PDA

View Full Version : Rome on HBO

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/25/apontv.rome.ap/index.html

Looking at 'Rome' through the eyes of ordinary people

Thursday, August 25, 2005; Posted: 9:36 a.m. EDT (13:36 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Back in 52 B.C., Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo were bit players in Julius Caesar's sweeping account of the Gallic Wars.

Now these two soldiers assigned to the conquerer's 13th Legion have leading roles in HBO's lavish new series "Rome," about historic events as seen through the eyes of ordinary men.

"These names actually walked the earth ... It made you think, 'My God, you are going to carry somebody's name. Let's flesh him out. Let's see what he is!' " says Ray Stevenson ("The Theory of Flight," "King Arthur"), who plays Pullo, a big, bold man who loves a fierce fight, a stiff drink and a good prostitute.

Kevin McKidd ("Trainspotting") plays disciplined and dedicated Vorenus, who returns home after years of battles to a wife who may not have been faithful and a Republic that's on the brink of civil war.

"These are the only two ordinary soldiers mentioned by Caesar in his book, so the idea was to do a sort of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern take," says Bruno Heller, the series' co-creator, executive producer and writer. He refers, of course, to the two minor characters in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" who became the title characters of a widely acclaimed Tom Stoppard play.

"I essentially took the seed of that idea to try to tell a big, historical epic, but from the street level, the everyman's point of view," Heller explains.

"It's a wonderful device to be able to show the huge events in history this way. Sometimes it is the man in the street who drops the stone that causes the ripple, which upsets the empire. I'm sure it's happening today as we speak," says Stevenson.

"Rome" debuts 9 p.m. EDT Sunday. Its network, HBO, is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.
=======================================

Full articlke by clicking link.

Anyone else gonna watch this? I'm thinking about picking HBO up just to see this show.

Nickatilynx
08-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

Though Best Roman series ever..."I,Claudius"

Bhelliom
08-25-2005, 11:55 AM
I've been seeing the previews for a while

It looks really good and I can't wait to check it out

Mike AI
08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
HBO is worth getting for many other shows. Deadwood, Sopranos, Entourage to name a few.

Peaches
08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
It's sheduled on TiVo!

Newton
08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Nice, may have to wait until its out on dvd ...

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 12:21 PM
HBO is worth getting for many other shows. Deadwood, Sopranos, Entourage to name a few.

Yeah, I've heard good things about all of those to be sure. :okthumb:

Bhelliom
08-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I've heard good things about all of those to be sure. :okthumb:

You aren't suggesting you haven't even SEEN the Sopranos? one of the greatest shows out there?

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
You aren't suggesting you haven't even SEEN the Sopranos? one of the greatest shows out there?

Yup, I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos. Actually I've never seen an episode from any of HBO's orginal series. I do have several in my quene in Netflix though!! :)

Bhelliom
08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Sweet mother of pluck... you need to bump those to the top or your queue :P

EroticySteve
08-25-2005, 12:50 PM
HBO hit a homerun with Sopranos and has followed it up with some amazing series. They have a flair for realizing potential. Entourage is by far my favorite show in a long time. It's the most believable dialogue on any TV show.Deadwood was great too.

Newton
08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
TE .. i am shocked mate .. The Sopranos is hilarious and a very good series.

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Sweet mother of pluck... you need to bump those to the top or your queue :P

The Sopranos is next in line after I run through the last two seasons of Star Trek Voyager if my memory serves me correctly. Almost all I have in my quene are television shows that I haven't seen or greatly enjoyed. I pop them in when I go to bed at night and watch a few episodes before dozing off.

Bhelliom
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
That's ok then... Voyager is an acceptable series :D

Peaches
08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Yup, I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos. Actually I've never seen an episode from any of HBO's orginal series. I do have several in my quene in Netflix though!! :)
And one on the way if I can ever get my fat ass to the post office!

gonzo
08-25-2005, 01:39 PM

I read they are reruning OZ very soon too. I dont know how I ever lived without HBO. Well I dont know how I ever lived without watching HBO...I had it and didnt watch it.

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
And one on the way if I can ever get my fat ass to the post office!

Thanks again dear! No need to rush! :)

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
That's ok then... Voyager is an acceptable series :D

Just got done watching Season 6 discs one and two over the weekend and last night. Some great episodes in there including Equinox part 2 (http://www.st-hypertext.com/voy-6/equinox2.html), Barge of the Dead (http://www.st-hypertext.com/voy-6/barge.html), Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy (http://www.st-hypertext.com/voy-6/tinker.html), and One Small Step (http://www.st-hypertext.com/voy-6/onesmallstep.html)

Bhelliom
08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
all good episodes... i've been looking for just the last episode... haven't seen it in a long time

TheEnforcer
08-25-2005, 01:54 PM
all good episodes... i've been looking for just the last episode... haven't seen it in a long time

Endgame. Sign up for a Netflix account and have em send season 7 disc seven and you'll get it :>))

Ok.. now I gotta go buy a wedding present for a wedding I am going to this weekend! :hmm: Be back in a bit.