PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac/Google

Peaches
02-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Was watching the news tonight, it wasn't TiVo'd so I got stuck watching commercials.

There was one for the G6 (I think that's the name?) where they said "Type Pontiac into Google" and actually showed the Google website. They have a paid spot there, obviously, but I thought it was a nifty advertising gimmick :)

Jace
02-18-2006, 01:04 AM
they also have the top listing ;)

good for google and pontiac both, i wonder if they paid google to use their name or if google paid them to include them, or neither?

sarettah
02-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I heard the commercial earlier tonight... something like "you don't have to believe us, google pontiac and see for yourself"

Very cool on Pontiacs part :okthumb:

Hell Puppy
02-18-2006, 04:45 AM
Better deal for google than pontiac...

One shot for Pontiac, you go, see the car, see a couple of other pontiacs, done.

If by some strange chance you've been under a rock and didn't already know about google, you're exposed to it and much more likely to use it over and over.

Mike AI
02-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Actually there was a scandel with this. I noticed the commecial a month ago, and assumed Pontiac and Google had a cross-promotion deal. Apparently they did not, infact, Google originall sold the key word Pontiac to Mazda!! When Google was called on it, saying that is not a relevant search, Google said sure it was because the Mazda page was a comparison of the new Mazdas to the Pontiacs.

I beleive the article was in USA Today. I figured whoever created the Pontiac ad was probably fired.

Google is evil.

Peaches
02-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Actually there was a scandel with this. I noticed the commecial a month ago, and assumed Pontiac and Google had a cross-promotion deal. Apparently they did not, infact, Google originall sold the key word Pontiac to Mazda!! When Google was called on it, saying that is not a relevant search, Google said sure it was because the Mazda page was a comparison of the new Mazdas to the Pontiacs.

I beleive the article was in USA Today. I figured whoever created the Pontiac ad was probably fired.

Google is evil.
Ad, veddy interesting.....I guess I should sometimes read other newspapers besides the Ellijay Times Courier ;)

Mike AI
02-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Peaches I found the article for you. I normally do not read USA Today - but I was on the road and it was delivered to the hotel room.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-01-30-google-gm-mazda_x.htm

Peaches
02-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Peaches I found the article for you. I normally do not read USA Today - but I was on the road and it was delivered to the hotel room.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-01-30-google-gm-mazda_x.htm
Thanks! That IS interesting and brings up a whole new ballpark - will Google start telling what adwords you can't purchase?

gonzo
02-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks! That IS interesting and brings up a whole new ballpark - will Google start telling what adwords you can't purchase?

They already do.