PDA

View Full Version : I offer to take a "copious amount" off their hands....

MorganGrayson
08-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Taiwan Works to Reduce Ghost-Month Trash

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - Environmentally conscious Taipei authorities are taking a novel approach to this year's annual ghost month, when Taiwanese burn thick stacks of paper money to appease the spirits of the dead: they're providing small garbage bags to limit the amount of immolated cash.

To insure that wandering ghosts will not disturb the peace and prosperity of the living over the ensuring 12 months, many Chinese burn copious amounts of paper money and set up tables laden with food during the seventh month of the lunar year - ghost month.

But in recent years Taipei's authorities have become increasingly concerned that large stacks of immolated cash are adding to the city's already serious air pollution problems.

As a remedy, the Taipei City Government said on Friday it will distribute a bag for each household in which symbolic amounts of paper money can be placed.

"You can address the bag to wandering spirits in general or to specific dead persons of your choice," the government said in a statement, adding that municipal garbage trucks would dispose of the bags in high-powered incinerators. This year's ghost month observance began on Aug. 5 and will continue until Sept. 3. It is marked not only on Taiwan, but in Chinese societies throughout the world.

Newton
08-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Excellent .. ghosts are no longer eco terrorists ..

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I actually did that on my first visit there.......... they take it very seriously .

My can`t take it with you joke didnt go down very well lol

They put the real cash in a box inside the temple.

MorganGrayson
08-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Between Samheim and Day of the Dead, I'm very familiar with honoring the spirits of the departed, feasting, partying, etc., but this is the first time I've encountered the "cash" phenomenom. I realize it's probably more along the lines of the families making a personal sacrifice by burning the money (or donating it, or whatever happens to the real cash) but at first glance I thought "ghosts take bribes?"

My daughter got the molds and instructions and made absolutely gorgeous sugar skulls for Day of the Dead - a major biggie down here with the high Mexican population - and she ran into a problem or two attempting to explain it to "back easters." "You're doing...what? Isn't that morbidly depressing and gross?" Well, no, it isn't. It's joyful.

I love hearing about different cultures. :)