PDA

View Full Version : I bought my daughter one of these today...

sarettah
12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.cockinpuss.com/ovation.jpg

After a case and all, turned into a fairly expensive day.

But she is gonna die when she sees it :) Combo Birthday/Christmas present (Birthday is Dec 20)

MorganGrayson
12-10-2005, 08:18 PM
That's beautiful, sarettah. :)

sarettah
12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
That's beautiful, sarettah. :)

lolol...It's way more than beautiful.

It's an Ovation :okthumb:

She hit me about a month ago about a guitar she wanted (made the puppy dog eyes, the whole bit) I asked her what kind and she looked at me and said quietly "an Ovation". I laughed and laughed and finally told her that when I got an Ovation, she might get to touch it every once and a while.

Then I went and checked prices and found a low end Ovation could be had for $450 list. So, then I went and checked for street price and found it at musician's friend for $230.00 and at that point I decided that it was possible for her to get an Ovation before I got one :rolleyes:

If she wasn't so damn cute :yowsa:

Newton
12-10-2005, 08:35 PM
She will love it chap and a superb present ;) She's is a lucky daughter :okthumb:

Dravyk
12-10-2005, 09:00 PM
http://www.cockinpuss.com/ovation.jpg

After a case and all, turned into a fairly expensive day.

But she is gonna die when she sees it :) Combo Birthday/Christmas present (Birthday is Dec 20) Awesome!!! :clapping:

HoneyBlond
12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Wow thats a sweet looking cutaway Sarettah :-)
it also has an amp by the looks ?
Your daughters a lucky girl ( I had to buy my own Maton )

Nickatilynx
12-10-2005, 10:01 PM
I never knew they had got so cheap....

A Gibson Ovation when I was young was all the money...

Good buy...

Or

I have more cash now and its relative.

:-))

:okthumb:

Red
12-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Great present Sarettah. She's going to love it.

Vick
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Very Nice

sarettah
12-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Wow thats a sweet looking cutaway Sarettah :-)
it also has an amp by the looks ?
Your daughters a lucky girl ( I had to buy my own Maton )

Yeppirs on the PreAmp :) It is acoustic electric.

Yes, she is lucky.....and spoiled. But she has a lot of musical talent and I try to nurture it. This will be her 3rd guitar. She has a 3/4 size acoustic (her first guitar...I think she was 10 at the time) Then she has a really pretty black electric. Can't remember the brand, out of Chicago but it is pretty much a rip of a fender strat. SAhe came to me about a new guitar claining that her 3/4 size was too small and my full size Takaminie was too wide and then laid the idea for the Ovation on me.

We are going to take her small acoustic in and see what we can get on trade towards a good mic. Thinking of grabbing a shure sm48 (or 58 whichevr is the cheaper I can't remember). She uses my mic right now but I kind of want it back...lol

I almost forgot to brag a bit more on her..lol.. She also plays Violin and Flute.. Violin since 8 or 9 and flute since about 10 and dabbles on the keyboard (I keep pushing her towards piano lessons but she doesn't want them, she does take violin lessons). I taught her what I know on guitar and she has taken it from there. She and 2 friends have a band and practice every single Friday afternoon and evening without fail. They currently lack a drummer though. Anyone know any 14 year old girl drummers in the Kansas City area ? :yowsa:

sarettah
12-11-2005, 01:51 AM
I never knew they had got so cheap....

A Gibson Ovation when I was young was all the money...

Good buy...

Or

I have more cash now and its relative.

:-))

:okthumb:

Last time I had dared to look at an Ovation I couldn't find one under a grand (that was several years ago) They now have several lines that are under that. Some real nice ones in the $600 range.

Trev
12-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Very nice :okthumb:

It's quite obvious that she's daddy's little girl ;)

MorganGrayson
12-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Yes, she is lucky.....and spoiled. But she has a lot of musical talent and I try to nurture it.
That's what makes her one very lucky child. :okthumb:

Opti
12-11-2005, 04:35 PM
They currently lack a drummer though. Anyone know any 14 year old girl drummers in the Kansas City area ? :yowsa:

Shame Sydney and Kansas arent closer Sar... my 14 year old wants some new cymbals for her drumkit for xmas.. and we are going through a similar process too.. she asked for Zildjians.. which are priced like your Ovation!

selena
12-12-2005, 08:50 AM
That's a sweet looking guitar!

