PDA

View Full Version : One Hell of a week

weirdharold
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
One computer took a shit then the internet connection got hard to get along with, now school has started again and the classes are kinda fucked up..... some one please tell me it will get bettter....Please!

Sin
08-23-2005, 11:20 PM
it will get better weirdharold. :)

Hi btw, I'm new here (I don't think I saw you in my 'newbie' thread)

The first two look expected, but what are you studying in school & how are the classes fucked up, if I can ask?

Red
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
It will get better baby. That's what I tell myself every single day. You just gotta believe.

Newton
08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Something will always come along when everything is going sweetly .. its called Sod's Law ...

MorganGrayson
08-24-2005, 02:47 PM
harold...if you *really* want to improve your week, check out Sin's newbie thread in the Lounge. It will make you downright perky. :)

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
made "something" of mine perky at least...

MorganGrayson
08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
made "something" of mine perky at least...

Yes, Derek. *You* it made "upright" perky. :D

Bhelliom
08-24-2005, 03:14 PM
That's what i'm here for

WickedTemptress
08-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I hope things get better for you soon Honey :)

weirdharold
08-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Well things got worse, another machine went down and the only thing I had left was so slow I threw it out in the yard! But I have gotten back one machine and am waiting on my "baby" to get back from Toshiba..... I miss her soooo!!

MorganGrayson
08-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Harold...I hope the comp situation improves for you. I did want to tell you that you came close to fulfilling a long held fantasy of mine by tossing a machine into the yard. I always threatened to back my car over mine.

It started when my daughter's machine went "crash." (The sound, I mean.) Now, generally, stationary objects don't make crashing sounds. They do if the hard drive *literally* falls apart. She was young at the time and had to be held with soothing "I know you didn't do anything stupid, honey" words from Mom...and some world class swearing by Dad.

To err is human.

To really fuck up...you need a computer.

weirdharold
08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
it will get better weirdharold. :)

Hi btw, I'm new here (I don't think I saw you in my 'newbie' thread)

The first two look expected, but what are you studying in school & how are the classes fucked up, if I can ask?I didn't mean to ignore your questions, Sin. Just have been so fustrated!

I am an old man (52) and a college freshman (2nd semester) studying Computer Science... well sooner or later I will be studying computer science... seems like all my time now is going toward getting edges of me rounded off! That is how the classes are so fucked up! I have more Psych and english than anything to do with computers as of this time.

Oh what we go through... just to learn a bit of fluff.

MorganGrayson
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I didn't mean to ignore your questions, Sin. Just have been so fustrated!

I am an old man (52) and a college freshman (2nd semester) studying Computer Science... well sooner or later I will be studying computer science... seems like all my time now is going toward getting edges of me rounded off! That is how the classes are so fucked up! I have more Psych and english than anything to do with computers as of this time.

Oh what we go through... just to learn a bit of fluff.

Harold...my husband is a 57 year old college freshman. (I think he has one more class before he becomes a sophomore.) He's still working on the beginning stuff, too. It will be a while before he gets to his "core classes," and actually starts on the "Information Technology," which is what his degreen will be in. His next two classes are Algebra. He's still swearing over the price of the textbook.

weirdharold
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Please... I wish you hadn't even mentioned the cost of text..... They are beyound anything reasonable that is for sure!

It is good to know I am not the only old man trying to get some more formal education.

The first time I tried college I was 18 didn't really want to go to school anymore anyway. Then I entered the hall of the big school and one of the first things I saw was my first see through blouse..... there was a shift in my educational priorities! I learned a lot.... but flunked out of the University! Had to apply for academic renewal this time so I don't have to pay for that mistake!

MorganGrayson
08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Please... I wish you hadn't even mentioned the cost of text..... They are beyound anything reasonable that is for sure!

It is good to know I am not the only old man trying to get some more formal education.

The first time I tried college I was 18 didn't really want to go to school anymore anyway. Then I entered the hall of the big school and one of the first things I saw was my first see through blouse..... there was a shift in my educational priorities! I learned a lot.... but flunked out of the University! Had to apply for academic renewal this time so I don't have to pay for that mistake!

My husband is attending the University of Phoenix, which is also where he works. Up to now, everything has been online. Their "library" is virtual. This is the first textbook he's had to buy...which is why he's losing his mind over the price.

His first attempt at college was when he was 18...and worked out pretty much the same way yours did. So...he joined the Navy instead.

weirdharold
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I went over the water also.... went to work in the oil field in the Gulf of Mexico.... got paid much better than the Navy and might have seen as much of the world over time as he did by joining the navy.

sarettah
08-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Words of advice from someone who's been there, done that.......

(went back to school and got my two degrees after 8 years in the military, so was an older student with 2 kids on my own trying to pull down a full time schedule)

1. NEVER DECLARE A MAJOR BEFORE YOUR JUNIOR YEAR.

As soon as you declare a major (even saying something like "Well, I thought I might like to get into computers" to a counselor is wrong) The counselors, administrators, et all will try to push what they envision as the proper courses to get you there.

2. NEVER LISTEN TO A COUNSELOR AS TO WHICH COURSES TO TAKE.

Grab copies of the degree requirements for yourself and work your own plan that way you can plan stuff out that you want (such as me pulling down the 2 degrees in the usual time of one). I looked at the various courses required for the several areas I was interested in and started taking courses that worked for all of them. I used my art courses as electives for my computer degree and vice versa. There were certain core requirements that counselors told me I had to take before everything else but when I checked, they weren't actually prerequisites for anything else, so many of them I delayed until the very end.

3. PLAN YOUR SCHEDULE AROUND WHAT INTERESTS YOU.

Ok, there are going to always be certain courses that are required but bore you to death. Schedule (at the max) one boring class per semester (and if it is available over the summer, take it then). This will allow you to keep your interest going.

4. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DROP A CLASS, FURTHER, IF THE PROF STARTS THE FIRST DAY WITH "IF YOU DO REALLY GOOD, YOU MIGHT EVEN GET A B" DROP IT THAT VERY MOMENT.

If you don't like a prof, or like I say, you get a Prof who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as an "A" grade. Drop the course, walk away clean.

Also, since you are an adult, if you get a prof who insists on treating you like one of the 18 year olds, drop the course and tell the Prof to go screw himself as you walk out the door.

These rules served me well and I pass them on without any obligation of any sort............. :okthumb:

MorganGrayson
08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I went over the water also.... went to work in the oil field in the Gulf of Mexico.... got paid much better than the Navy and might have seen as much of the world over time as he did by joining the navy.

My husband joined the navy in like 1968, to avoid the draft. He defended Corpus Christie, Texas from the North Vietnamese. It was the only part of the world he saw once he was out of basic. He was a musician, and his recruiter enthusiastically talked about the Navy band.

They made him an airplane mechanic.

He got a ribbon for enlisting during war time and a cute little plaque.

He also got a deep seated hatred for Corpus Christie that exists to this day.

I think he also got some kind of GI Bill loan on the first house he ever bought.

sarettah...the University of Phoenix is a university for working adults. One class at night for five weeks, plus one night each week (at least) for what's called "Learning Team Meetings." You pick your major or you don't get to play, then you're pretty much along for the ride. He has a "counselor," but asking one of the cats a question would be easier and probably get him a more intelligent response. On the upside, since he's worked for the UOP for 10 years, his tuition is free. (80% of mine would be knocked off, if they offered anything in which I'd want a degree...and wouldn't kill the members of my Learing Team on Day One. My husband has patience to a frightening degree.) He was forced to miss one class, so his grade was docked, and he's pissed about that. He'd have a perfect 4.0, instead of the like 3.95 or something he has. He wants to get his Masters, then supplement the income later in life teaching at UOP. Personally, I think he'll end up killing somebody and I'll have to spend my old age visiting him in prison.

weirdharold
08-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Words of advice from someone who's been there, done that.......

(went back to school and got my two degrees after 8 years in the military, so was an older student with 2 kids on my own trying to pull down a full time schedule)

1. NEVER DECLARE A MAJOR BEFORE YOUR JUNIOR YEAR.

As soon as you declare a major (even saying something like "Well, I thought I might like to get into computers" to a counselor is wrong) The counselors, administrators, et all will try to push what they envision as the proper courses to get you there.

2. NEVER LISTEN TO A COUNSELOR AS TO WHICH COURSES TO TAKE.

Grab copies of the degree requirements for yourself and work your own plan that way you can plan stuff out that you want (such as me pulling down the 2 degrees in the usual time of one). I looked at the various courses required for the several areas I was interested in and started taking courses that worked for all of them. I used my art courses as electives for my computer degree and vice versa. There were certain core requirements that counselors told me I had to take before everything else but when I checked, they weren't actually prerequisites for anything else, so many of them I delayed until the very end.

3. PLAN YOUR SCHEDULE AROUND WHAT INTERESTS YOU.

Ok, there are going to always be certain courses that are required but bore you to death. Schedule (at the max) one boring class per semester (and if it is available over the summer, take it then). This will allow you to keep your interest going.

4. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DROP A CLASS, FURTHER, IF THE PROF STARTS THE FIRST DAY WITH "IF YOU DO REALLY GOOD, YOU MIGHT EVEN GET A B" DROP IT THAT VERY MOMENT.

If you don't like a prof, or like I say, you get a Prof who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as an "A" grade. Drop the course, walk away clean.

Also, since you are an adult, if you get a prof who insists on treating you like one of the 18 year olds, drop the course and tell the Prof to go screw himself as you walk out the door.

These rules served me well and I pass them on without any obligation of any sort............. :okthumb:
sarettah, those guidelines aren't to bad, if I do say so myself. There are a couple I no longer have a chance to follow... like not declaring a major.... I walked in doing that, so I guess I have to live with it.

Although I kinda of bitch about the classes.. I have been able to schedule mostly to my interests considering all the crap that is required.... I have been eyeing a double major and working the required classes with that in mind...

Counselors advice has really been about as rare as hen's teeth, but I have been pretty lucky with the Proffessors... I have, so far, recieved nothing but the respect I feel I should be given.... and I wouldn't bet against me telling one to kiss my ass as I walked out the door if I didn't get the respect I feel I deserve. My Grades aren't too bad... I missed a 4.0 by 2 points on a biology finial... So I just have to live with my 3.857 for now, with the understanding I can never have that 4.0.... and that has really taken some of the pressure -- I was putting on myself -- Off.

Thanks for putting your point of view up for me, I really appreciate you taking the time... And I am still open for farther advise.