PDA

View Full Version : Why Kentucky?

spazlabz
09-07-2005, 12:12 PM
When I decided I would quit my rather enjoyable job with extreme paychecks at the end of last year to move to Kentucky... well, I was asked 'WHY!!??' quite a bit. It was kind of difficult to answer at the time. I mean sure, who wouldn't love the beautiful mountains of Kentucky... cept i didn't move to those, just hills around here.... well what about the all the gorgeous woodland in Kentucky.... that IS something special... just not real close to me. Then it must be the famous bluegrass and horses... yes ok, there IS Kentucky bluegrass everywhere. My youngest son thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever.... till i explained to him that in fact, the grass was green... just kinda had a blue kinda tint to it if the sun was just right and you turned your head at a funny angle.
I moved up here for 2 reasons and neither of them are bullshit;
1) It's cheaper
2) NO *^&%ing HURRICANES!!!
I know that the second reason seems kind of convient, what with the current situation down in LA, but its the truth. I sat in a 4 bedroom apartment on the tampa bay last year and was scared of 5 different canes. One of which knocked down trees in the apartment complex I resided in. So trust me when i tell you that for the second time if my life i was very relieved to be leaving that god forsaken state.
Now back to the first reason... cost of living. It is quite a bit lower here then elsewhere. For instance, gas as of this morning $3.03 per gallon. Now thats exspensive as shit, but i bet its less then it is anywhere in florida right now. But the reason why I made this post is this. I just read about an auction that took place not to far from here. they auctioned off an old boy scout camp that has been very well maintained. It consisted of a lake, a lighted campground, a large lodge and 2 bunkhouses situated on almost 50 acres of land. It was bought by a soft drink distributor from N.C. Can you guess the price? My wife guessed between 1 and 3 million $'s I think I probably would have guessed the same since I am new here.
The entire thing sold for.... get this..... $171,000
That's it! & here is the kicker, it was on the high end of what the exspected. What was the low end I wonder? How many tiny houses on 1/4 acre lots in tampa could that buy????
If ya want to buy a place with an awesome view and extremely friendly locals,
move to Kentucky.

spaz

MorganGrayson
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I lived in Kentucky for about 15 years. I lived in a suburb of Louisville. We moved to California because it had been a dream of my husband's to move back. My husband used to look out the window of our house in Louisville and say "they'd put three houses in our back yard in California." I thought it hyperbole at the time. Now...I realize he was right. They'd also charge half a million for those houses.

spazlabz
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I lived in Kentucky for about 15 years. I lived in a suburb of Louisville. We moved to California because it had been a dream of my husband's to move back. My husband used to look out the window of our house in Louisville and say "they'd put three houses in our back yard in California." I thought it hyperbole at the time. Now...I realize he was right. They'd also charge half a million for those houses.
LOL No Kidding. the only time i spent in cali was for boot camp and infantry training and there is no way.... seriously no way I would live there LOL

spaz

Newton
09-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Sweet deal at $171k you can get a beach hut here for that .. I shit you not ...