My 9 year old has been taking lessons for a couple of years. Though that hasn't been a solid block of time; we've had to adjust around the instructor's very heavy work schedule and around sports. He's got a Fender something. I dunno, I'm not muscially inclined. I just pay for the shit.

My father is a luthier, and builds beautiful pieces of art, so I'm hoping he and the munchkin get it together and build him one before he is no longer around.

sarettah
12-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Shame Sydney and Kansas arent closer Sar... my 14 year old wants some new cymbals for her drumkit for xmas.. and we are going through a similar process too.. she asked for Zildjians.. which are priced like your Ovation!

Yes, Zildjans are to cymbals what Ovation is to guitars as far as I'm concerned :)

sarettah
12-12-2005, 09:13 AM
That's a sweet looking guitar!

My 9 year old has been taking lessons for a couple of years. Though that hasn't been a solid block of time; we've had to adjust around the instructor's very heavy work schedule and around sports. He's got a Fender something. I dunno, I'm not muscially inclined. I just pay for the shit.

My father is a luthier, and builds beautiful pieces of art, so I'm hoping he and the munchkin get it together and build him one before he is no longer around.

I had to go look up Luthier :)

Very cool, yes they should definitely get together on that. Something to remember him by for a long long time down the road.

DrGuile
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Nice guitar... Ive always been found of guitars...

My father bought a Gibson SG with the bit of money his mother left him when she died... I thought it was a wonderful way to remember her...

selena
12-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I had to go look up Luthier :)

Very cool, yes they should definitely get together on that. Something to remember him by for a long long time down the road.

He made this one. He's sending me some more pics. I will thrown them up on a page, so you all can look, if you like.

sarettah
12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
He made this one. He's sending me some more pics. I will thrown them up on a page, so you all can look, if you like.

That looks just like my Takamine :)

Very pretty.

Does he do other instruments besides Guitars ? And does he do custom work ?

selena
12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
That looks just like my Takamine :)

Very pretty.

Does he do other instruments besides Guitars ? And does he do custom work ?

Well, I know he does mandolins. He also does other stuff, I just don't know the names of them. One thing I remember because I went to a thing to hear the people perform with some of his stuff...it was a tall ass thing...looked like a huge guitar to me, though it has a proper name. I think he made that, at least.

I am pretty sure everything he does is sold before he makes it, so I guess you would call that custom, yes.

It's really pretty interesting. He's one of...(he could tell you the exact number, I can't) very few people who tune the wood.

Anyhow, here are just a few pics. I won't leave them up for long, as I tossed the page up on one of my bdsm links. ~lol~

I need to get the man a website built.

http://www.thecorrectionalfacility.com/dad/dadswork.htm

sarettah
12-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, I know he does mandolins. He also does other stuff, I just don't know the names of them. One thing I remember because I went to a thing to hear the people perform with some of his stuff...it was a tall ass thing...looked like a huge guitar to me, though it has a proper name. I think he made that, at least.

I am pretty sure everything he does is sold before he makes it, so I guess you would call that custom, yes.

It's really pretty interesting. He's one of...(he could tell you the exact number, I can't) very few people who tune the wood.

Anyhow, here are just a few pics. I won't leave them up for long, as I tossed the page up on one of my bdsm links. ~lol~

I need to get the man a website built.

http://www.thecorrectionalfacility.com/dad/dadswork.htm

Very Nice stuff :)

Is that a Dobro in there ?

selena
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Very Nice stuff :)

Is that a Dobro in there ?

Uh...

I dunno.

I had to look up what that meant. I didn't know if it meant a brand or a style.

Looking at the picture/definition, I would say yes.

sarettah
12-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Uh...

I dunno.

I had to look up what that meant. I didn't know if it meant a brand or a style.

Looking at the picture/definition, I would say yes.

I thought it was but wasn't 100% on it because all the dobros I've ever seen were metal bodied. Very cool to see a wooden bodied one :)