PDA

View Full Version : Banner Size question

Greg B
07-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I know the standard sizes but do any of you who promote affiliate programs have different ideas about banner sizes?

I ask because to me it's important to ask the people doing the selling on a regular basis what they feel about things.

Toby
07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I've found that the standard 486x60 & 468x80 banners are pretty much ineffective. I've been using larger 700 to 750 pixel wide banners. A few sponsors are starting to provide them, others I make myself.

Hammer
07-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Odd size banners work best, and the bigger the better. Skyscrapers work well.

Of course, IMO, text links always work better than banners in most situations.

Greg B
07-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I've found that the standard 486x60 & 468x80 banners are pretty much ineffective. I've been using larger 700 to 750 pixel wide banners. A few sponsors are starting to provide them, others I make myself.

Thanks Toby! That's why I asked. Often people don't ask the sellers what 'they' need and don't accommodate them.

My full page ads are funny so I'm trying to figure how to make the smaller stuff as funny.

I'm even customizing my ads so the affiliate has some input and can tailor them to really give that sense of salesmanship and personal service.

TheEnforcer
07-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Odd sizes are always the best IMHO. A program should always have a ton of em in many different sizes in my opinion. They are much easier to be creative with. Like Hammer said, text is always best in my book but banners can add to the text if done right.

Greg B
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Odd sizes are always the best IMHO. A program should always have a ton of em in many different sizes in my opinion. They are much easier to be creative with. Like Hammer said, text is always best in my book but banners can add to the text if done right.

Excellent! I didn't know you guys felt text worked best. I hate text. Banners or imaging works best for me.

I like to integrate a story into the banner or ad.

For example check out these two banners displays that I use to promote two different animated features on my site:

http://www.gregboone.com/giserial1.jpg

http://www.gregboone.com/wgaserial1.jpg

When an affiliate has a site that has a personality attached then we customize those toons to say "Joe Presents" and then it makes the surfer feel like the site owner hawking the affiliate knows the affiliate. A quality site associated to more quality. Gives that personal touch. Plus people come back again and again.

Hell Puppy
07-30-2006, 05:34 AM
I agree.

People are largely ad blind when it comes to your typical 468x60 and similar. You still have to have them though cuz there are so many places that will only accept them.

Skyscrapers are starting to suffer from the same problem. Odd sized ones that can be put in unconventional places will draw the best click thru ratios these days. I like lots of square ones of different sizes.

Greg B
07-30-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree.

People are largely ad blind when it comes to your typical 468x60 and similar. You still have to have them though cuz there are so many places that will only accept them.

Skyscrapers are starting to suffer from the same problem. Odd sized ones that can be put in unconventional places will draw the best click thru ratios these days. I like lots of square ones of different sizes.

That's a good point! It fits optical ad theory that the unusual and irregular attract and retain attention until it gets aped by other ad companies and become the norm.

My episodic banners/page ads still generate me email to this day. The Bangbros are good at this with their Bangbus ads. They let the surfer know there's a past, present and future to their adventures. Makes you want to collect them all.

TheEnforcer
07-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Excellent! I didn't know you guys felt text worked best. I hate text. Banners or imaging works best for me.

I like to integrate a story into the banner or ad.

For example check out these two banners displays that I use to promote two different animated features on my site:

http://www.gregboone.com/giserial1.jpg

http://www.gregboone.com/wgaserial1.jpg

When an affiliate has a site that has a personality attached then we customize those toons to say "Joe Presents" and then it makes the surfer feel like the site owner hawking the affiliate knows the affiliate. A quality site associated to more quality. Gives that personal touch. Plus people come back again and again.

Toons are the one medium where I could see where banners might be the better option that text. because toons have have wildly different loks depending on the creator of the toons I imagine a s visual representation would translate and convert better because they see the stylke up front rather than create an impression in the mind which can ultimately lead to dissappointment if they go to the site and the style is diufferent than they thought it would be.

Greg B
07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Toons are the one medium where I could see where banners might be the better option that text. because toons have have wildly different loks depending on the creator of the toons I imagine a s visual representation would translate and convert better because they see the stylke up front rather than create an impression in the mind which can ultimately lead to dissappointment if they go to the site and the style is diufferent than they thought it would be.

Enforce you are so on target. I found out way back when that for my niche, a toon type banner converted and retained well. I've always converted and retained awesomely. I was just doing this part-part time and now have to expand. That's why the new affiliate programs coming out. I experimented a few years ago and it worked great. Real proud of myself and how my affiliates were making good money. Not as difficult as I thought to do but when it comes to tools for the webmaster to use to sell my stuff I feel it's my obligation to cover every base and go overboard if a webmaster has a suggestion. Teamwork equals profit.

gonzo
07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Enforce you are so on target. I found out way back when that for my niche, a toon type banner converted and retained well. I've always converted and retained awesomely. I was just doing this part-part time and now have to expand. That's why the new affiliate programs coming out. I experimented a few years ago and it worked great. Real proud of myself and how my affiliates were making good money. Not as difficult as I thought to do but when it comes to tools for the webmaster to use to sell my stuff I feel it's my obligation to cover every base and go overboard if a webmaster has a suggestion. Teamwork equals profit.

I think you might miss an important feature in promoting your site Greg.
Since it is a toon site you have the ability to make some pretty slick custom banners for those with something special in mind.

Keep us updated.

Mr. Blue
07-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Personally I'd rather use text, but when I do use banners it's usually odd sized and visually catching.