PDA

View Full Version : is traffic from P2P networks worth it?

grc
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried putting stills or clips of their content out on the P2P networks and how that worked out for you in getting traffic.

Was it worth your time? Or what made you stop using Peer to peer ?

Which of the P2P networks did you use and how did they compare? (if you could tell which p2p caused what visits which I dont even know if thats possible)

And lastly, What tips would you share with this forum on how to set up that station which is online to the P2P networks? ie what things did you need to do for securing everything else that you didnt want shared. or could you run more than one P2P at a time while your machine was in share mode. things of that nature.

thanks in advance to your replies
H

grc
11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
IS this the wrong forum to ask this topic?

sarettah
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
IS this the wrong forum to ask this topic?

Nopers... It is a fine place to ask.

I would guess, from the lack of response that you got that either

1. Nobody around here is playing with p2p traffic much

or

2. The folks playing with P2P traffic don't want to reveal their secrets.

:yowsa:

Welcome to the board btw....

Who are you and what do you do ?

(This is your chance to spam your shizzle and all that)

If you got TITS, let's see them :okthumb:

Defiant
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried putting stills or clips of their content out on the P2P networks and how that worked out for you in getting traffic.

Was it worth your time? Or what made you stop using Peer to peer ?

Which of the P2P networks did you use and how did they compare? (if you could tell which p2p caused what visits which I dont even know if thats possible)

And lastly, What tips would you share with this forum on how to set up that station which is online to the P2P networks? ie what things did you need to do for securing everything else that you didnt want shared. or could you run more than one P2P at a time while your machine was in share mode. things of that nature.

thanks in advance to your replies
H

On several occassions in the past I had set up one machine dedicated to file sharing networks. I had several different ones running at various times by themselves as well as with other file sharing progs, and never really ran into any problems when running 3 or less at a time. It was mainly a memory thing that caused the problems with that, though. It was pretty much impossible to determine if it was effective or not as a marketing tool, but it was worth taking the shot. Once files get out there, they stay out there and they multiply.

What made me stop was the lack of a need to promote a pay site, but I would turn off the file sharing programs when I needed more bandwidth for something I was doing.

I used a whole bunch of different file sharing progs (whatever seemed to be the most popular ones at the time) , but couldn't really tell you if any one was much of a difference from another.

Not really sure what to suggest for the machine other than lots of RAM and being a machine you don't use for anything else.

I know... not much help. I had no way of knowing if anything I had put out there ever brought anything back in.

grc
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Nopers... It is a fine place to ask.

I would guess, from the lack of response that you got that either

1. Nobody around here is playing with p2p traffic much

or

2. The folks playing with P2P traffic don't want to reveal their secrets.

:yowsa:
I kinda think its a bit of both. oh well :( I remember the days when folks in the adult industry would share their knowledge freely. of course that was back when alot more mom and pop companies where here. While the 'former cellular salesmen' make great pseudo-pimps both online and at the conventions, they arent exactly the best replacement for the mom n pop knowledge-sharing...........such is life

Welcome to the board btw....

Who are you and what do you do ?

(This is your chance to spam your shizzle and all that)

If you got TITS, let's see them :okthumb:
I got manboobs. if you are a hot milf you can see'em;) .
Who am I? nobody really. I use to be in charge when I knew everything;now I like to sit in the back, and smoke my cigar while watching the passing parade of todays playboy pimp geniuses.

What do I do? Mostly build websites and then argue with 22 year old 'webmaster support' dudes over how my site does comply with all 25 rules.

H
PS: it aint the 25 dumb ass rules that bother me. its complying with the 25 dumb ass rules and NOT getting shit for traffic for my troubles.

grc
11-03-2005, 07:28 PM
No dude that was a GREAT reply. Thank you! Just the sort of techie tip I can use.

helix
11-03-2005, 07:29 PM
The people that use P2P use it because they are leeches. I tried seeding it with wmv files with a url popup in it. After approx 1 month of seeding I could see the files on the network, but I didn't see any increase in signups.

grc
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
The people that use P2P use it because they are leeches.
Well that is the same thing folks say about TGP and TGP2 surfers. or Free site surfers too. The fact that any webmaster converting 2 or 3 percent of their surfers is considered a fucking genius, I got to assume this means that I can expect 97 percent of my visitors - no matter WHERE they came from - were never interested in buying in the first place.

But, hey, I DO appreaciate your sharing what your expereince was. I am not only trying to find out how to do this P2P but also if I even SHOULD try it at all.

h

Dravyk
11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
IS this the wrong forum to ask this topic?Nope, we were just waiting for Hooper to come on. :p

Sin
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM
I know there's a p2p ads service, I can't give you an unbiased opinion of them other than the shirt they sent me was lovely! :) (this means I have no idea what their traffic is like, what networks they use... or anything else)

http://www.p2pads.com is their url...

grc
11-06-2005, 05:39 PM
well I went and did it.

made a limewire station and posted several small clips with our url on it.

time will tell....................

thanks to everyone for their 2 cents

sarettah
11-06-2005, 05:43 PM
well I went and did it.

made a limewire station and posted several small clips with our url on it.

time will tell....................

thanks to everyone for their 2 cents

And points to you for trying to keep a business thread going through the chaos :okthumb:

Due
11-07-2005, 02:51 AM
The people that use P2P use it because they are leeches. I tried seeding it with wmv files with a url popup in it. After approx 1 month of seeding I could see the files on the network, but I didn't see any increase in signups.
What methods do you use to ad popups / banners and other clickable items inside movies?
I heard a lot of that was blocked with some new releases of media player etc.
I've been looking at giving this a test, but not sure how to add popups etc. to the movies