PDA

View Full Version : Calvin and Hobbes fans rejoice!!!!

TheEnforcer
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301754.html

The Tiger Strikes Again
After an Early Bedtime, Calvin and Hobbes Are Up and Running in a New Collection

By Neely Tucker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 4, 2005; Page C01

"Calvin and Hobbes" was such an exuberant, strange and metaphysical realm you wonder how it ever got shoveled into a comic strip.

You remember this when you look at "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes," a 1,456-page art-book epic of every panel ever published: It was original by sheer force of personality. Calvin sounded like a 6-year-old psychotic on Ritalin one day and a Yale lit grad the next. He was id off the leash. He wondered what was worthwhile in life if death was inevitable. ("Seafood," answered Hobbes, his imaginary tiger friend. Wait -- was Hobbes real or not? Debatable.)

Calvin battled blobs of oatmeal and the bathtub suds monster. He and Hobbes hurtled downhill in their wagon and set out for the Yukon. He turned himself into a Tyrannosaurus rex , Calvin the Human Insect, Calvin the Bug, Captain Napalm, Stupendous Man and Spaceman Spiff.

In the middle of class, Calvin's teacher suddenly turns into a pig-snouted monster! The drooling blob demands attention and homework!

"Chew electric death, snarling cur!" Spiff howls, blasting her face off with his Atomic Napalm Neutralizer!

He was known to wear little rocket ship underpants. He feared nothing but the babysitter. Also the dark.

============================

Four page article on the best comic strip of all time!! Watterson has a new compilation book coming out that has every strip he made. The book is huge...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0740748475/qid=1128442508/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-0833921-7437401?v=glance&s=books

Phoenix
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
ill buy it...i laugh whenever i read one of their strips

Grump
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Calvin and Hobbes ranks right up there with The Far Side and Bloom County.

Great news and thanks for posting it TE.

pushpills
10-04-2005, 12:46 PM
perfect for autumn/winter :)

i dunno where all my old calvin and hobbes books went, guess i'll have to order 'er up.

TheEnforcer
10-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed the news. I can still reread those comics and bust out laughing so hard my ribs hurt. :>))

I can't imagine what having a kid like Calvin would be like!! LOL

Dravyk
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Love it!! :)

And Grump, you beat me to it ... If only Bloom County would back!

HotMovies_Jason
10-04-2005, 01:36 PM
My all time favorite is a strip in which Calvin is running down the stairs naked and he yells: "Look Mom, it's nude descending staircase!"

The next panel has Calvin in the corner, being punished. He says to Hobbes: "No one understands art!"

I still get a laugh from it!

Evil Chris
10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Great news... I was always a fan of Calvin & Hobbes.

voodooman
10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks TE, C & H are my all time favorite comic strips.

MorganGrayson
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh, I am so happy to hear this. *Huge* Calvin and Hobbes fan!:clapping:

TheEnforcer
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks TE, C & H are my all time favorite comic strips.

My pleasure. I know one of the things I always looked forward to when this strip was running was having breakfast while reading the paper and reading that comic strip. Did it every day. Enjoyed the other strips but not nearly as much and when he quit doing them I stopped reading the comics.