PDA

View Full Version : After "30 or 40 calls"?!?!?!?!?

MorganGrayson
08-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Radio Stations''Inmates' Scare Motorists

LAND O'LAKES, Florida (AP) - A radio station stunt that had three listeners dressed up like escaped jail inmates went awry Friday when dozens of people called police. The resulting ruckus tied up traffic during morning rush hour, authorities said.

The three people, shackled and dressed in what appeared to be jail uniforms, were competing to try to get motorists to give them a ride, Pasco County sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said. The first one back to the studios of Tampa station WXTB-FM - 98 Rock - would win a trip to Los Angeles in conjunction with a new Fox television show called "Prison Break."

But after 30 or 40 calls from "terrified" motorists and residents, sheriff's deputies responded in force and took them into custody for real, Doll said. They were released after about an hour.

"We took it quite seriously and responded with every available deputy we had in that area," Doll said.

No charges were filed, because the bogus inmates didn't forcefully try to get in any of the cars. But deputies still aren't happy about the stunt.

Doll said Florida law would have allowed motorists and deputies to shoot them if they were seen to pose a threat.

A message left with the radio station wasn't immediately returned Friday.

--I hate to think how many calls it takes for your average, every day crime before they "respond in force." I guess the resident of Florida are supposed to handle it themselves...with a gun. Geesh. :blink:

Newton
08-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Reasonable force is running them over and not saying sorry ;)

WickedTemptress
08-16-2005, 01:20 PM
That's crazy! I mean, I know it was just a joke or whatever... But, being a former security guard and having attended security officer training courses(which is taught by a police officer) I can tell you that what the officer said is VERY true...

If one of them scared one of those people to the point that they really felt their life would be threatened(and being dressed such as they were, probably did do just that for some people) these people could shoot and even kill these contest goers and be completely protected by the law.

Even more so... If any of them were "in character" and tried to threaten(even if not seriously) or laid so much as the tip of their finger lightly on their shoulder or person... They could be arrested for simple battery...

I'm all for fun and jokes, but, this really could have ended a whole lot worse than it did... People really need to think before they put together things like this.

EroticySteve
08-16-2005, 04:11 PM
You've got to love Pasco County.