PDA

View Full Version : Scripts

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Where would you send somebody to start off learning about scripts.

Most people just buy them or "borrow" them lol and have no idea how to make/adapt them etc.

Wheres a sensible starting point if you wanted to learn and make your own?

sarettah
08-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Where would you send somebody to start off learning about scripts.

Most people just buy them or "borrow" them lol and have no idea how to make/adapt them etc.

Wheres a sensible starting point if you wanted to learn and make your own?

That depends.

If you have a programming background at all, then a logical thing to do is look at other folks programs to help learn a new language. If you don't have a programming background then you have to gather enough of a background so everything is not entirely greek to you.

So, tell me your background and I will tell you where (imho) to go from there :)

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Im a buyer or use free simple ones...........but i wouldn`t know where to start to modify one...

E.g ..page redirects..or a country filter script....dialer scripts also.

I hate having to change the whole script on multiple pages if i want to change diallers etc.....i assume the scriptwriter made it so that you cant just change the dialler url etc.

On ordinary links/text search and replace is fine....but its dodgy with scripts.

sarettah
08-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Im a buyer or use free simple ones...........but i wouldn`t know where to start to modify one...

E.g ..page redirects..or a country filter script....dialer scripts also.

I hate having to change the whole script on multiple pages if i want to change diallers etc.....i assume the scriptwriter made it so that you cant just change the dialler url etc.

On ordinary links/text search and replace is fine....but its dodgy with scripts.

It's hard to describe how to learn it. I've been doing this shit for 30 years so I just look through the code for certain things and then fiddle with them. But the 3o years has made it so I can read just about any code any kind of figure out my way through it.

Now, teaching how to code, that's a simpler one :) I know exactly where to start on that kind of shit. Once you have a couple of languages under the belt, it makes it easier to go in and start modifying stuff.

So, my way of reccomending how to do it would be to first learn some coding, some simple logic structures, a little bit of database and then you are equipped to go in and start playing with the code.

Now, if you are a good self starter, you could open up the script, pull up a language reference for whatever it's in and then just dissect the sucker. You do that to 2 or 3 scripts and you will probably have a much better idea of what you are looking at.

and just in case... Always make a copy of the script first :yowsa:

Top_Of_Google_Man
08-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Ok i will have a shot........ Thanks!!

sarettah
08-01-2005, 11:05 PM

That is probably not a good assumption. If the script was written with dialers in mind then the coder might have used variable names that would identify just those links that are outbound to dialers. Now, you might not recognize them just by looking, you kind of have to be in the mind of coder for that.

But typically, if I had links hardcoded into the script I might call them link1, link2, link3 etc... But I would probably more likely code sp_link1, sp_link2 (meaning sponsor link1 etc) and perhaps d_link1, d_link2 etc (meaning dialer link 1 etc) but if I'm lazt it might end up as dl1, dl2.... All depends on my mind set at the moment :)