PDA

View Full Version : Opinions requested on a movie

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
The world is full of "vulgar guy movies," featuring characters who comment on sex, dating, etc.

I've only seen one "vulgar chick movie" that does the same.

It's called "The Sweetest Thing" and stars Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate, Selma Blair, Thomas Jane and Jason Bateman.

I have the unrated version; have seen it probably a dozen times; I still sing along with "The Penis Song." :)

Has anyone else seen it and have a comment?

SykkBoy
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I wasn't expecting much, but finally caught it when Comedy Central ran it on their Secret Stash....really funny movie...

Jenny McCarthy has a vulgar chick movie out called "Dirty Love", but I think it's already headed for DVD shelves...

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
I wasn't expecting much, but finally caught it when Comedy Central ran it on their Secret Stash....really funny movie...

Jenny McCarthy has a vulgar chick movie out called "Dirty Love", but I think it's already headed for DVD shelves...

Comedy Central would have had to chop it severely to show it, I imagine...unless they do the "late at night uncut" thing. I think it's absolutely hysterical when it's uncut.

I forget what site I was on that had reviews. The reviews people gave it were absolutely brutal. It was almost universally despised. I was actually a little stunned by the reviews. Sure, it is what it is, but I've seen a lot of "good" reviews for movies featuring male leads that do basically the same thing and people loved them.

TheEnforcer
10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I thought it was pretty damn funny. I got into an arguement with my wife one time about whether they sang a song about a penis in the movie. She swears they didn't. Is that only in the unrated version?

SykkBoy
10-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Comedy Central would have had to chop it severely to show it, I imagine...unless they do the "late at night uncut" thing. I think it's absolutely hysterical when it's uncut.

I forget what site I was on that had reviews. The reviews people gave it were absolutely brutal. It was almost universally despised. I was actually a little stunned by the reviews. Sure, it is what it is, but I've seen a lot of "good" reviews for movies featuring male leads that do basically the same thing and people loved them.
Yeah, they showed it on thier Secret Stash show, which airs Saturday Nights at 1am and shows movies uncut.

Trev
10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
If you've got time to watch movies, then I'm doing something wrong :(

I'm starting a hate list :finger011

Bhelliom
10-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Well I suppose I'll have to check this out now.

I'm not opposed to a good sex filled chick flick

On another movie note.... you should all check out the new amityville horror
wayyy better than the originals

helix
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
lol...The Penis Song.
Maybe you hummm a few bars of it for us ;)

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I thought it was pretty damn funny. I got into an arguement with my wife one time about whether they sang a song about a penis in the movie. She swears they didn't. Is that only in the unrated version?

The most *definitely* sang "The Penis Song" in that movie. I saw it first on cable - I *think,* it may have been pay-per-view, but I believe it's longer in the unrated version.

helix...I generally end up both singing a long and humming it for the rest of the day after I've watched it...as I did this morning. :)

Red
10-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I never got around to seeing it, but the next time comedy central runs it on the secret stash I'll check it out since you and I have the same warped sense of humor. :)

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
I never got around to seeing it, but the next time comedy central runs it on the secret stash I'll check it out since you and I have the same warped sense of humor. :)

I just love this silly movie! :)

I never watched - in fact, avoided like the plague - that horrible show that Christina Applegate was on when she was younger. I didn't even realize that the obviously intelligent, striking woman in "The Sweetest Thing" was the same person at first.

voodooman
10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I watched this movie just the other day and all I have to say is.

WHY CANT THERE BE MORE WOMEN LIKE THAT IN THIS WORLD????

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 08:46 PM
I watched this movie just the other day and all I have to say is.

WHY CANT THERE BE MORE WOMEN LIKE THAT IN THIS WORLD????

I personally feel that's a sensible male response to the movie.

I couldn't believe the number of men who reviewed it badly. Blatant sexism, I feel. If men behave like that: it's fine. If women do the exact same thing...argh.

TheEnforcer
10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
I just love this silly movie! :)

I never watched - in fact, avoided like the plague - that horrible show that Christina Applegate was on when she was younger. I didn't even realize that the obviously intelligent, striking woman in "The Sweetest Thing" was the same person at first.

You did NOT just diss Maried With Children!!! :mad: That show was great! :okthumb: Poor Al bundy!! :(

MorganGrayson
10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
You did NOT just diss Maried With Children!!! :mad: That show was great! :okthumb: Poor Al bundy!! :(

Yep. I *severely* dissed that show. I accidentally watched it a couple of times and omigosh...everything I despised all in one place. :blink:

Dravyk
10-17-2005, 10:41 PM
This is an oldie, but if you haven't seen it, then it's "new to you"!

Add this to your collection, Morgan. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/211907

Red
10-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Add this to your collection, Morgan. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/211907

I saw that 5 years ago. I'd forgotton how much I loved it. Thanks Dravyk. :)

Dravyk
10-18-2005, 12:01 AM
I saw that 5 years ago. I'd forgotton how much I loved it. Thanks Dravyk. :)My pleasure, Red. :)

TheEnforcer
10-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Yep. I *severely* dissed that show. I accidentally watched it a couple of times and omigosh...everything I despised all in one place. :blink:

I just loved that show. Couldn't help but feel sorry for poor Al..... crappy kids and the worst wife in the world!!

Nickatilynx
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I just loved that show. Couldn't help but feel sorry for poor Al..... crappy kids and the worst wife in the world!!

I thought Peg was fucking hot! :)

Trev
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
This did it for me everytime:

Newton
10-18-2005, 12:29 PM
fuck i loved that program, one of the only decent series to reach these shores, from the US ..

Timon
10-18-2005, 12:57 PM
I personally feel that's a sensible male response to the movie.

I couldn't believe the number of men who reviewed it badly. Blatant sexism, I feel. If men behave like that: it's fine. If women do the exact same thing...argh.

To bad the response didn't come from an actual male ;)

SykkBoy
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I thought Peg was fucking hot! :)

wow, we've found something you and I have similar tastes on ;-)

MorganGrayson
10-18-2005, 02:39 PM
wow, we've found something you and I have similar tastes on ;-)

This is scary is so many ways.... :blink:

grimm
10-19-2005, 03:20 AM
The world is full of "vulgar guy movies," featuring characters who comment on sex, dating, etc.

I've only seen one "vulgar chick movie" that does the same.

It's called "The Sweetest Thing" and stars Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate, Selma Blair, Thomas Jane and Jason Bateman.

I have the unrated version; have seen it probably a dozen times; I still sing along with "The Penis Song." :)

Has anyone else seen it and have a comment?

the penis song was funny at first, but that movie really blew:)

ReighlynnRaine
10-19-2005, 11:24 AM

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/211907 (http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/211907)

OMFG... that was awesome!!! *scampers off to share it with everyone*

Dravyk
10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
OMFG... that was awesome!!! *scampers off to share it with everyone*hehe Glad you enjoyed it, Reighlynn! :)