PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Do the LASIK thang' - HELP ME GOD

LeeNoga
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Ok, I go for consultation Aug 12th, and they are scheduling the surgery Aug 17th.

I decided at the Internext show it is time I peeled off the glasses...and man, this is kinda threatening in a way when I love to hide behind them.

Anyone have the LASIK thing or know people??

All my friends want me to do it, and fly the "baby blues"....

Welp?

Peaches
08-11-2005, 12:07 AM
KC, RichC, Persian Kitty and several non-internet friends of mine have had it done. All say it was the greatest thing they ever did :)

sarettah
08-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Jen (my wife) used to have to wear the old coke bottle glasses, ya know, legally blind and all that.

She had Lasik back in 99 and for the most part does not need glasses at all anymore. She uses a $5.00 pair of reading glasses from OSCO instaed of glasses that used to cost $500 or more a pop and used to have to be replaced evry year.

Go for the Lasik Lee... :okthumb:

XXXPhoto
08-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I was talking to someone who'd had it done and was telling me about it at the show--
Wish I could say for sure but all I'm remembering is twins in a wet pink tanktop...

Nickatilynx
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
My wife is thinking of getting it done , but she is a little nervous.

Please post your experiences , if you have a moment

RyanLanane
08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
I have two family members who have had it done;

Both said they were extremely happy although one had to go back in for a second surgery as something was slightly off.. She still doesn't regret it a bit though.. And said it was all WELL worth it.. made her feel like a new person

Forest
08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey Lee

was great to see you and your love at the show

you look Mavvvvaallloouuussss darling

;)

MorganGrayson
08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
My sister had it done. She said the first day after the surgery when she woke up, opened her eyes and could see clearly she nearly passed out from shock. All her life it had been the same thing: wake up to a blurry world, send a paw around until you find the glasses, put them on and wait for the world to come into focus. She thinks it's the greatest thing she's ever done and deeply regrets waiting so long.

The only "side effect" she had was a common one, she was told. The first few days she had "super vision," the ability to focus clearly on things very, very far away, before her vision settled down to 20/20.

Bhelliom
08-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I want super vision... the only thing better than that would be xray vision

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I want super vision... the only thing better than that would be xray visionLOL! Get out of my head, Bhelliom! :p

I know Brad Shaw and John IP both had it done. I remember asking John a few years later if he had any side effects or anything, and he didn't.

I want to do it as well, been thinking about it for years and keep putting it off. Jen would be the person that I've heard of who has had it the longest, six years, and if she's obviously still good with it, that sounds like a glowing recommendation to me.

Go for Lee! And hopefully I won't be too long behind ya. :)

Kacy
08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I had RK done way back in they day (96), before the laser was approved. So I have all those little slits in my eyes, crazy to think about!

I could see perfect right after and still can to do this day, best thing I ever did--well besides my boobs, lol :)

Go for it Lee!

DannyCox
08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I had it done back in '97 or '98 (when it was still close to $2000. per eye!). I had extremely bad eye site, with a severe astigmatism in my right eye. The surgery corrected everything. I did see "halo's" around lights at night for close to 6 months, which I was informed about prior. But that was just a very slight annoyance that I quickly got used to, and barely even noticed when it was finally gone.

The Ophthalmologist did tell me that due to my age, the procedure wouldn't be permanent, and that when my eye site started to go, it would go quickly. He was right! About a year ago, I noticed diminishing clearness, and I am at the point where I should get glasses, but being the procrastinator I am, I still haven't.

I'm at a point where I need to decide whether to do the procedure again, or just go back to glasses. I wore glasses since I was 13, and because of the astigmatism, I couldn't wear contact lenses until 1990, when they finally developed the technology to handle the astigmatism. I love the freedom of being "corrective lenses free", as I can see when I'm swimming, and don't have that annoying problem of glasses fogging up when I'm skiing or sailing. I also no longer needed a diving mask with a corrective lens (very, very expensive) for SCUBA diving.

squirtingcarly
08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I have been thinking about this for a long time, I have one bad eye and one eye that used to be 20/20 but is going bad b/c of the strain from picking up the slack. I am chicken though. I really hope it works for you and you come back with nothing but praises. :okthumb:

DannyCox
08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
It's actually a fairly quick and easy operation. It's just quite bizarre when you have your eye clamped open, and you are looking at things coming right at you! Kinda freaky! Carol even watched on a CCTV from the next room, and saw it all happen close-up and in detail.

One of the "side-effects" is that you still get caught up in your habits for the first while. It took me close to 6 months to stop reaching for my glasses when I first woke up. 25 years of doing that every day does take a while to defeat. You also still reach up to adjust your glasses, and at first, have a little shock when you don't feel anything there. Habits do die hard....

It's been 7 or 8 years for me, and I really would recommend it. Especially to the younger ones in this group. There is a real sense of freedom that comes with not being chained to corrective lenses.

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Danny, gotta ask since you mentioned age. How old were you when you had it done, if you don't mind telling?

DannyCox
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Not at all. I was either 37 or 38 (or as the doctor pointed out...approaching middle age). I'm 45 now, and as I said, I am considering having it done again. At least it's a lot cheaper now!

I need to ask Carol when I had it done. I can't remember if it was before or after our last son was born, and he just turned 8.

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Hmm. I'm 45 too. If they said your eyes were "old" then, I'm in trouble. Then again, you had the earlier version like Sabby had. Difficult to tell. Appreciate the info, Danny. As you said about swimming, would love to be able to do that and see everything. Especially a shark heading my way. hehe

XXXPhoto
08-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Not at all. I was either 37 or 38 (or as the doctor pointed out...approaching middle age). I'm 45 now, and as I said, I am considering having it done again. At least it's a lot cheaper now!

I need to ask Carol when I had it done. I can't remember if it was before or after our last son was born, and he just turned 8.

Think of it another way Danny... Did you have it done before the first Orlando show or after... ;-)

zmaster
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Lee!

It was great to see you at the show...remind me to send the pics from last time we were all together...

...about the Lasik thing...A friend had it done a few years back and they told her not to read anything or use her eyes right after...being the work-a-holic sahe was she went home and read through contracts...she had headaches, and did minor damage that was corrected by wearing a patch for 3 weeks...

...so listen to the doctors when they tell you not to use your eyes too much after.

Kisses,
Shannon

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Wow, Shannon! Long time! Feels like the early days around this thread! :)

Good to hear about the workaholic tip. I'd be one to throw myself right into things as well.

EroticySteve
08-11-2005, 02:30 PM
While the risks are slim, they can be severe. Kathy Griffin, Comedian and actress had major complications from this surgery. I'm not sure it's worth the risk just yet.

Nickatilynx
08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
While the risks are slim, they can be severe. Kathy Griffin, Comedian and actress had major complications from this surgery. I'm not sure it's worth the risk just yet.

After reading the above Steve , I went and checked iot out...

http://www.kathygriffin.net/lasik.php

zmaster
08-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Wow, Shannon! Long time! Feels like the early days around this thread! :)

Good to hear about the workaholic tip. I'd be one to throw myself right into things as well.

Hey SEXY! I've always been here...I'm usually stalking...

Shannon

EroticySteve
08-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Yep and seeing that and hearing about less severe but just as serious complications will keep me out from under the laser for some time to come.

Trev
08-11-2005, 03:18 PM
After reading the above Steve , I went and checked iot out...

http://www.kathygriffin.net/lasik.php
That alone would put me off the procedure. Even with all the success stories.

Oh, and welcome Shannon. I’m glad you’ve started posting and stopped lurking :waving:

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
That alone would put me off the procedure. Even with all the success stories.Eh, what do you expect from a Puss? :hmm:

Trev
08-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Eh, what do you expect from a Puss? :hmm:
In boots ;)

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
In boots http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/wink.gifHey you can be a Puss in Thong for all I care! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Trev
08-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey you can be a Puss in Thong for all I care! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Ok being in my head is one thing, but you've got to be in my house to know that :blink:

Dravyk
08-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok being in my head is one thing, but you've got to be in my house to know that http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gifToni didn't tell you about your live cam paysite yet, huh? http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/unsure.gif

Trev
08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Toni didn't tell you about your live cam paysite yet, huh? http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/unsure.gif
I was wondering why I keep getting new sex toys every week :unsure:

DannyCox
08-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Think of it another way Danny... Did you have it done before the first Orlando show or after... ;-)

Yes, it was before the first Orlando show, so that would make it 8 years.

