PDA

View Full Version : Extremely non-adult related question...anyone know where to get kerosene?

Jace
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I know, it is really off topic...but I am at my last resort

i need to get some kerosene to burn down a tree stump in our yard, I have it partially decomposed, but now I can't find a place to buy the kerosene to finish it off...i have tried home depot, etc...but everyone says that is a winter item and it is now off season

Bishop
03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Try a gas station. Often times you will see what looks like a gas pump that is away from all the other pumps. Odds are its a kerosene pump.

gonzo
03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Ace Hardware has it up here where I live. Plenty of trailer parks round here!

Jace
03-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Ace Hardware has it up here where I live. Plenty of trailer parks round here!

hm, there is an Ace right down the road....maybe I will try that and also look for pumps at gas stations on the way

Cunnilingus
03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
couldn't you just use a little gasoline if it came down to it? why the need for kerosene specifically? :)

Jace
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
couldn't you just use a little gasoline if it came down to it? why the need for kerosene specifically? :)

from what I understand, Kerosene burns slower

Dravyk
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
from what I understand, Kerosene burns slower The sun and a big magnifying glass burns slower still. :p

Jace
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
The sun and a big magnifying glass burns slower still. :p

ha, yeah....well, it needs to burn slow....so that it gets it all...with gas from what I understand it will burn it quick, but not all of it because the gas burns up to quickly

SirenaRose
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Have you checked into your camping supply places? Kerosene is what fuels a lot of the lamps & stoves that you would use for camping/hunting/etc, so I'd think that they would have something like that available...

SirenaRose
03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Oh and also check with your local landscaper companies...See if they will tell you where you can get some locally, or if they have a better suggestion for getting rid of the tree...

Peaches
03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, and some of the quickiemart type places sell it. I actually have a can of it I'd give you but it's 5 years old and I think it breaks down after a certain point :( But it maybe good for what you need it for.

Jace
03-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, and some of the quickiemart type places sell it. I actually have a can of it I'd give you but it's 5 years old and I think it breaks down after a certain point :( But it maybe good for what you need it for.

As I said previously, Home Depot and places of that nature don't carry it because it is "out of season"

i tried Ace too, they also claimed "out of season"

I guess I am shit out of luck

Jace
03-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Have you checked into your camping supply places? Kerosene is what fuels a lot of the lamps & stoves that you would use for camping/hunting/etc, so I'd think that they would have something like that available...

yup, tried the camping stores, most things don't use kerosene anymore....most use a new form of "camping oil"

Jace
03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh and also check with your local landscaper companies...See if they will tell you where you can get some locally, or if they have a better suggestion for getting rid of the tree...

yeah, they always tell me to hire them to dig the stump out...LOL...fuck that

Peaches
03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Seriously, if you want to come up here or you can wait until I come back down there, you can have the can I have. It's several gallons and 5 years old so it hold no guarantee. But the price is right :)

Jace
03-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Seriously, if you want to come up here or you can wait until I come back down there, you can have the can I have. It's several gallons and 5 years old so it hold no guarantee. But the price is right :)
thank you so much...I am going to shop around a bit, but if I can't find anything soon, I will take you up on that...next time you come down you can just bring it with cha

SirenaRose
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Hmmm...check with an equipment rental place that rents out kerosene heaters, the heavy duty kind, and construction equipment. My ex-boss used to have to use kerosene all throughout the year, and would get it at places like that...I don't know your zip or I'd google..

Rcourt64
03-27-2006, 09:38 PM
On the corner of Albermarle Rd & Farm Pond Ln,
Across the street from the Bi-Lo,
There's a Texaco...
Ask for Habibi...
"Tell him Rcourt sent ya," :cool2:
He's got it there under the table..."Shhh."

Jace
03-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmmm...check with an equipment rental place that rents out kerosene heaters, the heavy duty kind, and construction equipment. My ex-boss used to have to use kerosene all throughout the year, and would get it at places like that...I don't know your zip or I'd google..

oooo....that is a good idea

you know, this is such a small amount that I need too...LOL...but it is important, i can't put in my bird bath fountain with that dump stump there!

VooMan
03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure I follow...

You need kerosene to pour on a stump to make it break down? Or to set it on fire?

I've had a number of trees taken down and I always had the stump ground. Pretty reasonable prices from Pro Tree... I am curious as to what the kerosene does though. I've never heard of using that.

Jace
03-28-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm not sure I follow...

You need kerosene to pour on a stump to make it break down? Or to set it on fire?

I've had a number of trees taken down and I always had the stump ground. Pretty reasonable prices from Pro Tree... I am curious as to what the kerosene does though. I've never heard of using that.

it just an old fashioned method of stump removal

There is a tree stump removal product called, "Stump Remover" that breaks down the wood fiber of stumps, leaving them porous. The porous wood then absorbs kerosene readily. After the porous wood is soaked with kerosene and ignited, it will burn away. The flame is a low, smoldering flame.

SirenaRose
03-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Ya know, this thread could turn into adult related afterall...If the stump is pretty low burning, it could make some interesting "artsy" pictures of Tabitha for her site...Just a thought ;)

Bishop
03-28-2006, 08:50 AM
On the corner of Albermarle Rd & Farm Pond Ln,
Across the street from the Bi-Lo,
There's a Texaco...
Ask for Habibi...
"Tell him Rcourt sent ya," :cool2:
He's got it there under the table..."Shhh."

Familiar with Charlotte are you? Jace is in the Atlanta area though.

VooMan
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
it just an old fashioned method of stump removal

Ah, gotcha... I never heard of that. :)

Jace
03-28-2006, 04:44 PM
woo-hoo

I went back up to Ace because I heard that they keep Kerosene in the paint section

Asked the lady at the counter again and she ssaid it is a seasonal item...I went digging for myself, and sure enough, I got a huge bottle of it off the bottom shelf in the paint section

TIME TO BURN!!!! haha

gonzo
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
woo-hoo

I went back up to Ace because I heard that they keep Kerosene in the paint section

Asked the lady at the counter again and she ssaid it is a seasonal item...I went digging for myself, and sure enough, I got a huge bottle of it off the bottom shelf in the paint section

TIME TO BURN!!!! haha

"You'll never learn 'till you burn" - Anders Manga

sarettah
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Just for future reference kerosene and diesel fuel (which is often kerosene) can often be swapped out.