PDA

View Full Version : In this business where do you draw the line.....

Nickatilynx
12-14-2005, 12:21 PM
In light of other threads and heated exchanges I thought about this ...

And I cannot think of one tactic , practice or stratedgy that I would not use that is legal.

TheEnforcer
12-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm... interesting question to be sure. Because some stuff that may be legal may not be something you want to dabble in. So there are a few things like that that might be legal but I wouldn't do. When it comes to content to promote I look at it this way.. would I REALLY want to trust my freedom to whether a bunch of jurors thought that was obscene or not? There is some content out there where I wouldn't feel all that safe having on a site. I may personally have a "whatever two consenting adults do is their business" mentality but trusting that nine men and women will have that same mentality about gagging, puking, spitting, etc etc type of content isn't something I would like to gamble on.

Of course there are other areas this discussion can touch on like billing practices, spamming, etc. etc.

What aspect of the business do you think brings up the most questions or poses the biggest dilemmas for most people in this biz Nick? Or anyone else for that matter who has an opinion on this.

Trev
12-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I won't do anything illegal. That being said I don't mind taking money from fools and I'll use any legal means possible to come out with more money.

MorganGrayson
12-14-2005, 02:01 PM
A good line is usually "anything legal."

I do have another line, though. I'm currently working on a linksite. Part of that, one of the early parts, is picking your categories. It was quite easy. My categories are limited to sites I can stand staring at long enough to review. There's a lot of stuff out there that is perfectly legal that I can't stand to look at. So, I drew my line to exclude that stuff.

The line isn't based on "morals" or "decency." I have a completely neutral reaction to the sites and their content. I just don't want to look at the content.

Will this cost me money? Of course. The more categories a linksite has, the more opportunity to make money.

Will I reevaluate this decision in the future? Possibly. I can add categories any time. The database doesn't give a damn.

Sin
12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I draw the line pretty much at that legal point too, when it is something that has high potential to harm me & mine later on down the road & make life incredibly difficult, I'm not going to do it no matter how pleasing the short term effects might be, the risk just isn't worth it.

sudden
12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I may personally have a "whatever two consenting adults do is their business" mentality but trusting that nine men and women will have that same mentality about gagging, puking, spitting, etc etc type of content isn't something I would like to gamble on.

So if it was extremely profitable, and you thought you could make a ton of money from it, wouldn't you just move? It's explicitly legal in a lot of areas of the world.

MorganGrayson
12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
So if it was extremely profitable, and you thought you could make a ton of money from it, wouldn't you just move? It's explicitly legal in a lot of areas of the world.

I don't know about TE, but I certainly won't be pulling up stakes any time soon to make the big bucks from shit that doesn't have a category on my linksite. I'd much rather "play it safe" over here where I live and not have to review sites that make me want to gag, puke and spit when I look at them.

I can NOT believe I just used the word "puke" in a post. :(

Anyway...there's money to be made by other things. I'll stay here and go for that. :)

RyanLanane
12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I think anything legal that makes money is a Go except as stated above some material that could cause obscenity issues I would be careful with.

I would still do it, I would just be smart enough to create an off shore shell and run everything through it and payments to myself through a sub-shell.

Things that come to mind would be Scat Sites... etc ... The sites that are getting popped for Obscenity violations basically.

Vick
12-14-2005, 07:26 PM
checkmate honey, beat ya at your own damn game
no dice honey, I'm livin' on the astral plane
feet's on the ground, and your head's goin' down the drain
oh, heads I win, tails you lose, to the never mind
where to draw the line

an Indian summer, Carrie was all over the floor
she was a wet net winner, and rarely ever left the store
she'd sing and dance all night, and wrong all the right out of me
oh, pass me the vial and cross your fingers, it don't take time
nowhere to draw the line

hi ho silver, we were singin' all your cowboy songs
oh, you told Carrie, and promised her you wouldn't be long
heads I win, tails you lose, lord it's such a crime
no dice honey, you're the salt, you're the queen of the brine
checkmate honey, you're the only one who's got to choose
where to draw the line

checkmate, don't be late
take another pull
that's right
impossible
when you got to be yourself
you're the boss, the toss
the price, the dice
grab yourself a slice
nowhere to draw the line

Vick
12-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Make the money and conditions right and legal might not matter either

at least not YOUR idea of what is legal

selena
12-14-2005, 07:30 PM
My line tends to fluctuate, actually. In all things, not just in business.

Nickatilynx
12-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Make the money and conditions right and legal might not matter either

at least not YOUR idea of what is legal

:)

Grump
12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I had a line once... don't think I can see it from here.

MorganGrayson
12-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Just a little, impossibly vague note.

I'm working on a new project in a way much different than I've ever done anything before. I'm climbing up a learning curve, in fact.

I have a sponsor that has a little "thing" that's perfectly legal. The first time I looked at it, however, I thought "uh..no, don't like that one."

I looked at it again today and asked "why not?"

When I didn't answer me, I shrugged and tossed it into the new project.

Hours later, my opinion is still "fuck it, if it works, it will make me money."

Apparently, I have a dotted line....

Hmmm. Who knew?

Red
12-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't do anything illegal and I would not screw over a friend to make money. That said, I wouldn't turn down a project because I didn't like the subject matter or it made me ill.
Defiant can't stand looking at gay videos, but he edits them. I just like watching the faces me makes while he does it. :)

Sabby
12-16-2005, 03:11 AM
I've done some strange subject matter as content... and yes it made money...

