PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Question

Dianna Vesta
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Is anyone usng Wireless Internet? I don't mean wifi exactly but the data plans & modems for laptops.

If so, can you answer these questions;

1: What service are you subscribed to?

2: How do you like it? What type of speeds are you really getting?

3: Can you upload or just download?

4: Do you have an unlimited plan? If so, what are you paying for it?

Mike AI
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
The Verizon wirless card works great!

Dianna Vesta
02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I had Verizon cell service and it didn't get good reception in most of the areas I was in. I switched to Cingular and that works great in most areas.

I just signed up for a special promotion at Cingular unlimited data plan for 59.95 which is pretty cheap. She said it's MUCH faster then dial up. The modem was only 99.00 with a mail in rebate.

I'm going to give it a try and see how I like it. I don't normally like working on a lap top but if I can sit outside, work at the beach, wherever I get cell service then it's all good.

Thanks Mike!

Mike AI
02-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I actually use Cingular for cell phone as well. They are all about the same. $60 unlimited a month is a good deal. I have saved that much money when I travel - so many hotels charge $10+ a day for unlimited internet connection. That adds up quick.

Matt Collins
02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I use the TMobile wireless card and I think its $20 per month.

Other than the speeds are not that fast, its a good and valuable service. Just don't expect DSL speeds.

Good luck with it.

Matt

gonzo
02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I use the TMobile wireless card and I think its $20 per month.

Other than the speeds are not that fast, its a good and valuable service. Just don't expect DSL speeds.

Good luck with it.

Matt

How much was the card?

Hell Puppy
02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
If you go Tmobile, you want the NEW card, just release a couple of months back as it adds Edge in addition to GPRS. EDGE has "reasonable" speed, 256K or so. Dont plan on downloading any DVDs with it or anything, but for surfing and checking mail, it's very tolerable. The card also does 802.11b/g.

I forget what it costs, but if you already have your cell plan with Tmo, it's a fairly inexpensive add on for AYCE internet. The card is $199.

Verizon's stuff is a bit faster, but costs more. Not sure what Cingular is doing with data.

I have data on my RAZR, but it only does GPRS. In a pinch, I have used it to surf with a datalink to the PC, speed is about the same as dial up.

BruceMiller
02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
The Verizon wirless card works great!

We have Verizon for our cell phones, and are pretty happy, and were thinking about getting a wirless card for one of our laptops...

What kind of speeds are you normally getting with it?

Matt Collins
02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
The T-Mobile Sierra AirCard also costs $199 so it sounds like they are the same price as Verizon.

The monthly cost is $29.99. I have no complaints about coverage as its pretty extensive. If you have cell service, you can get on the laptop.

I also use the TMobile HotSpot, which for $19.95 a month allows me to log on at all Delta Crown Rooms, StarBucks and many airports.

Matt

Dianna Vesta
02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
I hate working on a laptop. I am going to be stuck in Florida for at least 4 months traveling back to VA one week a month. DSL and cable are not available. I could get satilite but the start cost are over 500.00 and they want a 15 month contract.

A land line is just not an option and cost almost as much as the data package when you include ISP. I just wish I could use this PCMIA modem/wireless connection on a desk top instead of lap top. I wondered if I could get a router or something.

Looks like I'll be sending CD's to Nat Net for uploading. Of course all of this happens right when I am in the middle of way too many projects.