PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies After Stealling EMS Vehicle

Dravyk
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Another Darwin Candidate!

Man Dies After Stealing, Crashing EMS Unit, Police Say

http://www.wral.com/news/5474959/detail.html (http://www.wral.com/news/5474959/detail.html)

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Authorities reported Tuesday morning that a person died when an EMS unit crashed in Raleigh.

Police received a call around 8:30 a.m. about a man showing signs of a stroke at the Circle K on 1300 East Millbrook Road. According to police, the man became combative when EMS crews arrived. When EMS personnel got out of the ambulance, the man then got inside and drove off.

"I came outside and heard yelling, which was the EMS guys, hollering at the guy to get out of the [vehicle]. I saw the EMS guy run around the other side of the truck to try to get in and then saw the gentleman take off with the ambulance through the parking lot," eyewitness Chuck Powell said.

Shortly afterward, police say the man crashed the ambulance ...

MorganGrayson
12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
:blink:

I can't imagine a worse indignity than having a death that makes people laugh. (I did laugh and I'll feel guilty about that later...if I have the time.)

I wonder if the poor guy was such a definite "Darwin Award" candidate *before* he had the stroke?

This is the sort of thing that makes me have a mental image of "the great whatever" as the deceased slumped at a bar with a glass in his hand muttering "oh, for fuck's sake, I have to go through eternity with THIS hanging over my head!!"

TheEnforcer
12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaha... ok.. that is funny as all hell!! :okthumb:

Red
12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
:blink:

This is the sort of thing that makes me have a mental image of "the great whatever" as the deceased slumped at a bar with a glass in his hand muttering "oh, for fuck's sake, I have to go through eternity with THIS hanging over my head!!"

That's a wonderful image. :rofl:

It is terrible to laugh at someone's death, but sometimes....ya just gotta.

voodooman
12-06-2005, 06:57 PM
People say cops have a wierd sense of humor, and we do BUT, you have to just to maintain some sense of mental stability.

We did get into trouble the other night at a scene, all of us were standing around joking and laughing and the news was there and caught us. It is difficult to convey to the public what fire/police/ems go through day to day and that we are not making fun of the situation or the people involved, it just appears that way sometimes.

I would however probably chuckle at the guy who stole the Ambulance.

Dravyk
12-06-2005, 07:14 PM
People say cops have a wierd sense of humor, and we do BUT, you have to just to maintain some sense of mental stability.

We did get into trouble the other night at a scene, all of us were standing around joking and laughing and the news was there and caught us. It is difficult to convey to the public what fire/police/ems go through day to day and that we are not making fun of the situation or the people involved, it just appears that way sometimes.

I would however probably chuckle at the guy who stole the Ambulance. Reminds me of that classic scene backwhen on "Hill Street Blues" where the episode starts out with the cops at the aftermath of a car accident, and they need to find this guys arm in 15 minutes so the hospital can reattach it. It's somber, it's grizzly. The one cop finds the arm, looks down, looks at the nice watch and says "It takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'"!!!

I doubt there was a water cooler in an office builiding across the country that wasn't talking about that, and laughing about it, the next day. :)

Red
12-06-2005, 07:17 PM

I would however probably chuckle at the guy who stole the Ambulance.

I think most people understand that without the humor you wouldn't be able to handle what you deal with on a regular basis. You have to have a release.

voodooman
12-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Reminds me of that classic scene backwhen on "Hill Street Blues" where the episode starts out with the cops at the aftermath of a car accident, and they need to find this guys arm in 15 minutes so the hospital can reattach it. It's somber, it's grizzly. The one cop finds the arm, looks down, looks at the nice watch and says "It takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'"!!!

I doubt there was a water cooler in an office builiding across the country that wasn't talking about that, and laughing about it, the next day. :)

Hill Street Blues. Man thats an oldie.

Funny story too btw. :okthumb: