PDA

View Full Version : Building your own computer

TheEnforcer
08-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Any of the more techie types here know a good place to buy computer parts to build a computer? Got a friend who said they would build one for me if I bought the parts needed and I'm thinking about doing it rather than buying a new Dell.

Toby
08-12-2005, 02:21 PM
If price is the primary reason for building your own, buy the Dell. I've always built my own, but Dell's prices have dropped to where I can no longer buy the parts for what Dell is charging for a system delivered to your door.

Bhelliom
08-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Agreed. I used to build my own as well. Dell's prices just can't be beat. so I go to them now.

as for answering your question. Just about any computer shop should be able to sell whatever you need. I tended to go with the small local guys as I knew them fairly well and they always cut me good deals.

Dravyk
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Make sure you have plenty of keyboards, TE! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/hello2.gif

TheEnforcer
08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Hmmm.. I guess I might just go with another Dell then.. looking to get a computer so I can play Everquest 2 and/or World Of Warcraft as well as more memory for work.

TheEnforcer
08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Make sure you have plenty of keyboards, TE! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/hello2.gif

Hehehehe.....

Steady
08-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd stick to Dell...if not check this company out TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/)

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Make sure there are no windows in the room you build it........... you will be sorely tempted at times lol

Jace
08-13-2005, 01:11 AM
www.pricewatch.com

the only url you will ever need to know

Trev
08-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Make sure there are no windows in the room you build it........... you will be sorely tempted at times lol
Never a truer word spoken in jest :okthumb:

Inabon
08-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Geek alert here i go:

if you don't want to spend time building and have time to wait for shipment go with dell.

however if you want to build a kick ass system:

1 MSI or ASUS board that can run Hyper Threading and hold 1 gig ram. Built in LAN and sound. *if you are in to sound then fuck the built in
1 soundblaster audigy 4 pro
1 ATI X850 XT video card (dual monitor capable)
1 or 2 Flat Screens (go to your local store for these)
1 gigabit ethernet card (if you did not go for the built in one)
1 p4 2.8 or 3.0 HT proc (probably the most expensive part of your system)
ATX tower case can run from 45 to 150 if you want to get fancy
if you buy all in the same place they probably give you the keyboard and mouse
SATA drives 1 or 2 80 gig or 150 gig you can use raid 1 for redundancy or raid 0 just for bulk space.

probably spend around 1500 to 1800 for that whole setup and you have something dell can't give you. upgrades if you want to get better parts you just buy them with dell depending on the case and motherboard you are fucked.

:)

Bestat
08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
And of course when it breaks (and it will) you have to return it to Dell and deal without a comupter for a couple weeks. :)

Check out http://www.archcomputing.com for parts, great prices, fast shipping.

:)

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Hmmm.. thanks for the feedback folks. In regards to Dell, I love this computer I currently have. I've never had a problem with it at all. Just need a bit more memory andbetter graphics card for work and play. :>))

Peaches
08-13-2005, 12:41 PM
My desktop was built by a guy I was dating who owned a computer store. I like it because I could get what I wanted and not get any of the garbage I didn't need. It's about 3+ years old so I might replace it soon, but I'll probably get a Dell. Having a warranty is nice (though I had a "warranty" with the the desktop made for me, the terms were a little different than Dell's ;) ).

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 01:03 PM
My desktop was built by a guy I was dating who owned a computer store. I like it because I could get what I wanted and not get any of the garbage I didn't need. It's about 3+ years old so I might replace it soon, but I'll probably get a Dell. Having a warranty is nice (though I had a "warranty" with the the desktop made for me, the terms were a little different than Dell's ;) ).

Heheheh.. interesting terms to be sure.. LOL

Newton
08-13-2005, 01:43 PM
A friend of mine just bought one of those dell boxes for his sister and she is over the moon with it .. just had to find a monitor and peripherals on ebay and she was set. £500 I believe she paid in total .. I can't get over how cheap hardware is becoming now.

RyanLanane
08-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I agree, just built the system I am on now... Went to dell.com a week later and I could of got the same thing for about $75 less (granted I do have a sweet case, lol)

I think since they are buying in such bulk it makes it more reasonable to just buy from them as they have effectively cut out the price of dealing with the middle man and actually made it cheaper in many cases

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Ohhh.. came across http://www.compudirectpc.com/ going through http://www.pricewatch.com and as I could care less about getting a flat panel moniter (which admittedly is a nice free upgrade at Dell) I can custom build a pretty sweet system with nice specs for a reasonable price if I use my old CRT 19" moniter.

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Damn... price watch does have a shit load of stuff to really look over....

Can anyone speak as to the pros and cons of Intel vs Atholon processors?

Trev
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Damn... price watch does have a shit load of stuff to really look over....

Can anyone speak as to the pros and cons of Intel vs Atholon processors?
Athlon is better for gaming pure and simple :)

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Athlon is better for gaming pure and simple :)

Thanks Trev.

Trev
08-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks Trev.
If it just has to be Intel for you then I would say go for the Celron over the Pentium as that's the Intel gaming chip, and it kicking ass with wireless technology as well :)

TheEnforcer
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM
If it just has to be Intel for you then I would say go for the Celron over the Pentium as that's the Intel gaming chip, and it kicking ass with wireless technology as well :)

Thanks again. I'm in the looking around and research phase. I need more memory for work to be sure as this computer is down to about 10% of it's memory left. Another part of the reason for a new computer is rather than going to the bar on my free time I want to start playing Everquest 2 and/or World of Warcraft as that saves me money and it's fun. I don't play any of those super high end games that need those super computer graphics capability computers. Just more memory and a better graphics card to be able to play the aformentioned game(s) and easier working.