PDA

View Full Version : Congress overreaching on the web once again

TheEnforcer
05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Quit trying to fucking tell me what i can spend my damn money on. Assholes are gfonna make banks charge even more fees than they already do if they have to deal with this shit.

http://news.com.com/House+panel+OKs+Net+gambling+ban/2100-1030_3-6076972.html?tag=nefd.top

House panel OKs Net gambling ban

By Reuters

Published: May 25, 2006, 11:01 AM PDT
TalkBack E-mail Print
The U.S. House Judiciary Committee approved legislation on Thursday aimed at banning Internet gambling, an estimated $12 billion industry.

The measure would update and expand existing law to cover all forms of interstate gambling in the United States and would bar a gambling business from accepting payment in the form of credit cards, checks, wire and Internet transfers.

It would also prohibit gambling on an estimated 2,300 Internet gambling sites, many run by offshore companies, and also require banks to block gambling transactions by customers, which the industry has argued would be difficult to identify.

Despite the committee's approval, 25-11, it remains unclear whether the legislation will reach floor votes in the House and Senate this year. Congress has relatively few work days left in 2006 because of the November congressional elections.

"The legislation is badly needed because...the amount of money going to these illegal unregulated offshore enterprises has quadrupled" in the past few years, said Rep. Bob Goodlatte, the author of the legislation and a Virginia Republican.

Under U.S. law, interstate gambling over telephone wires is already illegal and other gambling is banned unless regulated by the states.

"In the United States, gambling is essentially illegal unless regulated by the states. This is a measure to work through that to make sure that the states are indeed protected in their right to continue to regulate gambling," Goodlatte said.

Some Democrats objected to the measure. They said it would do little to prevent underage gambling and it unfairly placed a regulatory burden on local banks to comply.

The poker industry, which has exploded in recent years, argued that the bill unfairly targets its game while legalizing online betting for horse racing, Internet lotteries and certain fantasy sports.

"If games of chance are given a free pass in this bill, it makes no sense that a skill game like poker should be banned. Congress should not be picking online winners and losers," said Poker Players Alliance President Michael Bolcerek.

Bhelliom
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I read this yesterday,

Not only does it seem to me that it will be difficult to enforce, but that it just about cripples an industry.

12 billion a year.

and prevent underage gambling? here's how you do that... dont' give minors a credit card to gamble with.

child "can i use your credit card"
parent" for what?"
Child "so I can play poker online"
Parent "no"

see how easy that is? otherwise you have to be 18 to get a CC and therefore are old enough to gamble.

TheEnforcer
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
LOL

No shit eh? Damn I hate it when the government tries to play nanny to me. Pisses me off to no end.

Mike AI
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Congress is overreaching everywhere!!! The immigration bill the Senate has put out is a freaking joke. The republican party is not longer the party of Conservatives - no longer the party of Reagan.

Throw all the bums out!

TheEnforcer
05-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Congress is overreaching everywhere!!! The immigration bill the Senate has put out is a freaking joke. The republican party is not longer the party of Conservatives - no longer the party of Reagan.

Throw all the bums out!

I hope the House rejects the crappy senate and white house approved bill. I'm with house conservatives 100% on this one. Just an FYI Mike. Reagen did a HUGE amnesty bill way back just as, if not more, bad than this bill.

Mike AI
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I hope the House rejects the crappy senate and white house approved bill. I'm with house conservatives 100% on this one. Just an FYI Mike. Reagen did a HUGE amnesty bill way back just as, if not more, bad than this bill.

Yeah I think in 1986, and it was Kennedy who was a co-author. I guess some things do not change.

Might be time to head to Mexico to live.