As for Kathy Griffin, that was a really rare case, and she had had multiple operations in a short period of time. The risks really are minimal, but like anything in life, you have to weigh those risks, and decide for yourself.

I took the chance when Lasik was in it's early stages, and now I have to decide whether or not to do it again. I probably will, mainly because of the freedom it gives me while sailing.

Other than swimming and diving, I really noticed the pleasure of no glasses when I was sailing in a tropical depression in the Windwards, off the coast of St. Vincent back in 2000. We were beating into 40 knot winds, with 20 foot swells, and all I could think of was "I can see!". Before that, I had to deal with sea spray all over my glasses.

Sabby
08-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Hmm. I'm 45 too. If they said your eyes were "old" then, I'm in trouble. Then again, you had the earlier version like Sabby had. Difficult to tell. Appreciate the info, Danny. As you said about swimming, would love to be able to do that and see everything. Especially a shark heading my way. hehe

Like Kacy did... lol I think the boob reference confused you, LOL.

I havent had my eyes done yet. I always wear contact lenses, I rarely wear my glasses.

Its on my to do list of surgeries :)

Sabby:)

Sabby
08-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I think having all my teeth capped was the best thing I did so far.

I have a perfect bright movie star smile now. I think I get more compliments on that than my boobs actually.

Sabby
08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
The hair extentions are really great as well, although thats not a "medical" procedure.

Sabby
08-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I also want to get my pubes lasered one of these days too.

Trev
08-12-2005, 02:05 AM

I've found my dream job, less messy than being a gyno - but I'd still get to see the sweet spot :D

LeeNoga
08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Welp, the eye tests including an MRI test of the eye lasted about 2 hours at the institute. The cost for me is 6K due to the nearsightness, astigmatism, and myopia. My vision was 5/400 which means what a normal vison person can see at 400 feet, I cannot see unless I am 5 feet from it.

Hence, the high cost for correction.

Nevertheless, I am doing it on Aug 17th!

Your input was very soothing, and there are risks and weird things the first day or so that happen [starbursts etc.]....

They give you valium for the 10 min procedure, and then send you home with a sleeping pill because they want you to sleep 4-6 hours right afterwards and ya wear eye shields while sleeping for 4 days.

I mean having got to hug my Peaches, and she is so freaking adorable and gorgeous, I decided I had to ditch the glasses :-))

It was either do the LASIK thing or go to Plastics and get a laser resurfacing done and some minor face work....what a decision too have to choose between.

It really bothers me that I am 48 nearly 49....and I just refuse to let anyone clock my age...LOL....

I will let you all know what the LASIK is like, the 2nd day because the first day they say your looking thru vaseline once they finish...

I am getting the "monvision" done where one eye is for distance and one eye is for reading, and I have a chance I will not need any glasses afterwards.

They give you a LASIK life time warranty for adjustments, and it takes 3-6 months for the vision to settle down into what it is....some days you see better than others and flip flops around for several months.

Some friends had the radial keratotomy 10 years ago, and are in readers now but they have scars and can never have the high def laser LASIK now.

The biggest difference now is the cornea flap heals and no Doc can tell you had LASIK cuz there are no scars now :-) Old days they did flap manually, and now laser makes it perfect but they are still happy as hell with result.

They said LASIK will not give you 20/20 necessarily, it will give you the result corrective lenses gave you.

I am legally blind without my glasses, and what a shock that was to hear that yesterday..

LeeNoga
08-12-2005, 09:13 AM

LOL..welp, if you wait long enough [age gracefully], they will fall out and save you alot of money! *wink*

All kidding a side, I am smooth, and would not want it any other way!

LeeNoga
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Forest and Doug from Zmaster and all the folks attending Internext...

Everyone looked great, and Doug I would love to see those pics!

I dunno, how many more shows I will go to, but I am so glad I went to this one and let the Mrs. play with the webmasters.....LOL....she had a blast!

