PDA

View Full Version : Just another fucking designer

sarettah
01-19-2006, 10:03 AM
So, my wife and I were discussing our website(s) and she said to me, "I think we ought to hire someone to rework the sites".

I said to her that "I think I can do as good of a job as any designer out there", so she said "prove it".

Well, she had me, now I was gonna have go do it.

First I got on the computer and sent myself an email asking myself what I could do for me. Well, I spent 3 weeks, sending emails every couple of days but I finally got a hold of myself and found out I was a pretty busy guy.

I told myself that I might be able to give it a look see in a week or two but that if I continued to be so damned pushy I could go find myself someone else to do the job. I calmed down some and apologized to myself profusely and assured myself that it would never happen again.

Well, a couple of weeks went by, which gave me some time to check my references and get together a few times for drinks with people who I had worked to see how reliable I was and such, and I got real drunk one night and got on the computer at 3 in the morning and sent myself an estimate that didn't make much sense to me but I sent an email back accepting it anyway.

I sent myself a reply that said that I could start on it tomorrow but that I needed a 50% deposit before I could start.

So I paypalled myself the 50% deposit.

I haven't heard a peep out of myself since then and that was like 6 months ago.

I do occasionally get on the boards and call myself out but so far I haven't replied.

My wife told me that I should probably get a lawyer and sue myself and I told her that I thought I could do as good a job as any lawyer…..

:yowsa:

(adapted from a routine I heard on xm this morning about dealing with contractors. I didn't catch the comics name...sorry bout that)

gonzo
01-19-2006, 10:04 AM
You could have gotten the same results for 30% less by outsourcing it!

Jace
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
hahahaha, thanks for that wake up laugh man

el pres
01-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Programmers are even worse

:whistling

gonzo
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM

2 WEEKS!!!

sarettah
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM

I have always had a wonderful experience dealing with myself as a progammer. I always come in on the low end in bidding, always finish the job early and have always given myself very generous credit terms. Hell, I have even taken myself out to the titty clubs and let myself sleep with my wife in order to get the project at times.

I highly reccomend myself :okthumb:

Jace
01-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I have alwasy had a wonderful experience dealing with myself as a progammer. I always come in on the low end in bidding, always finish the job early and have always given myself very generous credit terms. Hell, I have even taken myself out to the titty clubs and let myself sleep with my wife in order to get the project at times.

I highly reccomend myself :okthumb:

speaking of which, I might have a job for you coming up, small one though

one of my clients just needs a control panel done so they don't have to use front page to update their sites...i will email you about it later when I need it

sarettah
01-19-2006, 11:09 AM
speaking of which, I might have a job for you coming up, small one though

one of my clients just needs a control panel done so they don't have to use front page to update their sites...i will email you about it later when I need it

I'll look for it :)

LadyMischief
01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6...ustomers.xhtml

;)

sarettah
01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6...ustomers.xhtml

;)

Um.. LadyM...

The link don't work :blink:

LadyMischief
01-19-2006, 08:33 PM
wtf? http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6XPrkpC0qtOlqw/Study-Poor-Web-Design-Alienates-Customers.xhtml

That will work :)

brand0n
01-19-2006, 11:34 PM
great stuff..

a great way to avoid that is talent hunting. you would be amazed at how many guys in your local college can do just as good of work for an outsourced price right in your home town.

i found a decent priced, working designer here in town at a bar one night just drinking/bsing... yea i guess i could do an adult site.. the rest was history.

in other words, look at all the options. like anything, if you put forth the effort youll get alot better results

Dianna Vesta
01-20-2006, 08:07 AM
great stuff..

a great way to avoid that is talent hunting. you would be amazed at how many guys in your local college can do just as good of work for an outsourced price right in your home town.

i found a decent priced, working designer here in town at a bar one night just drinking/bsing... yea i guess i could do an adult site.. the rest was history.

in other words, look at all the options. like anything, if you put forth the effort youll get alot better results

I've done this but in the long run I end up spending so much time training and teaching them on what needs to be done. Programmers for example- ccbill, CMS, etc. If they already worked on adult they know what to do and they probably already know scripts out there they can use.

I'm getting eady to work with some guys now, overseas, but it took me forever to find them. I tired like hell trying to find php programmers and designers here in the US. I couldn't find them! When I did find them their asses were plated in gold.