PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever gonna se UK people on the board again?

TheEnforcer
11-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Happy hour never ends with no closing time
By Al Webb
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
November 21, 2005

LONDON -- More than nine decades after Britain curtailed pub hours to get wartime munitions workers back to their jobs, round-the-clock public boozing is about to become a fact of 21st-century life.
Hundreds of pubs, clubs, hotels and inns across England and Wales have been granted licenses to serve alcohol for up to 24 hours a day beginning Thursday.
Paradoxically, Prime Minister Tony Blair's government is promoting the change as a solution to "binge drinking," a national problem that leads to city streets and town lanes being awash in vomit and urine nightly from alcoholic overindulgence.
Mr. Blair and his ministers hope the relaxation of the drinking laws will lead to a European-style cafe culture in which patrons linger for hours over a bottle of wine as in Paris or Rome, or a couple of steins of beer as they do in Berlin.
But police, judges, doctors and other critics fear they will, instead, get a quantum leap in the binge drinking that -- along with loutish behavior, street fighting and related crimes -- already plagues the land.
Even Mr. Blair's culture secretary, Tessa Jowell, who helped spearhead the changes in the licensing laws through Parliament, concedes that, "Yes, you may see a rise in violent alcohol-related crime."
Her ministerial colleague, Home Secretary Charles Clarke, suggested that, far from leisurely sipping glasses of Beaujolais around an outdoor table late in the evening, Britons may take years to overcome their penchant for binge drinking.
The British love affair with beer and bottled spirits is anchored deep in history, and it became a matter of national security during World War I, when Prime Minister David Lloyd George found himself faced with the problem of munitions workers lingering in bars instead of turning out bullets and bombs for the war effort.
Britain, the exasperated prime minister said, was "fighting Germans, Austrians and Drink -- and as far as I can see, the greatest of these foes is Drink."
Resulting legislation reduced the strength of beer, banned the buying of rounds in public houses and sharply restricted pub hours -- laws that remained on the books until the dying days of the 20th century.
The relaxed licensing that comes into effect Thursday amounts to the biggest overhaul in legalized drinking in Britain since those dark days of World War I.
Barely a month ago, Licensing Minister James Purnell insisted that "little evidence exists of more than a handful of bars and clubs applying for 24-hour licensing." But the "handful" has grown rapidly, to more than 700 and is climbing.

=========================

Two page article and that's the first page...

Newton
11-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't drink ;)

Trev
11-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Hmmm.... It may be worth me finding out if my local boozer has a WiFi. :yowsa:

Jeremy
11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Hic... wassat?

Shee the little goblinsh....

Hmmm.... It may be worth me finding out if my local boozer has a WiFi. :yowsa:

I thought you were the local boozer? ;-)))

Trev
11-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I thought you were the local boozer? ;-)))
That's worthy of points :wnw:

TheEnforcer
11-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Hahahah.. good one on trev there and Newton that's good to hear. :>))

MorganGrayson
11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Oh, we'll see them.
Incoherent though they may be. ;)

*thinking*

Status quo will be maintained. :p

Nickatilynx
11-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Oh, we'll see them.

*thinking*

Status Quo....great band!!

One of Newton's absolute favourite.

After Soft Cell of course...loves Marc Almond , newton does. :)

Trev
11-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Who would have though that Newton was tone deaf :blink:

Newton
11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
See that culture club .. :)

I fucking despise status quo .. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire lol Soft cell too ..

Trev
11-21-2005, 01:51 PM
See that culture club .. :)

I fucking despise status quo .. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire lol Soft cell too ..
Don't beat about the bush mate, tell us how you really feel. :yowsa:

Nickatilynx
11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Don't beat about the bush mate, tell us how you really feel. :yowsa:

remember him dancing in the lobby of the Four seasons when he heard "do you really want to hurt me" from Culture Club?

;-)))))

Trev
11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
remember him dancing in the lobby of the Four seasons when he heard "do you really want to hurt me" from Culture Club?

;-)))))
Those moves were outstanding, reminded me of my old school discos :okthumb:

Newton
11-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I did want to hurt them lol especially those nonces who moved tables ..

TheEnforcer
11-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Discos.... :huh: :blink:

Sin
11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Those moves were outstanding, reminded me of my old school discos :okthumb:

Damn... that sounds awesome! Wish I could've seen that!

Red
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM

;-)))))

And no one took pictures???

Trev
11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
And no one took pictures???
Oh, there are pictures - worth money those little beauties ;)

Red
11-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh, there are pictures - worth money those little beauties ;)

ah, perhaps we can trade for them. :yowsa:

Newton
11-21-2005, 03:47 PM
There are lots of pics ;) but they have been *cough* lost unfortunately lol

MorganGrayson
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM

You do take my quotes to...interesting...places.... :blink:

I'm going to pass this off as "just another incoherent Brit thing." :unsure:

domtheboy
11-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Oh, we'll see them.

*thinking*

Outrage !

This board is racist after all !

;)

Trev
11-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Outrage !

This board is racist after all !

;)
Yup, it would seem that way. :o

Dravyk
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM

After Soft Cell of course...loves Marc Almond , newton does. :) I feel so tainted now. :yowsa:

Dravyk
11-22-2005, 02:08 AM
I don't care who disbelieves it, I had a wonderful time Saturday night out at the bar. When I wasn't dancing with Electra, I was dancing with this group of stunning 21-23 year olds to a bunch of old 80s dance tunes. Mostly fondly, Madonna's "Like A Prayer". They knew the words and everything and were shocked I knew them too, and could keep up with them dancing!! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif

(Mind you, I could have desperatedly used a bloody oxygen tank for the next 10 minutes afterwards!! But that's another story.)