PDA

View Full Version : How important is networking to you?

Osiris
12-14-2005, 03:21 PM
This is something I've always been really bad at doing. When I was actively doing design(I still do some so if you need it let me know) I failed at getting new clients miserably.

Now networking is something I don't try to do anymore. I don't feel that I need it anymore to make it in this business. I used to think I needed to network when I was doing submissions to links list and TGPs, but now I don't even bother with them.

Sin
12-14-2005, 03:24 PM
I used to think it would be somewhat important (even though you repeatedly told me otherwise) and as usual I ignored you for the first while then learned the lesson "the hard way" (luckily not too hard)

Now I think networking still has its values & positive aspects, but I think its rather reliant on who you're networking with.

Nickatilynx
12-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Being good friends with 5 good webmasters can be more beneficial to your business than beng friends with 500 regulars on GFY ;-))

Sin
12-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Excellent point. :)

MorganGrayson
12-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Let's define "networking" as the "process by which you discover those five good friends" and networking is very important. :)

Osiris
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Being good friends with 5 good webmasters can be more beneficial to your business than beng friends with 500 regulars on GFY ;-))

Indeed. It's quality, not quantity for damn sure in this business. And this board has some quality people on it. Don't take that as ass kissing because as Sin and a few others can tell you, I don't kiss Anybody's ass. Which is why I don't fit in well other places.

Maybe you'll heed my warnings next time babe? ;) Ya know I loves ya! :)

Sin
12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
"Ya know I loves ya!" ?????? *looks terrified*

If you're going to threaten me like that then yes, yes, I will heed your warnings next time, lol

Stop typing like that please lol

Sin
12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh and I love you too :)

TheEnforcer
12-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, Nick just summed it up nicely. :)

Osiris
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Let's define "networking" as the "process by which you discover those five good friends" and networking is very important. :)

Networking is probably relevant depending on the work you're doing. Thoughts? :)

Osiris
12-14-2005, 03:49 PM
"Ya know I loves ya!" ?????? *looks terrified*

If you're going to threaten me like that then yes, yes, I will heed your warnings next time, lol

Stop typing like that please lol

:wnw: :okthumb:

MorganGrayson
12-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Networking is probably relevant depending on the work you're doing. Thoughts? :)

If you're selling something, networking is more important. Advertising is crucial in sales. Thusly, getting your name out is important.

If you're learning, or seeking a mentor, or something along those lines, you have to be very careful. Just because you read somebody's name on a message board doesn't mean that person has a damned thing of value to teach you. In fact, you could set yourself up as pupil to a complete idiot who does your business much more harm than good.

Osiris
12-14-2005, 04:00 PM
If you're selling something, networking is more important. Advertising is crucial in sales. Thusly, getting your name out is important.

If you're learning, or seeking a mentor, or something along those lines, you have to be very careful. Just because you read somebody's name on a message board doesn't mean that person has a damned thing of value to teach you. In fact, you could set yourself up as pupil to a complete idiot who does your business much more harm than good.

Depends on what you're selling. If you're selling a service to webmasters then yes, networking is very important. However, if you're marketing a product through SEs, PPC SEs, AdWords etc.. you don't really need to network with people to be a success. Right? :)

MorganGrayson
12-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Depends on what you're selling. If you're selling a service to webmasters then yes, networking is very important. However, if you're marketing a product through SEs, PPC SEs, AdWords etc.. you don't really need to network with people to be a success. Right? :)

OK, you are now WAY out of my area. :)
I'm a writer, so what I "marketed" was my stories. I needed my name out, and my ability to write out, to sell the stories.

RyanLanane
12-14-2005, 05:11 PM
The last month I have done more networking than I have done since 1998 - It has given me great results. I am not overflowing with work, however it is gradually picking up.. Offering to do a super small $10 project for someone real quick led to me doing a $100 project for them a week later..

I have had one referral come from a prior client so far, that's it - But I talk to my clients find out who they know and then I can approach that person and talk to them casually saying "Name" was talking about you the other day when I was doing some work for him, sounds like you are doing well for yourself..

Which inevtiably leads to, "What were you helping him out with?" :)

Sin
12-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I have had one referral come from a prior client so far, that's it - But I talk to my clients find out who they know and then I can approach that person and talk to them casually saying "Name" was talking about you the other day when I was doing some work for him, sounds like you are doing well for yourself..

Which inevtiably leads to, "What were you helping him out with?" :)

?????

I wouldn't ever approach someone & say "So & so was talking about you the other day...." BAD approach, real bad approach, whether positive or negative things were being said, its a bad approach IMO.

selena
12-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Agreed.

You network to discover who those 5 that are worth knowing are.

Dravyk
12-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Networking (in the sense mentioned, meeting new people) is required when you're starting out in a new industry or in a new area of an industry. Once you've done it for years, you can to some degree layback. Networking in the sense of keeping those connections you have established remains important.

MorganGrayson
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks to both selena and Dravyk. :okthumb:

Lately, I've gone on a very intense "let's define our terms here" kick that I think could shorten up a lot of "discussions" in other threads.

Newton
12-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Networking can be highly lucrative in terms of experience, knowledge and headway made into the business. Do it right and money follows as a natural consequence.

Stacey_JoinRightNow
12-19-2005, 05:47 AM
yeah very much bec. Networking allows for resource sharing (e.g., multiple computers sharing one printer), data sharing, and communication or data exchange and also providing global communication between nodes on government, educational, and industrial networks.

Trev
12-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Networking can be highly lucrative in terms of experience, knowledge and headway made into the business. Do it right and money follows as a natural consequence.
Agreed, but then I'm just a chatty little geezer so I spend quite a bit of time talking to people. Not sure if that's classed as networking or gossiping though :yowsa: