PDA

View Full Version : Panerai watches - Who owns one?

Anthony
07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Giovanni Panerai (1825-1897), founder of the family business, opens the first watchmaker's shop in Florence in 1860 on the Ponte alle Grazie and establishes contact with the most prestigious and longest established Swiss watch manufacturers.

Giovanni is succeeded by his son, Leon Francesco.

More time line at http://panerai.com the official watch of the Italian Navy.

I got introduced to them about 7 or 8 months ago. Big watches, between 40mm to 47mm in circumference.

I've been contemplating purchasing a Panerai PN 25 for some time now, though trying to justify the price of 4 grand for it.

Anyone own one that can shed some light on the timepiece?

MorganGrayson
07-28-2005, 03:24 PM
It's a gorgeous watch, Anthony. :)

Mike AI
07-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Italians are not famous for their watches. Being the official watch of the Italian Navy is not a plus. How many ships do they have? The Italian Navy has not been the same since WWI.

If you are going to invest in a fine watch, get one that will be a classic for ever and can be passed down to your children.

Newton
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Its a good looking watch but the plate next to the watch where it winds puts me off. Almost like an after thought.

What have you got at the moment?

Anthony
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Italians are not famous for their watches. Being the official watch of the Italian Navy is not a plus. How many ships do they have? The Italian Navy has not been the same since WWI.

If you are going to invest in a fine watch, get one that will be a classic for ever and can be passed down to your children.

Ahh but Panerai's are the hottest watch right now, it's everywhere, Hollywood, Magazines, and you know I'm a trend follower. :)

Anthony
07-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Its a good looking watch but the plate next to the watch where it winds puts me off. Almost like an after thought.

What have you got at the moment?

I've got an Rolex DateJust, my first Rolex, and one I cherish as it's a gift. A Rolex GMT, and lately I've been sporting a Breitling Hercules.

The Panerai is just something that's caught my fancy, not something I need as I already have great watches.

Nickatilynx
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
After you mentioned them to me in one of our regular metrosexual convo I looked at them.

Nice watches , but not at that Money.

I always remember that pretty much the only watches a pawn shop will take are Rolex and Cartier.

Now we ,please R-n, would never have to consider it , but pawn shop owners reflect i guess true secondhand value.

The Brietling I gotta say is a nice watch though. :)

Anthony
07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
After you mentioned them to me in one of our regular metrosexual convo I looked at them.

Nice watches , but not at that Money.

I always remember that pretty much the only watches a pawn shop will take are Rolex and Cartier.

Now we ,please R-n, would never have to consider it , but pawn shop owners reflect i guess true secondhand value.

The Brietling I gotta say is a nice watch though. :)

You hit it dead on why I haven't taken the plunge.

Sure, it's a hot watch right now, but will it stay that way?

They are moving like crazy on ebay.