View Full Version : Ooh Google

Newton
08-24-2005, 01:51 PM
More interesting things emerge from Google with Google Talk ..

http://www.google.com/talk/

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
we already have too many chat programs :P

Interesting though... I'm sure that willbe the next big thing

Newton
08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Well if anyone wants a gmail account, I still have shitloads left

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 02:09 PM
As do I

DrGuile
08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Honestly, it is most disapointing...

Google usually pushes whatever envelope they're working on (in?)....

This product has nothing to offer... (yet?)

Newton
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I can see numerous benefits coupled with their other offerings.

Rolo
08-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Google should buy Skype

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-24-2005, 05:23 PM
The voice quality is great....but its not busy yet.....so lets wait and see.

grimm
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
More interesting things emerge from Google with Google Talk ..

http://www.google.com/talk/

ive been using the ICQ version of this for over a year. works pretty well. my vaoi doesnt even need an external mic.

Hell Puppy
08-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Google is using their IPO money well. They've invested in the best and brightest including recruiting enough away from Microsoft to make Bill start to whine and reach for his lawyers. They're building more and more things that will pull more and more eyeballs and impressions.

Gmail is a great example, the number of page impressions that thing added to their inventory is absolutely incredible. Their IM product is a bit half baked at the moment, but they'll get it right as well.

However, the problem they're starting to face is one we've all faced.....ad blindness.

Do you even notice that ads on your Gmail anymore? I know I dont. It's like they're not even there.

grimm
08-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Google is using their IPO money well. They've invested in the best and brightest including recruiting enough away from Microsoft to make Bill start to whine and reach for his lawyers. They're building more and more things that will pull more and more eyeballs and impressions.

Gmail is a great example, the number of page impressions that thing added to their inventory is absolutely incredible. Their IM product is a bit half baked at the moment, but they'll get it right as well.

However, the problem they're starting to face is one we've all faced.....ad blindness.

Do you even notice that ads on your Gmail anymore? I know I dont. It's like they're not even there.

theres a good article in wired this month about how YHOO has branched off into a successful media company, and instead of focusing on search, will be focused on VOD, mobile technology, etc. interesting read. ESPN is making strong headway too. MNF starts its inaugural season on ESPN next season.. real time video over a cell phone of an actual game would be every gamblers dream:)

as for ads, i notice it too, but its like waiting for the other shoe to fall. look at hotmail now as opposed to 8 years ago.. choking with ads now. i think google is flush with cash and its IPO money and is spending its time just growing the loyal user base. i expect several large moves, even a media acquisition in the next 18 months or so. should be interesting

Dravyk
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
theres a good article in wired this month about how YHOO has branched off into a successful media company, and instead of focusing on search, will be focused on VOD, mobile technology, etc. interesting read.
Yep, they've been hiring execs from television networks and the Hollywood movie industry in the past year.

On a similar line, I've also been reading about a new medium for video content producers and tv/movie companies: made-for-mobile productions.

Squishy
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Damn it! I'm all over Googles products! I'm some sort of sheep!

Newton
08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I think i should keep vodmobiles.com then lol thanks Grimm ;)

DollarManSteve
08-25-2005, 10:34 AM

There are ads in my Gmail?!?!??

Newton
08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Yep, inside each mail on the right, i never noticed them before either ..

The Other Steve
08-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Yep, inside each mail on the right, i never noticed them before either ..

It won't be long before we see them start to mix the ads into the text. They are already encouraging Adsense publishers to try that and bloggers have been finding that technique can really boost their click thru ratio.

Dravyk
08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
There are ads in my Gmail?!?!??I heard recently there's sigs on GFY too.

Probably just a rumor though.

slavdogg
08-26-2005, 05:38 AM
theres a good article in wired this month about how YHOO has branched off into a successful media company, and instead of focusing on search, will be focused on VOD, mobile technology, etc. interesting read. ESPN is making strong headway too. MNF starts its inaugural season on ESPN next season.. real time video over a cell phone of an actual game would be every gamblers dream:)

As someone that works with both Yahoo and Google
They have some major difference there
Yahoo is run by Media and Hollywood type of people that in most cased dont understand internet technology much. We'll see how well they do with VOD and mobile stuff, but so far much of their technology is behind Google.

Google on the other hand is hungry for innovation. They've hired a shitload of smart techy MIT graduate type of people that can think outside the box and innovate at the same time. Its fun watching this company.

Rolo
08-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Its fun watching this company.

Yeah - it almost feel like adult business back in 1996-1999... with a flow of new services/concepts/products :)

slavdogg
08-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeah - it almost feel like adult business back in 1996-1999... with a flow of new services/concepts/products :)

yup, exactly