She thinks this business rocks, and really got an education in Lauderadale...LOL.

Vick
08-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Bravo Lee
Beat of luck to you!

Peaches
08-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Good luck Lee! It was great seeing you too - glasses or no glasses ;)

Dravyk
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I am getting the "monvision" done where one eye is for distance and one eye is for reading, and I have a chance I will not need any glasses afterwards.Lee, I heard about that when I looked (no pun) into it a couple years ago. The one sales rep at the eyelens center had that done, and explained how that worked. Even though it made sense (sorta) it just seems so weird.

For instance what if you're driving a car, and a spec of something, an eyelash, whatever gets temporarily into your "long distance" eye, couldn't keep driving with the "short distance" eye with the monvision. Anyway that would be my personal fear.

Good luck with the procedure and do let us know how it goes! Just don't make that mistake and start reading and typing too soon after.

LeeNoga
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM
For instance what if you're driving a car, and a spec of something, an eyelash, whatever gets temporarily into your "long distance" eye, couldn't keep driving with the "short distance" eye with the monvision. Anyway that would be my personal fear..

Good question, but I know people who without Lasik have naturally born monovision, one eye for distance and one for reading....and I asked them what happens if the good eye gets wrecked for the moment.

Their response was, if the eye gets irritated it tears and the other eye gets sympathy tears and is distracted by the drama in the other eye, so the incapacititation would be the same whether LASIK or born that way...

I could have had both eyes done for distance, but then I would need readers, it is a choice you can make tho before surg.

But, to get the monovision it does kinda take away from the distance vision, and is really only a compromise to get a tolerant best of both worlds.

They tricked me in a test, and did something with the lenses I was viewing thru and had me read something up close and at distance..and it was perfectly clear, and then told me that is what monovision gives you.

Most folks over 45+ opt for the monovision according to them.

My attitude is, I will welcome debris in my eyes every now and then for a lifetime of being able to see the clock in the morning without glasses..and be in the water and see those sharks of course....LOL.

Your correct to be hestitant Drav, LASIK is not for everyone...and unless your vision is wrecked beyond it should never be a vanity consideration.

In my case, I am blind without glasses and that alone is a handicap that out weighs any risks or nuisances for having done the LASIK...I have nothing really to lose....there is no life for me unless I have glasses on, and I spend way to much time on the water to be bothered by them :-))

LeeNoga
08-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh, speaking of water...

Did you all know that KK and Aly sail tournament? KK sails daily if I heard her correct, and they are competing in the Nationals.

Aly fell off the boat once and got her legs caught in the lines, er something like that and I am sure she got a quick lesson that sailing the course with speed out weighs the need to get her ass up off the deck in a hurry :-))

Congrats KK and Aly!

Nickatilynx
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
KK has always been popular with sailors :)

;-))

Bhelliom
08-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Wait ... you can do that?

Never had anything lasered... wonder how painful that would be on the nuts...

Trev
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Wait ... you can do that?

Are you hoping it is? - or that it isn't? :blink: :unsure:

Dravyk
08-12-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.hmss.com/films/laser.gif

DannyCox
08-12-2005, 01:53 PM

That looks just like the equipment they used on me!! :yowsa:

Bhelliom
08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Trev... isn't .... well ok maybe a little for the thrill...

Drav... that's exactly what i'm afraid of...

Kacy
08-12-2005, 02:10 PM
OK getting off topic with the laser hair removal, but I wanted to get that done and they told me my hair was too light and it wouldn't work. I found that interesting. I could get my pubes done probably because they are little darker, but not like my legs at all. Anyway just thought I would share that in case any of you blondies were interested ;)

Bhelliom
08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I'll have to look into it... Little leery about having a laser shot at my boys.... my eyes I can handle.... but not the part that brings me so much pleasure...

Nickatilynx
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM

I expect you to die , Mr Bond!!

Sharpie
08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
That was about the same price they quoted me ..... however, I have a few years on most of you. I didn't like the part of having to still wear reading glasses. (since I have bifogals now) I am near-sighted with a stigtism. I was all for it until the reading glasses thing. Just not blind enough to see the benefit, I guess. If they could have solved the reading thing, I would have had it done. As it is, I would still have glasses.