PDA

View Full Version : Vick/Serge - thinking about DC

Peaches
08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I need to get out of here for a weekend and go somewhere I can keep busy. I'm thinking of heading to DC and spending the weekend at the Smithsonian. Yes, I know there are other things to do there, but I also know I can be entertained there for a weekend ;)

What hotels/restaurants are close to there? Decent - no Motel 6's but I don't need a Ritz either. Upper middle class :)

I don't want to get a car - I'll just spend the weekend lost - so the closer to the Smithsonian the better.

Not sure when yet - just know I need a weekend away from the house that doesn't include business :)

Added - and what airport do you suggest? Or just go with the cheapest flights?

Nickatilynx
08-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been in adult too long ...

I read DC as "DP" and thought "Holy fuck , Peaches!!"

Vick
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Peaches if you can wait until September it will be much better, smaller crowds and less oppressively humid weather

Getting ready to run out now, will try to get back to you with more later

Just the Smithsonians (yes that is plural) and the monuments around the mall (not a shopping mall the national mall with the Lincoln Memorial at one end and the Washington Monument at the other and things in between) is more than enough to keep you busy for 2-3 days
Add in the Museum of Natural History and the some others and

Sorry I am not well versed in DC restaurants, lots of 4 star hotels

Vick
08-17-2005, 02:46 PM
p.s. no need for a car, driving in DC is a nightmare. The town in not laid out in any sensible fashion

Architecture is amazing in some places, beautiful buildings from 3 centuries all in the same block

Once you get away from the tourist areas (for a lack of a better term) DC is a VERY NASTY City. Probably one of the worst places I've ever seen

Peaches
08-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm actually thinking of Aug 24-28th. For obvious reasons I need to get my mind on other things then - is that close enough to Sept for the crowds to thin? I could easily head elsewhere then and go to DC later though.

I'm headed out in a couple of hours but any advice you have would be great - thanks!! :) Just a general idea of what area (street names, etc) would be good and I can find hotels in Orbitz :)

Peaches
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I've been in adult too long ...

I read DC as "DP" and thought "Holy fuck , Peaches!!"
That's ANOTHER thread I'll start later ;)

Peaches
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Something must be going on that weekend (besides everyone wanting to be in the same town as me....). A lot of the hotels are booked solid :( May have to plan something else that weekend and head to DC later in the year.

Vick
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Peaches
Can I suggest Boston?
Little cooler with a lot to do, good eating and shopping

Peaches
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Peaches
Can I suggest Boston?
Little cooler with a lot to do, good eating and shopping
I could do Boston - haven't been there in several years and enjoyed it when I was there. Might do somewhere I can drive to though and save my $$$ for the ticket to DC :)

Raven
08-18-2005, 11:06 AM
While the heat is definitely oppressive in D.C. in August....the prices for great hotels are very inexpensive and the concierge will tell you where to eat....also, they have that great tram thing, where you buy an all day pass and go wherever you want, get off, go see a sight, and then get back on....

When I lived in Philly, I used to go to D.C. all the time, summer notwithstanding. Good place to get absorbed, Peaches.

SykkBoy
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Boston is a great city...if you do DC, you might run into something worse than an adult webmaster: a politician...you'll have to shower for a week straight just to get the smell off you...

Peaches
08-18-2005, 01:04 PM
In Boston I would have to move from place to place. In DC, I can stay in one area and keep my mind entirely busy for the entire weekend. That's my goal - I don't want time to think about anything except whatever's in front of me :)

MorganGrayson
08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Peaches...have you considered San Diego? Sea World; the Zoo; the Wildlife park; Balboa Park and the museums; LA is a train ride away should you choose to zip up there, or a quickie flight; Tijuana is a tolley ride away. Lots to do. Oh, did I mention the beach thing? We have an ocean. It's famous. :)

Peaches
08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I love SD, but I really can't afford TWO plane trips and I want to hit DC before Dec.

I have a friend with a condo in Destin - may head that way just for good seafood. May go to Biloxi and gamble. But it will probably have to be driving distance for this trip :)

Good suggestion though!!

I bought that book 1000 Things to do Before You Die - I should probably get off my lazy ass and open it up - I bet it might have an idea or two ;)

Raven
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
And, I just don't think the heat in Washington will have much of an affect on you, Peaches. You DO live in Georgia, after all....:)

Nbritt
08-18-2005, 11:26 PM
The smithsonian was great when I was a kid used to live south of DC in Waldorf every year the school field trip was to the smithsonian. Of course that was about 30 years ago I hear it has changed some

Brian

pushpills
08-19-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm not vick or serge, but I'll give my tourist input.

The spy museum was fun and a lot less kid oriented than I thought it might be. My dad and brother didn't really want to go for that very reason, but they ended up enjoying it very much, and it's not far from the white house and the capitol.

http://www.spymuseum.org

Also, I would highly recommend getting in touch with a representative of Georgia about scheduling a tour of the capitol building, the sooner the better. They will have their interns give you a pretty in-depth tour for free and will give you some Georgia related info during the tour. You can still take a regular tour, same day without contacting anyone, though. Most of the interns are aspiring lawyers and such, very insightful.

As has been said before, no car is needed, it would probably slow you down. Their subway system is pretty modern (get the day pass).

And of course don't forget you are going to have your bags checked and go through a metal detector at every government building, so leave the steel-mesh underwear at the hotel.

Serge recommended an art museum that was unfortunately closed when I went (not sure if it was the national gallery of art or a smaller one, it was a while ago). I put in an email to my dads cousin about a casual outdoor 40th story restaurant we went to that overlooks the back of the whitehouse.

My biggest regret was not going around and taking more nighttime pictures of buildings and monuments. Hopefully something in here is helpful, we really didn't do too much out of the tourist norm.

Hope you enjoy the trip, I had a blast when I went. It's history class come alive, but with hilarious "F.B.I. Agent" t-shirts for sale.

Vick
08-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Pssss..... there is not one Smithsonian museum there are 15 museums and the National Zoo
http://www.si.edu/

Peaches
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Pssss..... there is not one Smithsonian museum there are 15 museums and the National Zoo
http://www.si.edu/
Yeah, but I'm only interested in 2 (possibly 3) of them - and I'll only have two days. Plus it sounds odd to refer to them as The Smithsonians :)

Vick
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, but I'm only interested in 2 (possibly 3) of them - and I'll only have two days. Plus it sounds odd to refer to them as The Smithsonians :)

he he he Sorry sweetheart, that wasn't posted for your benefit

Air and Space is pretty cool
http://www.nasm.si.edu/

as is Natural History
http://www.mnh.si.edu/

http://hirshhorn.si.edu/
is cool as well

There are some lesser seen things in DC to
There is a Einstein Monument across the street from the Lincoln memorial and sort of hidden back in trees and bushes
http://www.kittytours.org/thatman2/search.asp?subject=85

it' a 3.5 x lifesize copper bas relief, the ground around the monument is a star map

Vick
08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mstark/furby/Images/Gallery_Images/einstein.jpg