PDA

View Full Version : Rita body count starting already

sarettah
09-23-2005, 09:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170212,00.html

Bus Explodes on Dallas Highway; Up to 20 Dead
Friday, September 23, 2005

KFAA-TV reported that 20 people had been killed and 12 injured, but that could not be confirmed.

KDFW-TV reported that more that one person was killed, and that some people may have been trapped aboard the bus.

"There were 45 souls on the bus ... at this point we believe we have about half accounted for," Dallas County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Don Peritz said.

"We believe it's going to be closer to 20 fatalities," Peritz later added.

"The early indications are this is a mechanical issue. The driver did survive the accident," Peritz said. "It's my understanding he went back on the bus several times to try to evacuate people."

A Dallas County Sheriff's Department official told FOX News that the bus had been carrying elderly evacuees from coastal areas expected to be hit by the giant hurricane.

He said sparks from the bus's brakes may have ignited oxygen tanks being carried onboard by elderly passengers with respiratory problems.

Evil Chris
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM
I read the story of the (un-named) hurricane that hit Galveston at the turn of the century (1900). It was horrible with more than 10,000 people lost.

I hope that Rita simply dissipates... and fast.