PDA

View Full Version : Care and Feeding of Small Pay Sites

softball
01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
After reading Ryan's posts, it ocurred to me that the weak link in Oprano is no real advice or expertise on actual small paysite maintenance and promotion. There is lots of tgp, free site, traffic moving advice which people seem to feel is the only area of profit, but not much on anything else. Amateurmasters is developing into a nice resource for that and IMHO, oprano could use a little more of that kind of input. It takes a different set of skills to successfully function in that world. There should be some good cross pollination that would help both traffic managers and paysite owners on this board.

RyanLanane
01-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The two are definitely entirely different worlds - Without a doubt.. While I am sure the basics are the same as they once were ... I am also sure that paysite management has evolved as much as the rest of this industry has. For that reason, I am going into my project considering myself a total newbie with no experience. You tend to be much more open minded with that mentality also ..

softball
01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
The two are definitely entirely different worlds - Without a doubt.. While I am sure the basics are the same as they once were ... I am also sure that paysite management has evolved as much as the rest of this industry has. For that reason, I am going into my project considering myself a total newbie with no experience. You tend to be much more open minded with that mentality also ..
But all the fundamentals still apply. Supply, demand, quality,price point,customer service, friendly navigation and the biggest fundamental of all, and this needs to be earned....trust. Surfers in niche markets are not drive by wankers who you want to shake down and probably never see again. They talk to each other....word of mouth...on boards and groups. You really need to gain their trust because they are suspicious and rightly so after being ripped off by pseudo niche players.

domtheboy
01-07-2006, 03:21 PM
They talk to each other....word of mouth...on boards and groups. You really need to gain their trust because they are suspicious and rightly so after being ripped off by pseudo niche players.

Which boards would be interesting to know if you are running a paysite - I would imagine you would be able to pick up all sorts of dos and donts directly from boards such as these ?

softball
01-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Which boards would be interesting to know if you are running a paysite - I would imagine you would be able to pick up all sorts of dos and donts directly from boards such as these ?

Well, Dom, that would depend entirely on your product. You know your market, seek out the gossip.

RyanLanane
01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Yahoo Groups I would imagine as being one Dom - although I haven't had the time to look, that will be a part of my marketing plan for personal traffic once the site is live without a doubt.

BTW Dom, you just made me realize a damn good idea .... Although I don't have the traffic or time for it - A Surfer board similar to GFY for this exact reason - discussing paysites... Cha Ching, seriously .. Password trading would be a bitch to manage though

softball
01-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I have just started using a protection product called Phantom Frog. It is geo targetted and picks up all kinds of stuff that others simply miss. It picks up a lot of under the radar password trading between small groups. The amount of this going on is substantial. But with a little sniffing, the results you get can lead you to some of the boards and groups you seek.
BTW, I am not pitching this programme. I just like it.

Jace
01-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Yahoo Groups I would imagine as being one Dom - although I haven't had the time to look, that will be a part of my marketing plan for personal traffic once the site is live without a doubt.

yahoo groups are completely dead...I milked those fuckers for years...they are just wasted space now

I have a ton I still own if anyone is interested in taking them over...shit, I can't find anyone to buy them, so if anyone wants them just send my new mainstream business some traffic, LOL

softball
01-07-2006, 05:03 PM
yahoo groups are completely dead...I milked those fuckers for years...they are just wasted space now

I have a ton I still own if anyone is interested in taking them over...shit, I can't find anyone to buy them, so if anyone wants them just send my new mainstream business some traffic, LOL

We do nothing with Yahoo groups except post our weekly newsletter. No work but up to 10K eyeballs could see the pitch. Probably more realistically a few thousand will. But I wouldn't shed a tear if they all vanished tomorrow.

Jace
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
We do nothing with Yahoo groups except post our weekly newsletter. No work but up to 10K eyeballs could see the pitch. Probably more realistically a few thousand will. But I wouldn't shed a tear if they all vanished tomorrow.

that is what we did too, until I started putting tracking codes on the links in the newsletters, when I finally did that was when I finally realized yahoo groups are pretty much worthless

softball
01-07-2006, 06:28 PM
You are probably right. It is just drill now I guess.