PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Rituals

MorganGrayson
12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
How many of you have traditions or rituals that you perform as the old year exits and the new one enters?

My husband and I are not "party people," so we never go out. Our main tradition is the "kiss at midnight." We have a nice New Year's Eve dinner and champagne...what kind of champagne depends on which one of us wins the "discussion." I like my champagne a little higher up the bubble chain than he cares about. :)

New Year's Day was effectively planned for us by my mother-in-law. The woman has a superstition for every occasion. For New Year's Day, you have to eat pork...so that you'll live "high off the hog" all year. (If you eat chicken on New Year's Day, you'll be "scratching for a living" all year.) So...we always have pork. (She asks every year.)

I don't make this stuff up. I couldn't.

How many of you make New Year's Resolutions? I always do, and the first one is always "let's see if I can not forget anyone's birthday or anniversary this year."

I'm a calendar freak. I copy over all the relevant dats on all the new calendars. With that many calendars you'd think it would be impossible for me to miss a birthday, etc. You'd be wrong.

I absolutely hate, loathe and despise the song "Auld Lang Syne." :mad:

We always watch somebody's dropping ball or fireworks on television.

Dravyk
12-21-2005, 02:26 AM
My one now deceased aunt, a blonde, was utterly convinced that the first person to walk in from outside into the house had to be dark haired (which would bring prosperity, good health, yadda yadda) the whole year long.

And that should anyone not dark haired come through the door first, well, I dunno, all kinds of evil, bad luck, hexes, locusts, whoknowswhat, would befallen them. :blink:

RyanLanane
12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
My normal ritual, getting so shit faced I don't remember New Years Eve - lol

Last year I didn't drink... First year... Went home miserable at 9 PM

This year I'm going to have fun sober if it kills me !! Already have a sitter, so a start will be a nice dinner (after waiting 3 hours to get a table) at Olive Garden. Their Tour of Italy is Primo !!

MorganGrayson
12-21-2005, 10:50 AM
My normal ritual, getting so shit faced I don't remember New Years Eve - lol

Last year I didn't drink... First year... Went home miserable at 9 PM

This year I'm going to have fun sober if it kills me !! Already have a sitter, so a start will be a nice dinner (after waiting 3 hours to get a table) at Olive Garden. Their Tour of Italy is Primo !!

My husband has taken a vow to never had have seconds on the salad then have the Tour of Italy, due to a "near injury" he suffered one evening when we went out. :) I swear, he was still digesting three days later. I had...something involving shrimp, I believe.

Dravyk...are you related to my husband? :blink:
I don't know where people come up with this shit. I got from my mother "if a clock stops, tragedy will happen, possibly a death." (Or...you could just replace the batteries.) Also "you can't wear an opal ring unless it's your birthstone." (Why? Finger will fall off?) Of course, this is the same woman that told me that unless I wore a tight bra "something...very...bad...would...happen" but she never told me WHAT. So, I was scared of my mind as a child and it wasn't until I got married and my husband said "damn, how do you BREATHE???" that I realized my own mother had scammed me into wearing a bra no horny high school kid could get his fingers into. Shitfuck. :hmm:

Peaches
12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
We eat collard greens and blackeyed peas on the 1st for good luck!

Here in the hills, when the clock strikes midnight, the guns go off ;)

RyanLanane
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeeeeeeee Haaaaa Peaches ;)

If you could drop me a line, I would appreciate it - had some questions someone in your field would be able to help out with.. or in your ex-field shall I say?

Psyched about School ?

Newton
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Few cohibas and a bottle of Lanson for myself :)

Trev
12-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Usually I'm blind drunk... not sure if I should break with tradition :scratchin

Dravyk
12-21-2005, 01:52 PM
that I realized my own mother had scammed me into wearing a bra no horny high school kid could get his fingers into. Shitfuck. :hmm: LOL! Too funny! Ok, not for you, but then that's what makes comedy funny, right? Other people's pain. Ok, that was sad. But, still ... funny! :p

MorganGrayson
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
LOL! Too funny! Ok, not for you, but then that's what makes comedy funny, right? Other people's pain. Ok, that was sad. But, still ... funny! :p

Thank you, Dravyk. :)

The only thing that makes having had grooves dug into my ribcage bearable is being able to tell that story and make other people laugh. :)

Are your skills still sharp on the "one handed unhook"? I'm tellin' ya, that one impressed the absolute hell out of me the first time I encountered it...and still impresses me to this day. Because I insist on seeing the bright side of every possible situation, one of the benefits of having arms that refuse to work occasionally is that I can say "uh...honey?" and he shows me that he's still got his high school skills intact. :yowsa:

Of course, the payment for that is the occasional "what in the absolute HELL did you do THAT for?" in the middle of the grocery store. :hmm:

Bhelliom
12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Rituals For me.

New years eve:
Get totally shit faced.

New years day:
Pay for night before.

This year however, I think my Gf has mentioned something about crepes with her family

we'll see how that goes

MorganGrayson
12-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Rituals For me.

New years eve:
Get totally shit faced.

New years day:
Pay for night before.

This year however, I think my Gf has mentioned something about crepes with her family

we'll see how that goes

I'd go for the real French crepes any time! :clapping:

Dravyk
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Are your skills still sharp on the "one handed unhook"? Dating high school girls who wore bras? Dontcha know the easy ones never ...

Hmm, I think I'll just stop here. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

MorganGrayson
12-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Dating high school girls who wore bras? Dontcha know the easy ones never ...

Hmm, I think I'll just stop here. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ah. Oops. Gotcha. ;)
I was the one stuck in the "flack bra," so those thoughts don't leap out in front of my mind. :)

RyanLanane
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Dating high school girls who wore bras? Dontcha know the easy ones never ...

And now they HAVE to wear Bras because they didn't then :yowsa:

MorganGrayson
12-22-2005, 08:11 PM
And now they HAVE to wear Bras because they didn't then :yowsa:

TMI...I was bound up like a Chinese foot and age still...ah, hell, never mind. :blink:

I should give ya a smack for taking a crack at old broads, Ryan. :hmm:

I'm feeling good though (got a package from my sister today!) so I'll give ya a kiss instead! :kiss:

And...:flash: