View Full Version : LOL @ Alexa

Jace
04-19-2006, 05:14 PM
So, at the first of March my site was around 230k, or something like that

now, this month, I have doubled the traffic to our site and I am at 319K

LOL @ Alexa

TheEnforcer
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Ahhh.. but what have OTHER sites done to their traffic in that same time frame... remember that positioning is relative to what others are doing as well.

Toby
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Alexa is a joke. I have a site that probably does half the daily traffic that tabithastoybox does that ranks just under 42,000

Winetalk.com
04-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Toby, Jace,
you are newbs,
NUFF said.

Bishop
04-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Alexa ranking don't mean much when your talking about numbers that high. A handful of visitors per day showing up at your site with the toolbar installed will vary your ranking significantly in that range.

Probably the post accurate Alexa rankings are for those sites that are ranked inside the top 10k. Even that is all relative and can only be trusted so much.

Some sites will rank very well in Alexa and that is because of the audience they attract. People who work in internet marketing or advertising fields are more likely to have a toolbar installed. If you go to webmaster hangouts you will find over inflated numbers because of the nature of the users who visit the site. However there are exceptions... I buy traffic from some webmaster resource sites that have been around for a very, very long time that have terrible rankings but excellent traffic volumes. I know of one site I have been doing business with for years and will always do business with and I think their ranking is like 350k on Alexa. They don't have a message board but they draw great traffic off the search engines for their resources and articles.

Take Alexa with a grain of salt.. I know from looking at my stats that Alexa can show that I had a terrible day and I may have had a record day. It is a starting point if you have no other data to reference from but like I said unless you have a ranking that is a very low number the results are simple to skew.

Toby
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Toby, Jace,
you are newbs,
NUFF said.
:finger011

Winetalk.com
04-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Toby,
rhetorical is gone...wanna blow me? The starting bid is $10

Mike AI
04-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Who cares what Alexa says. Go by your own stats, traffic, signups, etc...

Jace
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Who cares what Alexa says. Go by your own stats, traffic, signups, etc...
I already do

hence "LOL @ ALEXA"

Hammer
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Fortunately for me, advertisers pay attentioin to Alexa. ;)

Bishop
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Fortunately for me, advertisers pay attentioin to Alexa. ;)

Advertisers will always pay attention to tools like Alexa.. it is a starting point. I always check the Alexa ranking on a site before I buy traffic. If someone tells me they have a mountain of traffic and all other sources say otherwise.. it is an early warning system. haha.. It isn't the end all be all though. I wish it was it would make decisions a hell of alot easier!

Hammer
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
It could actually be a very good litmus test if IE and FF had Alexa automatically added to their toolbars instead of only counting hits from surfers with the Alexa toolbar installed.

Jace
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
It could actually be a very good litmus test if IE and FF had Alexa automatically added to their toolbars instead of only counting hits from surfers with the Alexa toolbar installed.
microsoft xp comes with alexa built into IE on most systems

Hammer
04-20-2006, 12:39 PM
microsoft xp comes with alexa built into IE on most systems
Not exactly. There is a 'releated info' sidebar option that displays information provided by Alexa, but it is not the same thing as the Alexa toolbar and a surfers hits are not counted to your site unless he leaves the sidebar open while surfing or actually installed the Alexa toolbar, which must be done manually.

http://pages.alexa.com/exec/faqsidos/help/index.html?index=65

Jace
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Not exactly. There is a 'releated info' sidebar option that displays information provided by Alexa, but it is not the same thing as the Alexa toolbar and a surfers hits are not counted to your site unless he leaves the sidebar open while surfing or actually installed the Alexa toolbar, which must be done manually.

http://pages.alexa.com/exec/faqsidos/help/index.html?index=65

the past 3 systems that I have installed windows xp on this month have had alexa automatically on there...I install windows xp, run spybot, and it is always there...i guess spybot is wrong or something, but these are fresh installs, and alexa is always there

in fact I just did a fresh install last week of windows on this laptop I am on, and sure enough, I ran spybot after the install and alexa had to be deleted

Hammer
04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
You missed the point. Alexa shows up as being installed because it is part of the browser, but we're talking about Alexa rankings here and Alexa does not automatically count hits from a surfer using IE even though Alexa provides a sidebar feature.

Jace
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
You missed the point. Alexa shows up as being installed because it is part of the browser, but we're talking about Alexa rankings here and Alexa does not automatically count hits from a surfer using IE even though Alexa provides a sidebar feature.
I think I am missing the point....what is the sidebar? I have never seen that anywhere...and the thing that was deleted specifically said "alexa tracker" when it was deleted

Jace
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
i am reading about it now...sorry, didn't read your post fully