PDA

View Full Version : Frozen fun at Lambeau Field!

TheEnforcer
12-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Just got back from watching my beloved Packers beat the Lions in OT at Lambeau Field. Man, what a blast!! There aren't many things in life I enjoy more than watching a game at Lambeau Field, especially a win!! :okthumb:

selena
12-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Just got back from watching my beloved Packers beat the Lions in OT at Lambeau Field. Man, what a blast!! There aren't many things in life I enjoy more than watching a game at Lambeau Field, especially a win!! :okthumb:

Holy Hell, you have got to be kidding me!

The munchkin and I were doing his pre-bedtime snuggling, laying in his bed watching the first of that game. I couldn't believe the people out in that 6 degree (at the time I was watching) night.

I like football, but I am such a cold natured wuss that I could not comfortably sit outside and watch a game if the temps dipped much below 70.

Congrats on the win, though. As long as he's not throwin' against the Cowboys, I like seeing Favre get wins.

mojobill
12-12-2005, 12:06 PM
That was a football game?

Looked more like a 'who can fuck up worse' fest to me.....

DrGuile
12-12-2005, 12:36 PM
That was a football game?

Looked more like a 'who can fuck up worse' fest to me.....

yup, horrible horrible football game...

And there was a very evident false start on the Gado TD run by the center (unless Im unclear on the rules)

But gotta love football in December... that Pittsburgh game was classic

TheEnforcer
12-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Holy Hell, you have got to be kidding me!

The munchkin and I were doing his pre-bedtime snuggling, laying in his bed watching the first of that game. I couldn't believe the people out in that 6 degree (at the time I was watching) night.

I like football, but I am such a cold natured wuss that I could not comfortably sit outside and watch a game if the temps dipped much below 70.

Congrats on the win, though. As long as he's not throwin' against the Cowboys, I like seeing Favre get wins.

Hahahha... I've been to games with temps below zero and then a wind chill on top of that and loved every second of it!! :okthumb: Going to the Christmas day game as well. And very likely going to the New Years day game as well.

selena
12-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Hahahha... I've been to games with temps below zero and then a wind chill on top of that and loved every second of it!! :okthumb:

That crosses the line from deranged into pure madness.

TheEnforcer
12-12-2005, 02:28 PM
That crosses the line from deranged into pure madness.

That's the way football is meant to be played and not in some crappy indoor stadium with controlled heating and fake grass. That kind of football is for pussies.

My granparents went to the Ice Bowl game, the coldest in NFL history, against Dallas where the temperature was minus 13 degrees below zero with a wind chill of minus 48 degrees. :okthumb:

TheEnforcer
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
http://weatherstories.ssec.wisc.edu/stories/icebowl.html

Now, over 36 years later, fans still have fond and frozen memories of that New Years’ Eve game. With the –13 degree weather, the fans recall dressing for the weather – boots with liners, coats with hoods, woolen hunting pants, quilted long underwear, several pairs of mittens – not gloves, stocking caps, and socks inside plastic bags with another pair over the top. Many report also taking blankets and sleeping bags to the stadium.

Jim Mostek of Denmark, WI recalls, “To really keep warm, we brought sleeping bags. When we were in our seats, we crawled into our sleeping bags and kept pretty warm. We also brought small boxes with newspaper layered on the bottom. We put our feet in them and this helped to keep our feet off the snow and keep them warm. Our only problem was standing during the exciting parts of the game with the sleeping bag on. But we did manage to cheer and fall over.”

Others looking back remember the lack of the now ever present blaze orange. In 1967, hunting gear was red or red and black plaid checkered wool. Another fan recalls the good amount of women arriving in fur coats, skinny boots and uncovered legs. This gave the appearance of a fashion show. One only wonders how long they lasted!

Fans recall carrying in various refreshments to attempt to ward off the frigid weather. Robert Shefchik of Kewaunee, WI remembers, “We had some wine with us and after the last touchdown we were going to have a drink and it was like slush!” Another fan recalls sipping on “Snowshoes” (brandy and peppermint schnapps) that afternoon. Once the game ended, he returned home, warmed up, and passed out cold, sleeping through New Years Eve.

The then twenty-year-old, Dave Van Lieshout of Green Bay, WI remembers “The way the field shimmered in the cold – like a glaze. Breaths looked like a fog or as if all were smoking.

The weather conditions did not improve as the fans ventured out into the stadium parking lot. “I went to the game with my brother. I remember getting to the parking lot after the game and his MG would not start. So… we spent more time in an icy cold car waiting to have the car jump started!” reminisces Mary Wadzinski of Green Bay, WI. Stalled cars seemed to be the order of the day.

Despite the frigid conditions, all that were in attendance that day remember three things: just how cold it was; exactly where they were sitting in the stadium; and Bart Starr’s quarterback sneak that won the game 21-17 with 30 seconds remaining in the game.

Fans still reminisce about the arctic conditions that day; about tearing down the goal posts, removing the plywood helmets from the sidelines, and walking on the ‘frozen tundra’. But, then 11-year-old Lee Pinchard of Green Bay summed up everyone’s deepest thoughts that day. “ I could care less about what happened. It was SO cold I just wanted to get out of there!”

selena
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
That's the way football is meant to be played and not in some crappy indoor stadium with controlled heating and fake grass. That kind of football is for pussies.

My granparents went to the Ice Bowl game, the coldest in NFL history, against Dallas where the temperature was minus 13 degrees below zero with a wind chill of minus 48 degrees. :okthumb:

I'm surprised your grandfather's sperm wasn't permanently frozen, thus making the siring of you impossible.

TheEnforcer
12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Hahahahahahaha!! :okthumb:

Newton
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM

No wonder they wear padding ;)