PDA

View Full Version : TGP build Group Project Thread

sarettah
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Step One posted August 31, 2005 (http://oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=42846)

Explains briefly what we are doing and what the first step is :)

Step 2 - posted Late on 08/31/2005 for September 1, 2005 (http://oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=42864)

Starts with creating various folders on the server, changing some permissions and then goes into creating remotethumbs settings and templates

Step 2A - Posted Late September 1, 2005 (http://oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=42887)

Getting text output from remote thumbs

Step 3 - Posted September 2, 2005 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?p=684186#post684186)

Putting remote thumbs output into a webpage using 3 different methods.

Step 4 posted September 9, 2005 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?p=685800#post685800)

Coming up with some good sales text... Led by Morgan :)

Sorry for the delay this week, I have been overrun with projects.

TheEnforcer
09-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Good stuff Sare.. I'll get to it when you explain the text version!! :>))

sarettah
09-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Good stuff Sare.. I'll get to it when you explain the text version!! :>))

Hey Te :)

Everything we are doing now, we will need for the text version.

The text version is done using a custom templateor a custom parsing operation.

To define a custom template, you first must have a template defined because the custom template references the template :)

domtheboy
09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Sarettah you are fucking quality. I'm just starting off on step 2 now, prepare for some seriously dumb questions :)

Trev
09-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Sarettah you are fucking quality. I'm just starting off on step 2 now, prepare for some seriously dumb questions :)
I told you he was ;) :D

domtheboy
09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
I told you he was ;) :D

Fancy him or summat Trev :p

Trev
09-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Fancy him or summat Trev :p
He's just not my type :rolleyes:

domtheboy
09-01-2005, 02:42 PM
He's just not my type :rolleyes:

The sound of a heart breaking echoes across Oprano...:yowsa:

MorganGrayson
09-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey!

You guys get your OWN!!!!! :p

Sarettah is MINE!!!! :yowsa:

Sar...I'm going to be even slower at this than I'd feared, as I'm now attempting to learn to type all over again on a straight keyboard on my husband's computer, having effectively killed my own.

I did get myself a bright, shiny new domain for my soon-to-be (perhaps, maybe) TGP. With my usual blast of creativity, it will be called..."Morgan's TGP." OK, that's sad...but who in the hell could have predicted something called "The Hun" would have become what it did?

sarettah
09-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Sar...I'm going to be even slower at this than I'd feared, as I'm now attempting to learn to type all over again on a straight keyboard on my husband's computer, having effectively killed my own.

Um, Morgan, sweetie ? You do know that keyboards can be switched don't you ? :yowsa:

sarettah
09-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I was just asked a great question in icq..

I am guilty of the biggest sin of all...presumption of prior knowledge...sorry about that.

The question I was asked had to do with the structure of the site on the server itself and where the thumbs directory, template directory etc went.

Ok, when you FTP into your server, you usually end up in what I will refer to as your "web space". If you are on a shared server, this is probably your domain folder. ie: if I FTP'd to sexeducatoon.com I would end up in the area on the server that the server calls sexeducatoon.com. If you are on a dedicated server, you probably end up in your web space root directory and from this you have folders for each of the domains that you have on that server.

The folders we are creating should go in your domain directory. So if you are on shared, that is often the directory you end up in when you FTP in. If you are on dedicated, then you probably have to move up one directory to a domain directory before creating the folders.

So, the structure for this should be something like:

Domain folder.
................. cgi-bin folder
...................................scripts folder
................. Thumbnail folder
..................Template folder

Does that help any ?

MorganGrayson
09-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Um, Morgan, sweetie ? You do know that keyboards can be switched don't you ? :yowsa:

Yes, my scrumptious, I do know that. :yowsa:

However, putting this as delicately as possible, I do not have the physical capablities of this. (The ship sailed on the "bend, reach, pull" thing for me quite some time ago.) The one thing that *will* make my husband raise his voice is my hurting myself doing something I know damned well I shouldn't.

I wish my cat would stop giving me the "what are you doing in Daddy's chair?" looks. That bugs.

sarettah
09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Please Note:

In step 2, I indicate that after you create your settings, test them and then download the script...

I think I am wrong here. You need to download the script, put it on the server, and then test it.

If there are problems, go back in, edit the settings, then download the script, put it on the server and repeat :)

sarettah
09-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, I know that at least 2 of us managed to get through the settings part ok :)

How are the rest of you doing ?

domtheboy
09-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Done ! Managed to get everything working so far, right through to hitting the magic generate button :) Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's session !

Trev
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm up to speed, looking forward to the text link breakdown :)

MorganGrayson
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Look, Mom! I'm CHMODing!!!! :cdance:

I got the permissions set on the thumnails folder, which I have oh-so-cleverly named "thumnails." :D

WTF is "perl" and what semi-quasi-hopefully intelligent thing do I say to Steady to get it??? :) (He gave me such a warm, wonderful welcome for my new site and account and I don't want him to take it back!!)

sarettah
09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Look, Mom! I'm CHMODing!!!! :cdance:

I got the permissions set on the thumnails folder, which I have oh-so-cleverly named "thumnails." :D

WTF is "perl" and what semi-quasi-hopefully intelligent thing do I say to Steady to get it??? :) (He gave me such a warm, wonderful welcome for my new site and account and I don't want him to take it back!!)

perl is a program that is on most Linux/unix servers. Remote thumbs script is written in perl so it needs the perl executable to run.

:)

MorganGrayson
09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Sarettah...when setting up the "settings" on Remote Thumbs, it's asking me a question I don't understand: the physical location of the thumbs on my hard drive one; the question right before perl. It's the next to last question.

sarettah
09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Sarettah...when setting up the "settings" on Remote Thumbs, it's asking me a question I don't understand: the physical location of the thumbs on my hard drive one; the question right before perl. It's the next to last question.

It needs the actual server path to the thumbnails, something like:

/home/username/domainfolder/thumbsfolder

as opposed to the url: www.domainname.com/thumbsfolder

If you don't know it, leave it blank for now, there is a part in the test feature that tries to determine the physical location of your domain root, if it can't find it then we go to the route of last resort which is ask our host :))

sarettah
09-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I am probably going to take the weekend off from this, so I will get back on and start on step 4 on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

(and I could end up doing it early, of course)

ReighlynnRaine
09-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Steps 1-4 in one easy thread!!

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=43610

It's shake and bake... and I helped!

MorganGrayson
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Steps 1-4 in one easy thread!!

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=43610

It's shake and bake... and I helped!

:bustingup

I *loved* that line!! (Who remembers the commercial?)

ReighlynnRaine
09-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I'm here to amuse... hehe :)

domtheboy
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Reighlynn, where did you get your avatar from ?

ReighlynnRaine
09-30-2005, 05:54 PM
It's a modified version of Onyx from the new Trollz cartoon.

Trev
09-30-2005, 06:03 PM
It's a modified version of Onyx from the new Trollz cartoon.
I like it, it's very feline looking.

ReighlynnRaine
09-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Thank you :)