PDA

View Full Version : Trainjacking?

Red
11-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Police in Montclair, Calif., shot and wounded a man allegedly trying to hijack a freight train using a homemade bow and arrow. The engineers bailed from the engine and responding officers shot the man when he pointed the arrow at them. Once the smoke cleared, prosecutors considered the case of Juventino Vallejo-Camerena, 43, trying to figure out what to charge him with. "A train is a motor vehicle," said Deputy District Attorney Robert Lemkau, making his thought process clear. "It's a train. It moves. It's a diesel." Thus, Vallejo-Camerena has been charged with carjacking. (Riverside Press-Enterprise)

But the question is, will he be charged with one count for every car on the train?

sarettah
11-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Police in Montclair, Calif., shot and wounded a man allegedly trying to hijack a freight train using a homemade bow and arrow. The engineers bailed from the engine and responding officers shot the man when he pointed the arrow at them. Once the smoke cleared, prosecutors considered the case of Juventino Vallejo-Camerena, 43, trying to figure out what to charge him with. "A train is a motor vehicle," said Deputy District Attorney Robert Lemkau, making his thought process clear. "It's a train. It moves. It's a diesel." Thus, Vallejo-Camerena has been charged with carjacking. (Riverside Press-Enterprise)

But the question is, will he be charged with one count for every car on the train?

Hmm.. I would have thought that they would have had this kind of thing covered in laws written 100 years ago or so when train robbery and such was a bit more common than it is today. :blink:

Dravyk
11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Now the poor children of Sherwood Forest won't have a train. :cryin:

voodooman
11-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Can only charge him with each ENGINE the train has. Train Cars are not powered on their own.

MorganGrayson
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Can only charge him with each ENGINE the train has. Train Cars are not powered on their own.

It frightens me somewhat that there is actually a serious, logical answer to that question. :blink:

Sin
11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Strange, he tried to hijack it with a bow & arrow? Even "back in the day" they knew to use muskets...

Sin
11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
This is almost as strange as the pirates that attacked the Cruise ship off the Florida coast the other day

MorganGrayson
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
This is almost as strange as the pirates that attacked the Cruise ship off the Florida coast the other day

I briefly heard that on the morning news. It said the cruise ship "out ran" them. Then they showed the cruise ship. That's one huge ship.

I wonder if anyone yelled "stop, or we'll shoot!" and if the captain replied "g'head, shoot, see where that gets you."

Sin
11-07-2005, 04:48 PM
LOL They say history repeats itself, pirates & train robbers... woo!

Cleo
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm hijacking this train you must change course now.

Right up there with the people down here that tried to check the fuel level in their generator with a candle.

Newton
11-07-2005, 07:19 PM
What a dozy bastard!

Dravyk
11-07-2005, 10:12 PM
This is almost as strange as the pirates that attacked the Cruise ship off the Florida coast the other dayAnyone thinks there's a major displacement in the temporal matrix core, and people are being shifted around to different time periods? http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gif

Nope, I don't think so either. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif