PDA

View Full Version : Urine Powered Batteries Developed for Cell Phones

Newton
09-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Physicists in Singapore have succeeded in creating the first paper battery that generates electricity from urine. This new battery will be the perfect power source for cheap, disposable healthcare test-kits for diseases such as diabetes, and could even be used in emergency situations to power a cell phone.

Scientists in research groups around the world are trying to design ever smaller "biochips" that can test for a variety of diseases at once, give instant results, and, crucially, can be mass produced cheaply. But until now, no one has been able to solve the problem of finding a power source as small and as cheap to fabricate as the detection technology itself.

Led by Dr Ki Bang Lee, a research team at Singapore's Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN) have developed a paper battery that is small, cheap to fabricate, and which ingeniously uses the bio-fluid being tested (e.g. urine) as the power source for the device doing the testing.

The chemical composition of urine is widely used as a way of testing for tell-tale signs of various diseases and also as an indicator of a person's general state of health. The concentration of glucose in urine is a useful diagnostic tool for diabetics. The lead researcher, Dr Lee, envisions a world where people will easily be able to monitor their health at home using disposable test-kits that don't need lithium batteries or external power sources.

Dr. Lee said: "We are striving to develop cheap, disposable credit card-sized biochips for disease detection. Our battery can be easily integrated into such devices, supplying electricity upon contact with biofluids such as urine."

The battery unit is made from a layer of paper that is steeped in copper chloride (CuCl) and sandwiched between strips of magnesium and copper. This "sandwich" is then held in place by being laminated, which involves passing the battery unit between a pair of transparent plastic films through a heating roller at 120 degrees Celsius. The final product has dimensions of 60 mm x 30 mm, and a thickness of just 1 mm (a little bit smaller than a credit card).

Writing in the Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Lee describes how the battery was created and quantifies its performance. Using 0.2 ml of urine, they generated a voltage of around 1.5 V with a corresponding maximum power of 1.5 mW. They also found that the battery performances (such as voltage, power or duration) may be designed or adjusted by changing the geometry or materials used.

"Our urine-activated battery would be integrated into biochip systems for healthcare diagnostic applications," says Lee. He envisions a world where people will easily be able to monitor their health at home, seeking medical attention only when necessary. "These fully-integrated biochip systems have a huge market potential," adds Lee.

ThrobX
09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Aw, piss on it.

Dravyk
09-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Dead cat fuel, now piss batteries ...

This is all starting to remind me of Back to the Future where Chistopher Lloyd at the end of the movie grabs a handful of garbage and puts it in his "Mr. Fussion" to fuel his future car back up. :lol:

ThrobX
09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Dead cat fuel, now piss batteries ...

This is all starting to remind me of Back to the Future where Chistopher Lloyd at the end of the movie grabs a handful of garbage and puts it in his "Mr. Fussion" to fuel his future car back up. :lol:

Can the batteries run on cat piss? If so, maybe I've finally found a use for our cat. He can power my Ipod while living, and power my car after his untimely demise. :okthumb:

ThrobX
09-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Wow, it just hit me. Too bad those batteries weren't developed 6 or 7 years ago. Just imagine how much power could've been generated over the years by all the piss on webmaster boards. :blink:

Newton
09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Exactly ;) I can imagine people with laptops at airports on on planes in the future waiting outside of toilets asking patrons to fill their batteries up lol

Trev
09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Of all the research area's they have pioneered they chose piss :blink:

slavdogg
09-16-2005, 03:28 PM
So if piss on my dead cat, i could power my car and charge my cell phone at the same time ?? :)

Dravyk
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow, it just hit me. Too bad those batteries weren't developed 6 or 7 years ago. Just imagine how much power could've been generated over the years by all the piss on webmaster boards. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gifSerge in his younger days could have perfected Perpetual Motion!!! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wwww.gif

ThrobX
09-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Serge in his younger days could have perfected Perpetual Motion!!! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wwww.gif

Or he could've at least powered a server or two.

MorganGrayson
09-16-2005, 04:58 PM
"Urine Powered Batteries Developed for Cell Phones"

Well, no, they weren't. They were developed for medical testing. Other than the article title being wildly innaccurate, that's an interesting article. (I'm a diabetic and got a nice ride in a ambulance once because my tester howled at me over how low my blood sugar was. I've also had the damned thing's battery die on me. I can put the two together and imagine a very bad day.)