PDA

View Full Version : What are the benifites of trading links?

JoesHO
01-16-2006, 11:48 AM
can someone please explain that to me? and is the traffic leak a drawback? or is it something to not be concerned with ?

Peaches
01-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I haven't touched my sites in years so this could very well be outdated info, but back in the day it looked better to search engines.

JoesHO
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I haven't touched my sites in years so this could very well be outdated info, but back in the day it looked better to search engines.

How specifically, I have heard that before too, and now I hear it is bad to search engines, but I only hear it in the general context, I would like for someone to give me some specifics on the why's and whatfors

LadyMischief
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
it can helpful to introduce new and complimentary traffic streams into your traffic flow, however people who have TOO many outgoing links, or don't check those links closely can have a major (and profit-reducing) traffic leak. There are always profitable ways to stop those links itnernally.

vdc-Loki
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
LM, said it best already, but lemme expound on the search engine portion a bit.

head to google and type in link:www.sitenamehere.com you'll then see a list of all sites that are linked to the site you put in the search bar. now from what I have always understood the more backlinks you have the higher you rank in the engines, and with google it also helps with your PR.

Link trades = better SE Traffic

now keeping with Google, if your PR is say a 3 or higher, you'll also appear higher in the ranks of the listings, which is why ppl tend to look for PR3's or higher to do trades with, by getting backlinks on high ranking sites you in turn may get a higher CTR from viewers of those sites.

As for traffic leaks, my theroy while working with PHP Nuke has always been as follows:

Surfers will look at my main page first, then in about this order:
1: click on a main story
2: click on one of my navagational links
3: click on a block ad (125 x 125 - 150 x 150 button ad)
4: click on a banner ad on the top
5: click on a text link to another site

With that info, I don't fear the leak, as they have pretty much looked over my site already before they clicked on a text link from what my research is showing.

IMHO recip links are the BEST way to build quick "free" traffic and if your page is good and relitive to the linked site/s you'll also get many return (bookmarked) traffic as well.

-Loki-

Hell Puppy
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Link popularity continues to help SE rankings. And the bots are not stupid, particuarly google. I dont care how many class C's, server farms, etc, you have, if there's ANYTHING to tie them together (nic registration, etc) Google will detect the links that are your own. Trading links with others is a very organic way to grow link relevence and is thus very powerful. That which is real is always good for the engines in the long run.

Good for free sites, TGP's, etc. Not a good idea for paysites as affiliates will just see it as traffic leaks.

Link swaps can also be a great filtering mechanism. Use them to get rid of the traffic you know you cant convert hopefully in exchange for some you can. I do a lot of "wrong turn" links. Some might ask why I have a link for "mature" women on a teen site or why I have a link to redheads on a blonde site. Answer is simple, if they are into mature sites and accidently land on my teen site, I'd rather shuffle them off to someone who is more likely to have what they want and be able to convert them. And hopefully at some point get something I stand a better chance with back in return.

gonzo
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Heres the best FREE tip in the world I can give you.
Got a domain name that just sitting?

Take that fucker and load remote thumbs on it.

It builds traffic and stronger teeth and bones!

Robert
01-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Heres the best FREE tip in the world I can give you.
Got a domain name that just sitting?

Take that fucker and load remote thumbs on it.

It builds traffic and stronger teeth and bones!

I've done this with 60-something domains so far, very nice :okthumb:

facialfreak
01-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Link popularity continues to help SE rankings. And the bots are not stupid, particuarly google. I dont care how many class C's, server farms, etc, you have, if there's ANYTHING to tie them together (nic registration, etc) Google will detect the links that are your own. Trading links with others is a very organic way to grow link relevence and is thus very powerful. That which is real is always good for the engines in the long run.

Good for free sites, TGP's, etc. Not a good idea for paysites as affiliates will just see it as traffic leaks.

Link swaps can also be a great filtering mechanism. Use them to get rid of the traffic you know you cant convert hopefully in exchange for some you can. I do a lot of "wrong turn" links. Some might ask why I have a link for "mature" women on a teen site or why I have a link to redheads on a blonde site. Answer is simple, if they are into mature sites and accidently land on my teen site, I'd rather shuffle them off to someone who is more likely to have what they want and be able to convert them. And hopefully at some point get something I stand a better chance with back in return.

I'm sorry hell puppy but I have to disagree here ... no offense to you, but what you said is not 100% accurate.

I make a good 80% of my income from mainstream SEO, and I trade links with my own sites (they share 3 C classes on 3 dedicated servers, and a good half dozen of them even share same IPs) as part of my link-trading strategy without ANY penalty at all ... I actually own quite a few decent keywords and keyword phrases in google and MSN.

The safe rule of thumb is you can trade links with some of your own sites, provided you have many MORE trades from sites other than your own.

When trading links, a straight reciprocal link seems to be getting you less and less votes ... seek out people who own several sites, and "box" your trades ... IE: I will put links to your sites A, B, and C on my SITE D, and you post links to my sites E, F, and G on your site A ...

FF

Hell Puppy
01-17-2006, 04:40 AM
The safe rule of thumb is you can trade links with some of your own sites, provided you have many MORE trades from sites other than your own.

Which is exactly what I was trying to say. You have to do some outside link swaps for best results.

facialfreak
01-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Sorry bro .... I was referring to this specifically:

>>I dont care how many class C's, server farms, etc, you have, if there's ANYTHING to tie them together (nic registration, etc) Google will detect the links that are your own.

Maybe it just reads bad ... but I took it as a warning that trading links with your own sites was bad, which is not true.

anyhow ...
Cheers! :)

Hell Puppy
01-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Sorry bro .... I was referring to this specifically:

>>I dont care how many class C's, server farms, etc, you have, if there's ANYTHING to tie them together (nic registration, etc) Google will detect the links that are your own.

Maybe it just reads bad ... but I took it as a warning that trading links with your own sites was bad, which is not true.

anyhow ...
Cheers! :)

It can hurt you if the weighting is bad and the bot interprets what you're doing as an attempt to manipulate the engine.

Bottom line, certainly link your own stuff, but you've gotta have some outside link.

As with all things SEO, your mileage may vary.

facialfreak
01-17-2006, 08:01 AM
agreed