PDA

View Full Version : I am scared shitless....

softball
12-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I just bought a Kobe beef New York strip steak. It cost 65 bucks and I have to cook it. It is the most expensive steak I have ever cooked and my old lady will not be amused if I tank it.

Hammer
12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
The cooking of Kobe beef is best left to the Japanese, but good luck.

softball
12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
The cooking of Kobe beef is best left to the Japanese, but good luck.
I cook it all the time, but thin slices at the table. But this is a whole steak. I will let you know.

Sherie
12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
You should always have someone cook that for you :) (not because you can't but for $65 it should come with one) Enjoy!!

LadyMischief
12-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Just grill it for a minute or less on each side. The trick with kobe beef is to keep it rare and just grillmarked.

softball
12-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Just grill it for a minute or less on each side. The trick with kobe beef is to keep it rare and just grillmarked.

The steak was perfect. In fact, it was the best steak I have ever had and I have travelled the world looking for the perfect steak. This year I was in Brazil and Argentina. Both claim the best. But my favourite was Alberta beef. But this was breath taking. Only a steak lover could appreciate this.

Hell Puppy
12-21-2006, 12:21 AM
The steak was perfect. In fact, it was the best steak I have ever had and I have travelled the world looking for the perfect steak. This year I was in Brazil and Argentina. Both claim the best. But my favourite was Alberta beef. But this was breath taking. Only a steak lover could appreciate this.

How'd you end up cooking it? I've also had the strips, but never dared think of trying to grill a filet sized one myself. Though Chops here in Atlanta now offers it for like $125 for 10 oz....i'll be tempted next time I'm in there. A few places in Vegas offer it that way as well including Craftsteak.

I would think in that size you'd just wanna spank it on both sides. The meat is so lean it'll dry out quickly otherwise, and I wouldn't dare consider marinating it or injecting it.

LadyMischief
12-21-2006, 09:01 AM

As a born and raised Alberta girl with a family who has strong roots in the cattle industry, I would heartily have to agree. Kobe was also the only beef for me that was even comperable to AAA Grade Prime 21 day Aged Alberta Beef. Glad you found something else that you like :)

Rcourt64
12-21-2006, 09:48 AM
As a born and raised Alberta girl with a family who has strong roots in the cattle industry,

:yowsa: wow, really? Besides just cattle, any sheep roaming around there? http://www.myadg.com/oprano/sheep4.gif

carol.prime
12-21-2006, 11:20 AM
one of the most expensive i guess and the Japanese are experts to it...
but anyways, it's a good try...i love eating beef steaks and every else do, so there's no regret on buying that kobe beef...just cook it right though...
:-pearl::-pearl::-pearl:

softball
12-21-2006, 12:18 PM
How'd you end up cooking it? I've also had the strips, but never dared think of trying to grill a filet sized one myself. Though Chops here in Atlanta now offers it for like $125 for 10 oz....i'll be tempted next time I'm in there. A few places in Vegas offer it that way as well including Craftsteak.

I would think in that size you'd just wanna spank it on both sides. The meat is so lean it'll dry out quickly otherwise, and I wouldn't dare consider marinating it or injecting it.

Here is what I did. Firstly I used an instant read meat thermometer. I like my steaks medium rare, pink on the inside but firm and still juicy.
I have a cast iron rigged pan that I only cook steaks on and it is well seasoned.
I have an electric stove, so I turned it on high, got all fans going and opened the windows.
The steak was about 3/4 of an inch thick. I oiled the pan, tossed it in until it hit 100 degerees F. (about three minutes). Flipped it over and cooked it until it hit 128 degrees F.
I certainly wouldn't marinate it because it is just too good to cover up the taste. I have lost my fear of frying now, so will certainly do it again.
That was about it. The trick is the meat thermometer. Prolly about 120 if you like it rare.
It was worth it. I am going to try their rib eye next.

Note: These frying times might be longer because of the rigged pan. I am guessing cutting that in half for a flat pan. I would guess if you have a gas stove, your cooking times might be longer because usually gas is not as hot.

Hell Puppy
12-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Here is what I did. Firstly I used an instant read meat thermometer. I like my steaks medium rare, pink on the inside but firm and still juicy.
I have a cast iron rigged pan that I only cook steaks on and it is well seasoned.
I have an electric stove, so I turned it on high, got all fans going and opened the windows.
The steak was about 3/4 of an inch thick. I oiled the pan, tossed it in until it hit 100 degerees F. (about three minutes). Flipped it over and cooked it until it hit 128 degrees F.
I certainly wouldn't marinate it because it is just too good to cover up the taste. I have lost my fear of frying now, so will certainly do it again.
That was about it. The trick is the meat thermometer. Prolly about 120 if you like it rare.
It was worth it. I am going to try their rib eye next.

Note: These frying times might be longer because of the rigged pan. I am guessing cutting that in half for a flat pan. I would guess if you have a gas stove, your cooking times might be longer because usually gas is not as hot.

I might try that with a lesser piece of meat first. Something also very lean, maybe some venison loin.

I do have an old school cast iron skillet that is well over 100 years old. It's seasoned well. Normally only see's action for making southern cornbread.

softball
12-22-2006, 12:50 AM
This is the type of pan I use for stove top grilling....
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Square-Grill/dp/B0000CF66W/ref=acc_glance_ktch_ai_1_title/002-8830648-0364004

Hell Puppy
12-22-2006, 02:28 AM
This is the type of pan I use for stove top grilling....
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Square-Grill/dp/B0000CF66W/ref=acc_glance_ktch_ai_1_title/002-8830648-0364004

Yup, good pan.

Same principle...old school cast iron skillet will work as well, i've used it for steaks in the oven cranked to about 500 before. Flat bottom but still thick....the flat bottom means it's going to sit in it's juices though. I'm thinking in this case that's a good thing.

Interesting idea to play with...heck, $20 pan though, if my way doesn't work, I'll just buy one.

I love my Amazon Prime.

softball
12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I just bought 600 bucks worth of Kobe beef on a thirty per cent off sale. I wish my freezer was bigger. This stuff is to die for.
I believe this is where the beef originated. The pork is also amazing.
http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/publicity/news-burger.asp

Hell Puppy
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
I just bought 600 bucks worth of Kobe beef on a thirty per cent off sale. I wish my freezer was bigger. This stuff is to die for.
I believe this is where the beef originated. The pork is also amazing.
http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/publicity/news-burger.asp

"American Kobe Beef" that sounds like an oxymoron.

softball
12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
"American Kobe Beef" that sounds like an oxymoron.

Apparently the Japanese are importing the American cows to Kobe where they are fed a little then slaughtered so they can legally be called Kobe.

Hell Puppy
12-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Apparently the Japanese are importing the American cows to Kobe where they are fed a little then slaughtered so they can legally be called Kobe.

Ididn't read the pageclosely, but i interpret it as they've brought wagyu cattle from japan to the U.S.

That's part of the battl,