PDA

View Full Version : House and Senate target prostitution and pimps and johns

TheEnforcer
12-15-2005, 11:48 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/14/AR2005121402539.html

In a Shift, Anti-Prostitution Effort Targets Pimps and Johns

By Laura Blumenfeld
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 15, 2005; Page A01

The john peeked into the massage parlor.

"Hi, sweetie," said Kim, the manager of the Korean-run club in downtown Washington.

The john, a tall man in his fifties, stepped inside, smiling anxiously. He wore a chaste white shirt and sharply parted hair, and he smelled as if he'd had a drink.

"Look at his face -- very tired," Kim said as he went inside. "Sad people come. Stress people. This customer stay 30 minutes, then happy. Everybody happy."

Not everybody. A national campaign against prostitution has intensified in political, nonprofit and law enforcement circles, so much so that yesterday the House unanimously passed novel legislation, with the Senate expected to follow.

In the past, police sweeps have focused on the women. The new federal law would grant state and local law enforcement agencies funds to investigate and prosecute the men -- brothel owners and pimps. It would also target for arrest customers like the one at Kim's parlor lurching toward a girl in a bikini.

"You're out of luck," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), summing up the bill's message to the customers.

"The johns use and abuse these young women," said Rep. Deborah Pryce (R-Ohio). "And pimps -- you can call them slaveholders, the masters out in the field."

The attitudes of Pryce, who introduced the legislation in the House, and Cornyn, a sponsor in the Senate, reflect a shift in how the government and the public respond to the sex industry. Traditionally, women have been blamed as the source of the problem. But Pryce calls prostitution "modern-day slavery" in which teenage girls are exploited and men fuel the crime.

Behind the scenes, an unlikely coalition of evangelicals, feminists, liberal activists and conservative human rights advocates are pushing the issue. They are trying to reframe the way people talk about prostitutes, calling them "survivors" and signing off e-mails with the slogan "Abolition!"

On a local level, in the past three years, 12 states have passed anti-sex-trafficking legislation, which says that women who are prostituted through coercion, and minors who are sold for sex, are victims. In 15 other states, similar bills have been introduced. Although prostitution is illegal nationwide except in certain Nevada counties, advocates for the legislation said that enforcement and penalties for pimps and johns have been weak, including a tolerance for brothels that advertise as massage parlors.

"We want to drive a stake through the heart of these venal criminals," said Michael J. Horowitz, a coalition leader and a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute. "This is pure evil."
===============================

1st page of a four page article where it seems congress is mandating a shift in strategy on cracking down on prostitution where they are shifting resources to get the pimps and johns.

MorganGrayson
12-15-2005, 11:56 AM
First of all, I've always been of the opinion that prostitution should be legalized and regulated to assure that there are no underage prostitutes; the workers are protected from "slave owner" pimps; the workers can prosecute johns who abuse them just like any other woman abused by a man; they can get health benefits like any other employee; they pay taxes like any other employee.

Having said that, I'm glad they're going after the pimps.

I don't believe that some guy who wants a straight up transaction: he gives money, he gets a service, should be prosecuted. If he's abusive to the sex worker, nail his ass. But if he isn't, leave him the hell alone.

TheEnforcer
12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Pretty much a spot on post Morgan. :>))

As it is now it is a states rights issue and every state could make the chnages you mention if they wanted to.

MorganGrayson
12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Pretty much a spot on post Morgan. :>))

As it is now it is a states rights issue and every state could make the chnages you mention if they wanted to.

Thank you, TE. I know they could fix so many problems with rapidity if they chose to do so. Unfortunately, the phobic reaction to any sexual activity that doesn't involve a married, Christian couple on a Friday night, in the dark, under the covers, for the attempt to procreate that has always been rampant in the country carries on.

I've encountered a world of shit being a *woman* who holds these opinions. If a man says it, he gets "well, of course you think prostitution should be legalized, you're a pervert who wants his dick sucked." A woman gets an astounded look and lots of talk about "victimized" women. It's almost to the point where that's one word: victimizedwomen. I'm sick of it. Ladies, stand the fuck up, make a fist and scream at the top of your lungs "WE ARE NOT FUCKING VICTIMS!"

Hmmm. I seem to have lost control. I'll go make coffee now. :lyn_night

Dravyk
12-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Hypocracy at it's most surreal.

Congressmen are both the biggest prostitutes and the biggest users of prostitutes.