PDA

View Full Version : USA getting ass handed to them at World Cup

TheEnforcer
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Already down 2-0 in the first half. :(

Trev
06-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I laughed, I cried, then I laughed a lot... but I'm £290 up so I say a big thanks to the US for concentrating on the games that take no skill at all while your girls play 'soccer'...

BTW your girls got spanked today. :okthumb:

TheEnforcer
06-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I readily admit we got our asses handed to us today. :>((

Hell Puppy
06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Soccer...

Isn't that the game I saw a bunch of girls playing as I drove by the park earlier?

JR
06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Soccer...

Isn't that the game I saw a bunch of girls playing as I drove by the park earlier?
i often think about weird that it is. people don't really stop to think about how popular it is in the US because all we see are baseball, football and basketball superstar/celebrities and all the hype and show around it and of course, soccer is not televised here as other sports are.

but we all played (well... i am sure most of us did. i did in elementary school and junior high. where I live in washington, there are tons of leagues and adult leagues, all schools have teams and so on...yet ask someone to name one player in professional *soccer* and they might know who david beckham is... but only because he married a spice girl.

Hell Puppy
06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
i often think about weird that it is. people don't really stop to think about how popular it is in the US because all we see are baseball, football and basketball superstar/celebrities and all the hype and show around it and of course, soccer is not televised here as other sports are.

but we all played (well... i am sure most of us did. i did in elementary school and junior high. where I live in washington, there are tons of leagues and adult leagues, all schools have teams and so on...yet ask someone to name one player in professional *soccer* and they might know who david beckham is... but only because he married a spice girl.

In the south, i think soccer is what kids play whose mom's are afraid they'll get hurt playing football.

I've tried to watch it, really I have....I find it boring as shit.

bluemoney
06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Soccer ( In the US ) is the "Skim Milk" of sports, because only about 2% of people follow it.

JR
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
In the south, i think soccer is what kids play whose mom's are afraid they'll get hurt playing football.

I've tried to watch it, really I have....I find it boring as shit.

any sport is boring if you dont know the in's and out's, the players, the strength's and weakness's of the players and teams, the strategies involved, the rivalries, the standings of the teams.... ahhhh fuck it. yeah i agree, its boring.

Hell Puppy
06-13-2006, 12:10 AM
any sport is boring if you dont know the in's and out's, the players, the strength's and weakness's of the players and teams, the strategies involved, the rivalries, the standings of the teams.... ahhhh fuck it. yeah i agree, its boring.

if we had hooligans or whatever they call them starting fights and stuff here, Americans would find it much more interesting.

i'm convinced they riot out of boredom.

gonzo
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
if we had hooligans or whatever they call them starting fights and stuff here, Americans would find it much more interesting.

i'm convinced they riot out of boredom.

We do. We call it ECW!

Useless
06-13-2006, 12:34 AM
i'm convinced they riot out of boredom.Firstly that's fucking funny. :yowsa:

Now, my brother-in-law (pronounced: cocksucker) played soccer in college (benchwarmer) and I got to watch him play a couple of times. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be, but keep in mind, I'm no sports fan. I enjoy hockey if I can go see it live - wouldn't ever watch it on tv. Football (American) bores me to tears. Too much stoppig, starting, moving back and starting again so they can stop again. And baseball is just dumb. (Sorry) Soccer played correctly is a wonderfully aggressive game, but you've got to watch for it. The visciousness of the sport is not as overt as with our football here.

What is most interesting is how that sport has a tremendous following through out Europe and not much of one here yet. I think we Americans are stretched thin with too many big sports; to a point where we're just not very welcoming to anything new. Or soccer could just suck. What the fuck do I know?