PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards as legal proof of age- adult sites

Dianna Vesta
04-27-2006, 07:00 PM
can someone show me where it is written where a credit card is legal proof of age as an adult? Does anyone know?

adultweblist
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I would think a lawyer would know.

Why not call one.

Grump
04-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Several Justice Dept. reports have indicated that asking for a credit card is sufficient to establish that a website is meeting it's obligation to keep children out. Not sure if I can find the links again, if I can I'll post them.

The Credit Card Companies however, have a strict policy that their cards are NOT to be used as age verification.

The answer is... ???

Jace
04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.firstamendment.com/protecting_banner.php3

check out Sec 231 in this - http://www.epic.org/free_speech/censorship/copa.html

JR
04-27-2006, 10:18 PM
``(1) Defense.--It is an affirmative defense to prosecution
under this section that the defendant, in good faith, has
restricted access by minors to material that is harmful to
minors--

``(A) by requiring use of a credit card, debit account,
adult access code, or adult personal identification number;

``( B ) by accepting a digital certificate that verifies age;
or
``(C) by any other reasonable measures that are feasible
under available technology.

``(2) Protection for use of defenses.--No cause of action
may be brought in any court or administrative agency against
any person on account of any activity that is not in
violation of any law punishable by criminal or civil penalty,
and that the person has taken in good faith to implement a
defense authorized under this subsection or otherwise to
restrict or prevent the transmission of, or access to, a
communication specified in this section.

Grump
04-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Thats what was proposed in COPA, but it's been struck down twice by the courts.

I remember reading a report that included a narrative by a Justice Dept. investigator stating that upon seeing a page asking for a credit card he moved on to investigate other sites, concluding that the first one had met the requirements.

JR
04-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Thats what was proposed in COPA, but it's been struck down twice by the courts.

I remember reading a report that included a narrative by a Justice Dept. investigator stating that upon seeing a page asking for a credit card he moved on to investigate other sites, concluding that the first one had met the requirements.

its not on the books?
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/laws/majorlaw/copa.htm

Grump
04-27-2006, 11:57 PM
It is on the books, but has been ruled as unconstitutional and an injunction issued. I think the injunction is still in place.

Legal Commentary by Clyde DeWitt
http://www.avnonline.com/index.php?Primary_Navigation=Editorial&Action=View_Article&Content_ID=105736
"On remand from the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals has once again upheld the preliminary injunction, finding that COPA likely is unconstitutional and, in so doing, condemning it even more roundly than before. The published opinion lists page after page of defects in the law, some of which are quite innovative from a constitutional law perspective."

A more recent article:

http://www.avn.com/index.php?Primary_Navigation=Articles&Action=View_Article&Content_ID=226106]

"Unmentioned by Wray is the question of whether the federal obscenity laws will survive the challenges presented in the Child Online Protection Act case, which has been before the U.S. Supreme Court twice, and which will soon go to trial in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The Third Circuit Court of Appeals has already opined twice that the international nature of the Internet exempts it from the "community standards" language of the three-prong test for obscenity established in the Miller v. California decision. With that issue still way up in the air, it seems premature for the Task Force to attempt to target material on the Internet."

Grump
04-28-2006, 12:08 AM
BTW, not looking for an argument JR. Yes it is a law, one that has twice been ruled unconstitutional and who's enforcement has been barred by the courts through injunctions.

It is also probably the only law that directly addresses Dianna's question.

JR
04-28-2006, 12:10 AM
BTW, not looking for an argument JR. Yes it is a law, one that has twice been ruled unconstitutional and who's enforcement has been barred by the courts through injunctions.

It is also probably the only law that directly addresses Dianna's question.
i was just curious and sincerely wanted to know. this conversation has came up many times over the years and i keep forgetting where it all stands and no one acts within the law anyway (i.e. 2257, warning pages etc) :blink:
\
would have helped me to just read the first link jace posted.

Grump
04-28-2006, 12:35 AM
It is a tough position to be in. To comply with the law (COPA), we have to use a service (Credit Cards) who's terms specifically prohibit us from using thier service for that purpose.

Winetalk.com
04-28-2006, 05:10 AM
can someone show me where it is written where a credit card is legal proof of age as an adult? Does anyone know?

I am not touching this one wiht a 100 ft pole...the memories of the late 90's are still alive and well.
;)

Dianna Vesta
04-28-2006, 06:58 AM
It is a tough position to be in. To comply with the law (COPA), we have to use a service (Credit Cards) who's terms specifically prohibit us from using thier service for that purpose.

Yes this all very interesting & although I knew it was a law I had no idea it was struck down or the part about Visa prohibiting its use as age. I guess that affects their market for teens & kids having credit cards. :hmm:

Thanks everyone. I found the link. There was a topic on another board and I couldn't remember where it was.

pam
04-28-2006, 07:26 AM
My processor will not allow me to use a credit card for age verification. Remember, this is why all those AVS companies folded and became AEN -- you can't use a credit card for age verification.