PDA

View Full Version : Steves DVD buy of the year

pushpills
10-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Me and You and Everyone We Know (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AMJFYA/qid=1129061048/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6856346-8020951?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)

If you haven't seen it, and odds are good you haven't as it wasn't in most regular theatres (independent, of course), i'd highly recommend you buy it. It comes out wednesday, and odds are like palindromes, there'll be a very long wait for it on netflix. You'll watch it more than enough to justify the dvd purchase.

It's written and directed by Miranda July, who also stars, her first full length film.

This is a film for all types of audiences, even if you don't normally watch indie films, since the comedy in it appeals to everyone. The feel of the movie might remind you a bit of Todd Solondz film happiness (its not dark though). The score is done by Michael Andrews, the man who did the score for Donnie Darko.

Anyway, you'll love this film, even if you don't like indie films usually, and your friends will thank you for recommending it. I saw it 5 times at the theatre, which is my most. Enjoy.

Newton
10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Could be interesting .. Plot Outline: A lonely shoe salesman and an eccentric performance artist struggle to connect in this unique take on contemporary life. Thanks Steve will check it out

pushpills
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Could be interesting .. Plot Outline: A lonely shoe salesman and an eccentric performance artist struggle to connect in this unique take on contemporary life. Thanks Steve will check it out

the plot kinda makes it sound likes its not a comedy. anyway, even that cocksucker ebert gave it 4 stars. enjoy.

Peaches
10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
It's on my Netflix list already :)

pushpills
10-12-2005, 06:30 AM
If you can't swing the 17 bucks, I might buy it for you. If you constantly go to movies because its a top 3 grosser....please count yourself out.

Let me know.

Oh and peaches, lmk what the wait is on netflix in your area tomorrow. I imagine it will be "long wait". If so I'd be happy to send a copy your way.

Peaches
10-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Oh and peaches, lmk what the wait is on netflix in your area tomorrow. I imagine it will be "long wait". If so I'd be happy to send a copy your way.
No wait here :) Thanks though! :okthumb:

Top_Of_Google_Man
10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Will probably not get to UK for a year lol

Will have a search anyways!

Newton
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Will probably not get to UK for a year lol

Will have a search anyways!

If you are looking for odd dvd's that aren't available in the UK, http://www.videomatica.ca/ is a pretty good place to have them shipped from .. they had 'withnail and I' when the uk didn't.

justb
10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Looks good. Got a 82% on the tomatometer

Peaches
10-20-2005, 04:32 PM
OK, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood but while I give it thumbs up for its "artsy" feel and content, the plot itself was just plain weird. Not a fan :(

pushpills
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
OK, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood but while I give it thumbs up for its "artsy" feel and content, the plot itself was just plain weird. Not a fan :(

forget about the plot! sadly this is one of those "inbetween" indie films that appeals to the mainstreamer also, so you probably won't wanna go for my 4 hour subtitled arthouse recommendations. if you don't like it, you don't like it, though. "plot" is only one small part of a film, get into the cinematography and scoring films and you'll enjoy them more. it always saddens me when someone remembers a film by "what happened"....in the plot...film is visual. its also possible that you were eating or not really focusing when watching.

too bad its not up your alley, i'll have to seek a new girlfriend elsewhere.

Peaches
10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
:cryin:

(we aren't supposed to like ALL the same things, you know... ;) )

DrGuile
10-20-2005, 05:42 PM
forget about the plot! sadly this is one of those "inbetween" indie films that appeals to the mainstreamer also, so you probably won't wanna go for my 4 hour subtitled arthouse recommendations. if you don't like it, you don't like it, though. "plot" is only one small part of a film, get into the cinematography and scoring films and you'll enjoy them more. it always saddens me when someone remembers a film by "what happened"....in the plot...film is visual. its also possible that you were eating or not really focusing when watching.

A film can be appreciated on it's 'artsy' quality, but I feel it's better if it's the complete package. One example would be Snatch, the cinematic qualities are definitely there, but that doesnt stop it from having a wonderful plot, or great dialogs...

just my .02$

Peaches
10-20-2005, 06:02 PM
(hey, I should get some points for Grogan breaking up with me ;) )