt on the planet...

spaz

I used to live half an hour from a huge amusement park and I went once in fifteen years. No Wallyworlds for me. Screaming kids and burning burgers I can only take in small doses.
Still gotta go with the restaurants. In fact I have three nights booked this month in some of Vancouver's best. Fool that I am.

Toby
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
...I have three nights booked this month in some of Vancouver's best.If that's what you enjoy and how you choose to spend your money, more power to ya.

My brother is a classically trained chef, so I've had a number of opportunities to dine in some pretty exclusive restaurants as his guest. I will admit that the food was terrific, but I don't think I enjoyed it any more than a good crawfish boil with all the eats dumped in a pile in the middle of the table, no utensils, hands only, with a good supply of napkins and lots of cold beer.

softball
01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
If that's what you enjoy and how you choose to spend your money, more power to ya.

My brother is a classically trained chef, so I've had a number of opportunities to dine in some pretty exclusive restaurants as his guest. I will admit that the food was terrific, but I don't think I enjoyed it any more than a good crawfish boil with all the eats dumped in a pile in the middle of the table, no utensils, hands only, with a good supply of napkins and lots of cold beer.

Its all a matter of how you like to pass your time. Its all eating to me and I love to eat. But when I hear people whining about expensive meals and expensive wine saying it isn't worth it, I have to call time. Some of these restuarants may not be good, that's true. Not all crawfish boils are equal. I have seen people fuck up crab feasts and some of the chlli I have eaten is just heartburn crap.
But if you spend a lot of money and get great wine, great service, and amazing food, it is worth it. That is why high end dining exists. Nothing to do with the gullibility of the patrons.