PDA

View Full Version : Some people have NO clue.

fusionx
04-15-2006, 12:25 PM
A listing a ScriptLance.com (bold added, name removed):

Project: Clone site xpeep/myspace
ID: 1144594971
Budget: Maximum $100
Created: 4/9/2006 at 11:02 EST
Bidding Ends: 4/16/2006 at 11:02 EST (2 days left)
Project Creator: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rating: (No Feedback Yet)
Description: I don't know much about building a website or maintain one
so I'm looking for a fully automated clone site of myspace so i can create a free networking adult site like xpeeps.com

I want yahoo to host the site so if you know how to build a site that will work with yahoo hosting then i need you

Job Type: PHP

Database System: MySQL
Operating System: (I don't know)

Rcourt64
04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
How come he's getting bits ? :scratchin

fusionx
04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
People trying to sell him scripts.

The last bid comment was something like "it can't be done" :)

gonzo
04-15-2006, 01:49 PM
People trying to sell him scripts.

The last bid comment was something like "it can't be done" :)
Ahahahaha. Only an idiot would try to clone Xpeeps!

Rcourt64
04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Ahahahaha. Only an idiot would try to clone Xpeeps!

they did already, it's called qpeeps.

I'd like to talk to you, when u find some time please sir.

thank u

gonzo
04-15-2006, 02:13 PM
they did already, it's called qpeeps.

I'd like to talk to you, when u find some time please sir.

thank u

No I wont delete your profile on Qpeeps.

Rcourt64
04-15-2006, 02:17 PM
No I wont delete your profile on Qpeeps.

Leave my profiles alone u fat fuck. u mess with my head enough here already.lol

"No touchy my qpeeps profile"

Rcourt64
04-15-2006, 03:49 PM
ok, ok, seriously dude,
I need your advice man, & bishop went to the mountains. So I'm asking you :wnw:

sarettah
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Let's see, that's what.... Like 5 cents an hour?

:yowsa:

Trev
04-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Xpeeps is vbulletin, 2 weeks to do the hacks and tweaks and $160 for the script, plus my bill on top and I'll give him an xpeeps clone. :)

sarettah
04-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Xpeeps is vbulletin, 2 weeks to do the hacks and tweaks and $160 for the script, plus my bill on top and I'll give him an xpeeps clone. :)

Xpeeps WAS vbulletin.

That's a pretty heavily modified motherfucker there.

:blink:

edited in: And Two Weeks. Now you talking programmer stuff :okthumb:

Trev
04-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Xpeeps WAS vbulletin.

That's a pretty heavily modified motherfucker there.

:blink:
VB is still it's core, some heavy template changes, maybe the odd db change here and there but nothing earth shattering.

Trev
04-16-2006, 12:06 PM
edited in: And Two Weeks. Now you talking programmer stuff :okthumb:
hahaha, I'm trying to create the illusion I know what I'm talking about lol ;)

Rcourt64
04-16-2006, 01:01 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Let's see, that's what.... Like 5 cents an hour?

:yowsa:

Thats what I thought also, this is why I ask why he's receiving bits?
I'm assuming these are "pre-build scripts" that people sit on wating for suckers to come along & try to sell them?
Because to clone xpeeps would be a very long & tedious project. & probably thats why they post with there bits saying "can't be done", But he'll sell you the script anyway.:whistling hehehe.
Which brings me to another question? "Is this what writters do?, build scripts and sit on them? if thats the case, thats a pretty stupid idea, cause if I have developed a good script, I would have it up and running, not waiting & hiding it, till a lousy $100 buck offer comes along.

Trev
04-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Because to clone xpeeps would be a very long & tedious project.
Quite the opposite, someone who knows vbulletin well could clone xpeeps with ease.

Making it as successful as xpeeps is another animal altogether though.

fusionx
04-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Quite the opposite, someone who knows vbulletin well could clone xpeeps with ease.