I've done normal subject matter as content... and yes it made money...

It all makes money...

I'll take the normal and safe...
thankyou...

Sabby:flash:

OldJeff
12-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Legal is the line. Everything else is fair game.

Vick
12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
What is all this legal you're speaking of?

Who's laws?

Your countries? International? Own personal laws?

I'm not much on laws written by others and then are supposed to be imposed on me without my personal approval
Does that make me amoral or liberated?

Nickatilynx
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Who's laws?

I'm not much on laws written by others and then are supposed to be imposed on me without my personal approval
Does that make me amoral or liberated?

No it makes you a sociopath. ;-))))

Welcome to the party :)

MorganGrayson
12-16-2005, 10:46 AM
No it makes you a sociopath. ;-))))

Welcome to the party :)

May I cater the party? :)

Nick knows perfectly well that isn't the definition of sociopath. :)

However, Vick, what it *can* make you is an inmate. Try not to do that, though, if you wouldn't mind. I'd miss you terribly. I'd write, of course, and probably scent the letters with gardenia so that you could tell all the other inmates outrageous lies about the sultry, sexy female that writes to you. :)

Vick
12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
May I cater the party? :)

Nick knows perfectly well that isn't the definition of sociopath. :)

....... I'd write, of course, and probably scent the letters with gardenia so that you could tell all the other inmates outrageous lies about the sultry, sexy female that writes to you. :)

Actually if it weren't for my extreme nasty allergic reaction to incarceration behind walls and fences where the male population is greater than 90% of the total population, being woken at ungodly hours of the days and forced to give up far too much of what I take for granted I'd go just for the letters

Thanks Nick, is there a secret handshake I should know?
Or do I already know it and posted that to throw others off the trail

MorganGrayson
12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Actually if it weren't for my extreme nasty allergic reaction to incarceration behind walls and fences where the male population is greater than 90% of the total population, being woken at ungodly hours of the days and forced to give up far too much of what I take for granted I'd go just for the letters

Thanks Nick, is there a secret handshake I should know?
Or do I already know it and posted that to throw others off the trail

Not to worry. :)
As a writer, I'm perfectly capable of pretending you're in prison and writing you lengthy, sexually suggestive missives scented in gardenia. You can tell me wild stories of "life inside." One of those photographs of you scowling into the camera while in pirate garb will be most appreciated. I'll tell people you were charged with piracy but you're really just "misunderstood." The devotion of a good woman (who writes on fine stationary with a fountain pen) is all you need to set your feet upon the right path.

You in a place where 90% of the population is male would be a total waste and a grievious injustice to the female population of the world.

Dravyk
12-16-2005, 02:08 PM

Who's laws?

Does that make me amoral or liberated? I like the way you think, Vick! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/ok.gif

Then again, always have. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif

Vick
12-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Not to worry. :)
As a writer, I'm perfectly capable of pretending you're in prison and writing you lengthy, sexually suggestive missives scented in gardenia. You can tell me wild stories of "life inside." One of those photographs of you scowling into the camera while in pirate garb will be most appreciated. I'll tell people you were charged with piracy but you're really just "misunderstood." The devotion of a good woman (who writes on fine stationary with a fountain pen) is all you need to set your feet upon the right path.

You in a place where 90% of the population is male would be a total waste and a grievious injustice to the female population of the world.

Much thanks
Just more reason to love/lust you

Only drawback is that Joel Cairo's business cards were scented with gardenia,
somehow I can't get that out of my head

sudden
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't know about TE, but I certainly won't be pulling up stakes any time soon to make the big bucks from shit that doesn't have a category on my linksite. I'd much rather "play it safe" over here where I live and not have to review sites that make me want to gag, puke and spit when I look at them.

I can NOT believe I just used the word "puke" in a post. :(

Anyway...there's money to be made by other things. I'll stay here and go for that. :)

Reviewing sites aren't going to make you rich (except for very few exceptions). I'm talking about actually setting up the sites. There are
certainly those who made millions (per month) from the category of
sites in question.

A lot harder these days because of creditcard (VISA/Mastercard) restrictions, so no real reason to get into it imo, but I would've done it previously had the
opportunity arisen and I had no other (very good) alternatives.

If moving is required to avoid having my business violate laws, then sure I'll move.

MorganGrayson
12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Much thanks
Just more reason to love/lust you

Only drawback is that Joel Cairo's business cards were scented with gardenia,
somehow I can't get that out of my head

Not to worry. I have some of the cologne that I reserve for special occasions.
My husband said it caused him to...er...we'll go with "think thoughts"...every time he borrowed my car because my seat belt was scented.
I reserve it for special occasions because like everything I fall in love with, it's been discontinued. :)

MorganGrayson
12-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Reviewing sites aren't going to make you rich (except for very few exceptions). I'm talking about actually setting up the sites. There are
certainly those who made millions (per month) from the category of
sites in question.

A lot harder these days because of creditcard (VISA/Mastercard) restrictions, so no real reason to get into it imo, but I would've done it previously had the
opportunity arisen and I had no other (very good) alternatives.

If moving is required to avoid having my business violate laws, then sure I'll move.

sudden...first, we have to define "rich" to make sure we're both playing in the same ballpark.
The second thing we'd have to do is decide what I'm doing. Am I moving to *then* build sites that *might* pay off big or am I hoping like hell to fly under the radar where I am to discover if these sites will pay off big?
After we do that, we get to have the "how much of my quality of life here am I willing to sacrifice for money?" discussion.