PDA

View Full Version : big computer problem help

tony404
12-31-2006, 08:07 PM
big computer problem help
I left my big tower running , havent been up there for a few days.Go up there to get some stuff done. And it says cant find bios, I restart it , it goes thru the whole bios process then all I get is a blinking white cursor. What can it be? HElp?

Jace
12-31-2006, 08:12 PM
open the machine up, look for the battery

pull the battery out, leave it out for a good 5 minutes

put the battery back in, power up

sarettah
12-31-2006, 08:12 PM
big computer problem help
I left my big tower running , havent been up there for a few days.Go up there to get some stuff done. And it says cant find bios, I restart it , it goes thru the whole bios process then all I get is a blinking white cursor. What can it be? HElp?

Step 1: Can you get into your bios setup options?

tony404
12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Step 1: Can you get into your bios setup options?

yes and it does thru the process right up til it would boot to xp

tony404
12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
open the machine up, look for the battery

pull the battery out, leave it out for a good 5 minutes

put the battery back in, power up

ok I will do that and report back

sarettah
12-31-2006, 08:15 PM

You can check the battery like Jace said, but the fact that it appears to be loading the bios and that you can get into the edit options sounds like the battery is probably ok. Don't know what all the battery controls nowadays, last time I had to screw with one was just for the clock.

This could be a hardware prob, you should try to see if you can get in using safe mode imho.

Edited: hardware should be harddrive

sarettah
12-31-2006, 08:25 PM

Another thing to do is to go into the bios setup and make sure all your parameters look right. The hard drive settings, memory, etc.. If it reset to default some how, you might have to reset it up.

tony404
12-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks waiting 5 mins for the battery then will try next thing. Hopefully its just c drive crapped out.

Jace
12-31-2006, 08:35 PM
You can check the battery like Jace said, but the fact that it appears to be loading the bios and that you can get into the edit options sounds like the battery is probably ok. Don't know what all the battery controls nowadays, last time I had to screw with one was just for the clock.

This could be a hardware prob, you should try to see if you can get in using safe mode imho.

Edited: hardware should be harddrive

yeah, I didn't know he actually could get into the bios

question, if it says it can't find bios, how are you getting into the bios?

did you mean can't find operating system?

if so, then yeah, your drive crapped out

sarettah
12-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Jace,

And it says cant find bios, I restart it , it goes thru the whole bios process then all I get is a blinking white cursor.

Jace
12-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Jace,

well, can't find bios and going through the whole bios seems wierd to me, either it finds the bio or it doesn't....usually can't have both

regardless, it sounds like a drive it crapping out

I am out of her for the new year, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

sarettah
12-31-2006, 08:52 PM
well, can't find bios and going through the whole bios seems wierd to me, either it finds the bio or it doesn't....usually can't have both

regardless, it sounds like a drive it crapping out

I am out of her for the new year, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Have a good one :)

tony404
12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
The battery worked its up and running thanks

Hell Puppy
12-31-2006, 09:33 PM

I'd pull a quick backup of anything important if you haven't already....just in case.

sarettah
12-31-2006, 09:34 PM

Cool. Like HP said.

Glad it worked out for you.

Grump
01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Tony, I'd think about replacing the battery asap. Be sure the computer shuts down properly and normally before pulling out the old one.

gonzo
01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Tony, I'd think about replacing the battery asap. Be sure the computer shuts down properly and normally before pulling out the old one.
I second that and Id also recommend getting a back up NOW.

carol.prime
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
all the instructions and procedures are already posted down here....
if you can't still get that...
you better go to a technician...LOL

:blink::blink::blink: