PDA

View Full Version : Important Passport Question

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey I'm "supposed" to be going to LA for business on sept 6.

However, I don't have a passport yet... Do I need a Passport yet to get into the US from Canada? or is a birth certificate enough still?

I know they were talking about making passport mandatory... but has that gone through? and when will it be enforced?

if i have to go throug hthe hell of getting a passport in 6 days i'm going to be upset...

Peaches
08-24-2005, 01:21 PM

However, I don't have a passport yet... Do I need a Passport yet to get into the US from Canada? or is a birth certificate enough still?

I know they were talking about making passport mandatory... but has that gone through? and when will it be enforced?

if i have to go throug hthe hell of getting a passport in 6 days i'm going to be upset...

I don't THINK that goes into effect until 2006.

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah I didn't think so either... but i need to know before i go out and spend 200 bucks getting everything expedited... which is a lot for a student...

I also need to get my Birth Certificate replaced first... so its a really tight time frame... if i just have to worry about my birth certificate for now that will be a huge load off my mind...

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Are you Kidding me? 20 people have read this and no one has an answer?

DrGuile
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
- Not mandatory yet

- Have it anyway, that will save you alot of trouble

- dont have birth certificate and you think you'll have a passport within 12 days? Good fucking chance

Peaches
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Are you Kidding me? 20 people have read this and no one has an answer?
Damn, fine, I'll do your work for you - welcome to Google ;)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/documentary_req.xml

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah peaches I'm lazy.. thanks for the help

DrGuile. That's why I was freaking out a little bit. I can do it but it'll be very tight. Fortunately, I don't need one yet.

So I just have to rush my birth certificate

DrGuile
08-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Think that being last minute for your documents might have anything to do with that, grasshopper?

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 02:43 PM
didn't know i was supposed to go until last minute... but yeah... could be an indication of my general procrastination

*KK*
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
I think a couple of Canadians were denied entry for Internext because they didn't have passports. You really should get one in any case, how do you go to other countries that do require them?

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I haven't been out of country in 8 years. My old passport is expired

Dravyk
08-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Hmm. Wonder when the border fence will go up. :unsure:

Nickatilynx
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I think a couple of Canadians were denied entry for Internext because they didn't have passports. You really should get one in any case, how do you go to other countries that do require them?

A few American webmasters were denied entry to Vancouver for having been convicted of crimes LOL

Here was 2 of them.

Stealing an audio tape.
Stealing a lawnmower. (rode it home i believe , whilst drunk) LOL

Dravyk
08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Stealing an audio tape.
Stealing a lawnmower. (rode it home i believe , whilst drunk) LOLI remember the latter, and who! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wwww.gif

Don't recall the first one. Will have to hit you up on that privately. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

.... Hmmm. Now I think about it ... how did Kaiser get in? http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gif

Nickatilynx
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I remember the latter, and who! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wwww.gif

Don't recall the first one. Will have to hit you up on that privately. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gif

.... Hmmm. Now I think about it ... how did Kaiser get in? http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gif

Pure luck.

They didn't run him.

MorganGrayson
08-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I adored my trip to Vancouver. This was a long time ago, though. I believe I had my birth certificate and driver's license. Between the flight up on Air Canada (the steward, an older gentleman with steel grey hair and a silver coffee pot) enquired if "Madam would desire more coffee?" Oh, yeeesss, Madam would! If I could have fit him in my carry on...I would have kept him. :yowsa: The other notable thing at the airports was that everyone was so terribly polite. Americans notice those things - once we get over the shock.

I stayed at a lovely home owned by a beautiful woman and her fantastic children. *Great* kids. :)

And...some guy. :p

Inabon
08-24-2005, 04:53 PM
get a passport there is a big black guy that went nuts on joe and gonzo when we were coming through. they had drivers licenses only

funny he did not even look at my beat down all fucked up 10 times washed usa passport, guess he said shit a spic with a usa passport go figure...

he also did not pay much attention to technick :)

he picked on the 2 rednecks LOL

Raven
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Before....it was a driver's license. If you're a cute chick or an old lady, they sometimes let you in if you cry....and only have a driver's license....that was in October.

Now, it's a birth certificate, tears or not...and next year, it's a passport.....which is best to get anyway....just in case.

Hell Puppy
08-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Do you look like an Arab?

If so, you'll get thru with no problem as they'll be afraid you'll scream about profiling if they stop you...

Nickatilynx
08-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Do you look like an Arab?

If so, you'll get thru with no problem as they'll be afraid you'll scream about profiling if they stop you...

No lie...

I was stopped at a border crossing.

They had told to me to take a seat.

"Fuck" , I think still , Ah well won't be long.

While we were waiting a guy in a old beat up white mercedes drove up , he got out and came to the desk.The guy was a double for Sadam Hussein.I turned to my wife and whispered "this guy is sooooo fucked"

I over hear him explaining , in broken English, that he has lost all his documents but he lives in USA.

The same guy that stopped us is dealing with him. By now I am smirking at my wife in anticipation of the hell this guy is gonna give "Saddam"

Instead he says "no problem , welcome home"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He then waves me over.

"And the purpose of your visit?"
"Taking the wife and kids to disney california."I tell him again.
"Do you have bills to prove you have a residence in Canada?" (out comes utility bills etc etc , as I've been through this before)
Thats great , you and your kids may enter The United States , but your wife is British and has entered and rentered the US the max times a Brit subject can without applying for a Visa!""
""You can't be serious"
I'm absolutely serious...and if you try and enter at another port you will be banned from US soil for 5 yrs.

So we leave , and my wife applies for a visa allowing a UK citizen unlimited enteries and reentries.

Here is the funny bit....

About 2 mths later she receives in the mail a VISA allowing residence in the US for 10 years , which I have been told is pretty much a green card , with a non working condition LOL

My brother of course shakes his head in wonder as he is on B2 or TN visas and its a living hell.

The best one was when he first applied for residence in the US .
They looked at his credentials with scorn and said , "What is this University? Its not on our list of accredited."

"This is crazy.Its Oxford University.It was good enough for Clinton" he says.

Fortunately a supervisor heard or he would have been fucked. LOL

grimm
08-24-2005, 09:25 PM

i dont know, i know pre 9/11 a certain webmaster got into montreal on his gym ID:)

here in the states you can get a passport in 2 hours or so. just go in, pay an expediting fee, and pick it up later that day. as for canada, i dont know.

Winetalk.com
08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
my most interesting moment of "entry" was in 1983 in Alaska, Nome. I wasn't a citizen, but had some work to do at the US Military base which tests EVERYTHING US Army buys for cold handling, from electronics to weapon systems.

I was let in after 30 seconds interview, and my Russian accents was much thicker in those days. After I asked the leutenant I was working in if they were concerned about me being from the Soviet Union, which was still in tact back in a day, he told me the truth:
every day Russian satelite flys over and they were doubting very much that I can see more than the satelite camera with .01 inch by .01 inch resolution can not
:)

gonzo
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM
i dont know, i know pre 9/11 a certain webmaster got into montreal on his gym ID:)

here in the states you can get a passport in 2 hours or so. just go in, pay an expediting fee, and pick it up later that day. as for canada, i dont know.

I know one post 9/11 that got in with a fucking Sams Club card!

Of course they get pissy coming out if the car is full of mutton and sun chips gas....and the Americans have left birth certificates in the trunk!:clubinhan

ps Man And Bat smiley added!

Dravyk
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Are they still doing reverse profiling? Holy shit!! I swear they just want us to get bombed. :(

Nick, I hear ya!! After 9/11 boarding domestic flights I got stopped three times for the (cough) "random take some out of line at the boarding gate" bit.

The last time. I was going to the Flordia show. Was hot in Philly, and was of course hot in Florida. I checked my luggage, no carry on, a bottle of water, my ticket and a just-purchased paper back in my hand and I'm wearing Tshirt and shorts.

Meanwhile -- no bull -- six people in front of me was an student kinda guy, about 23 years old, thick beard, of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern origin with a giant and I mean giant bright red heavy duffel bag, the kind they like to pack through Europe in and stay at hostels. And behind me, a skinny guy who kept sweating and looking around a lot. And another couple in dashikis and Afrikan caps ...

So yeah, pick on the early forties Irish white guy with no bag that's almost naked!!:steemed:

Peaches
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
I've only been stopped twice - and then only asked to remove my shoes: In Anchorage and in Ft. Lauderdale when I was in line with LBBV and Sweet T. I blame them - I was guilty by association!

Raven
08-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I've only been stopped twice - and then only asked to remove my shoes: In Anchorage and in Ft. Lauderdale when I was in line with LBBV and Sweet T. I blame them - I was guilty by association!

I had no trouble leaving the country.

It's the States for me. I travel once a month or so to various cities. You name the airport. I've been searched.

Hell Puppy
08-25-2005, 12:45 AM

My current favorite is the fact that the TSA in Atlanta has this woman who has to be 70+ years old with cataracts stationed at the point in line where they check your ID against your ticket.

Her arms have to get really tired after moving them back and forth for 30 seconds while she tries to focus on everyone's driver's license all day long.

gonzo
08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
My current favorite is the fact that the TSA in Atlanta has this woman who has to be 70+ years old with cataracts stationed at the point in line where they check your ID against your ticket.

Her arms have to get really tired after moving them back and forth for 30 seconds while she tries to focus on everyone's driver's license all day long.

"Ya id sez James but dis ticket beez fo' Jim. Weez gots a problem."

She needs some damn shellfish too.

Dravyk
08-25-2005, 01:19 AM

She needs some damn shellfish too.I suspect I've seen her sister working at PHL. :hmm:

Her after looking at ticket: "So you're going to Vegas. And how are you getting there?"

Me: "Um ... Flying,"

Winetalk.com
08-25-2005, 02:41 AM
I had no trouble leaving the country.

It's the States for me. I travel once a month or so to various cities. You name the airport. I've been searched.

Raven,
nobody thinks you are a terrorist,
it's your "body cavities" they are after
:)

Peaches
08-25-2005, 09:05 AM

She needs some damn shellfish too.
Easy solution - get your ticket in the name of James ;)

As many know, I have a zillion nicknames but at least I know to put my real name on my plane ticket :)

Then again, when I do that I have the owner of WEG running around the office asking who the hell I am and accusing Cory of sneaking in one of his wimmins ;)

nlphoto
08-25-2005, 02:07 PM

I'd have replied earlier in the thread, but I'm err... lazy... :p

So yeah, pick on the early forties Irish white guy with no bag that's almost naked!!:steemed:

Stop complaining, you big tease... :rolleyes:

I recently went and got a new PO Box... at this point you need 2 forms of photo IDs... one being a state drivers license or non-drivers ID, the other can be a military ID or a passport. They won't take an insurance card, birth certificate, or even a credit card with your photo on the card.

In my case, I still had to bring in a utility bill with my current address, since my license has my past address. The only reason I did get the box without a current passport, is because I'm there 2-3 times a week for the past 5 years, and the supervisor on duty knows me.

A passport is going to become more and more needed, simply as another ID, irrelevent of whether you are traveling ... I'll end up getting one soon, and I never go anywhere... :unsure:

Nickatilynx
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
This thread reminded me...

Back in the day it was sometimes necessary to have 2 passports.

Note , not for crooked shit LOL

For example , If you were going to Israel and then another time you were going to Syria , it was a good idea not to have an Israeli stamp in your passport.

Dravyk
08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Nick and I were talking and we agreed ... Him, Gonzo, me, SweetT all stopped ...

They're purposely picking on the Irish!!!! Bloody bastards!

There's a class-action suit in here just waiting to get out.

Stop complaining, you big tease... http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Eh, you love it! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Peaches
08-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Nick and I were talking and we agreed ... Him, Gonzo, me, SweetT all stopped ...

They're purposely picking on the Irish!!!! Bloody bastards!

There's a class-action suit in here just waiting to get out.

Eh, you love it! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/tongue.gif
To clarify, I didn't make the quote attributed to me ;)

I am however, half Irish!

*KK*
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Canada is easy, if they don't want to let you in, you just ante up the 200 bucks for a temporary Canadian residency. They staple a paper into your passport and then as long as you renew it before it expires (every 6 months) you also get to use the residents line, which is almost always waaaaay shorter than the non-residents at INS...

Nickatilynx
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
To clarify, I didn't make the quote attributed to me ;)

I am however, half Irish!

I thought you had some Irish in ya.

Probably quite a few times...

;-)))