Making it as successful as xpeeps is another animal altogether though.

Actually, Trev is correct - anyone could build xpeeps, or something similar. Having the relationships and the branding to make it work is an entrely different story.

"With ease" - is a little light on the reality.

Just for fun, xPeeps has so far involved 4 programmers working full time, plus other people in marketing, IT, etc, and we're looking at around 20,000 man hours so far. There's probably another 5,000 man hours until we get it exactly as we want it.

It's more than just some templates and some DB changes - we've ripped out 90% of vbulletin core code because, frankly, it sucks ass for anything other than a message board. Non-relational data storage, inclusion of *everything* on every page, etc..

But yeah - creating an application like xPeeps is not terribly hard. Creating a product like xPeeps is pretty freakin' difficult!

Trev
04-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Actually, Trev is correct - anyone could build xpeeps, or something similar. Having the relationships and the branding to make it work is an entrely different story.

"With ease" - is a little light on the reality.

Just for fun, xPeeps has so far involved 4 programmers working full time, plus other people in marketing, IT, etc, and we're looking at around 20,000 man hours so far. There's probably another 5,000 man hours until we get it exactly as we want it.

It's more than just some templates and some DB changes - we've ripped out 90% of vbulletin core code because, frankly, it sucks ass for anything other than a message board. Non-relational data storage, inclusion of *everything* on every page, etc..

But yeah - creating an application like xPeeps is not terribly hard. Creating a product like xPeeps is pretty freakin' difficult!
Well maybe with ease was a tad light on reality :)

Why take out 90% of something though? Wouldn't it have been easier to start from scratch?

Not to take anything away from you guys though, you've done an awesome job. :)

Rcourt64
04-16-2006, 02:18 PM
hey Trev, u have pretty eyes...:1puppydog

fusionx
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Why take out 90% of something though? Wouldn't it have been easier to start from scratch?

And the reality of business rears it's ugly head.

One word: deadlines.

Time to market was key for this site. We needed to be first, and the fastest way was vBulletin. Of course, now we're paying for that.

Rcourt64
04-17-2006, 02:38 AM
And the reality of business rears it's ugly head.

One word: deadlines.

Time to market was key for this site. We needed to be first, and the fastest way was vBulletin. Of course, now we're paying for that.

So is that why these guys sell scripts ? "kinda like a pre-made templete thing for vBulletin"? or have I lost the point of this thread :huh: ?

fusionx
04-17-2006, 07:38 AM
So is that why these guys sell scripts ? "kinda like a pre-made templete thing for vBulletin"? or have I lost the point of this thread :huh: ?

A lot of people sell scripts - I used to sell a zip code radius script. I wrote it because I needed it for a web site, then since I had it, I also sold it. Made about $10k over three or four years with it, and didn't do anything other than put it up on a web site.

pam
04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I was looking for some help with an eBook I'm writing so visited SL. Saw someone asking for a writer to write them an eBook of 250-300 pages for under $100.

fusionx
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I was looking for some help with an eBook I'm writing so visited SL. Saw someone asking for a writer to write them an eBook of 250-300 pages for under $100.

They'll find someone. If you can market e-books, you can make some some $$$ for doing very little. Give a decent writer an outline and they'll fill in the blanks. Not surprisingly, you'll find people from eastern europe who will write their asses off for $100.00, who have good english writing skills.

Hell Puppy
04-17-2006, 09:15 PM

Created: 4/9/2006 at 11:02 EST
Bidding Ends: 4/16/2006 at 11:02 EST (2 days left)
Project Creator: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rating: (No Feedback Yet)
Description: I don't know much about building a website or maintain one
so I'm looking for a fully automated clone site of myspace so i can create a free networking adult site like xpeeps.com

I want yahoo to host the site so if you know how to build a site that will work with yahoo hosting then i need you

Job Type: PHP

Database System: MySQL
Operating System: (I don't know)

I think Trev is gonna have to raise his budget slightly....