PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the new look of Oprano.

Mike AI
07-25-2005, 04:16 PM
After a few days of letting it sink in, and trying the functionlity I have some opinions.

Possitive: The header is unique, and conveys The Family there.

Negatives: Software stinks. Poor functionality I am not sure if some functions are turned off or what. WineTalk and TampaBusiness.com are both on same software but much easier to use. It is not easy to navigate the board at all. This is my biggest complaint.

Colors: I am not wild about colors, it could be just because I am used to the old colors, but to me its more difficult to read. I wonder if the font is playing a role in this as well.

Where are the smilies and other graphics? They were fun and added to the board.

Over all I give it a D+

I hope Stan did not charge to much for the design. I think Todd or Sharky would have done a better job.

Lee
07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I hope Stan did not charge to much for the design. I think Todd or Sharky would have done a better job.

Thats what i said too LOL

Bhelliom
07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
well I belive two of those can be taken care of... The colors were just changed, which was one of my complaints as well. The smilies are there you just have to enable them yourself.

I'm starting to get the hang of it now

Mike AI
07-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Ahh there are smilies!! :thumbup:

But we are missing the Pearl and the burn!!

Evil Chris
07-25-2005, 04:31 PM
the new VB software is good in that it can be laid out almost any way you want it to.
Possibly there's just some tweaking to do.

Why set it to 100% of the available screen? It feels too big.

I'm not too crazy about the header. A bit pretentious but whatever. :)

B- from me.

MorganGrayson
07-25-2005, 04:34 PM

The Pearl is there, Mike. :)
I'll go collect a couple that people have mentioned missing. :bwave:

Trev
07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

They are in there Mike :-pearl: :burn:

Plus another of my favs:

:kneel:

Dravyk
07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
First, I overall like it!

But there needs to be a lot of tweeks, IMHO. So let me keep this positive and constructive.

- Right now some links that say "Message Board" go the Main Board, others go to the Forums Index. That needs to be made consistant as it adds to the confusion. One solution is to call the main board the "MAIN BOARD" and not the "Message Board"

- There is a possible leak where "rupert" is showing; might want to take care of that

- There's an anomaly where Lee is the only person in his own "group" as well

- A lot of the old things that were turned off need to get a programmer into the code and turn them on as the norm (the avatars, the enhanced posting, the sigs, etc.) At least I would make that a priority because the standards that are turned off might send people away.

- The header to each thread is missing at the top left of each thread. It shows in the title, but nowhere else. This adds to the confusion greatly.

- Overall site nav needs to be fixed majorly. I would also add the forum jump to the top right as well as the bottom right.

Hope this is all taken in the well-meaning spirit it has been offered. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif

... If it hasn't, then GFY!!! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/smile.gif

Lee
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
There's an anomaly where Lee is the only person in his own "group" as well

Thats not an anomaly, thats because im 'special' thats what mom says anyway LOL

Lee
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
- Right now some links that say "Message Board" go the Main Board, others go to the Forums Index. That needs to be made consistant as it adds to the confusion. One solution is to call the main board the "MAIN BOARD" and not the "Message Board"

Thats a template issue i beleive, whoever messed around with them caused all sorts of minor problems which are easily fixed :)

- There is a possible leak where "rupert" is showing; might want to take care of that

That can be turned off in the admin area, imho, the usergroups dont need to be displayed again, it seems like some of the settings were changed when the template system was being 'played' with.

- A lot of the old things that were turned off need to get a programmer into the code and turn them on as the norm (the avatars, the enhanced posting, the sigs, etc.) At least I would make that a priority because the standards that are turned off might send people away.

No need to hire a programmer, most of the stuff can be sorted out in the admin area of VB the problem is knowing where to look for the if you havent used VB before, the teplate system isnt the easiest to work with as even the viewthread.php page has about 10 individual templates to cage to make it work properly. The avatar problem, pople viewing them by default, is another template problem with the 'legacy' setting.

- The header to each thread is missing at the top left of each thread. It shows in the title, but nowhere else. This adds to the confusion greatly.

Again, a template issue. Thats easy to fix.

- Overall site nav needs to be fixed majorly. I would also add the forum jump to the top right as well as the bottom right.

Yep you guessed it, another template issue, the option is probably not turned on for this right now.

Nickatilynx
07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree on the colours...a bit sickly...

however the team are fixing it as they go ( they valued there nuts :) )

and every time i log back in there are more and more features :)

Mike AI
07-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree on the colours...a bit sickly...

however the team are fixing it as they go ( they valued there nuts :) )

and every time i log back in there are more and more features :)

Keep plugging away. Oprano has always been a work in progress.

gonzo
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Im glad I didnt study for the test!
Thats the first time in my entire life Ive ever been called pretentious.

Newton
07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Mikes post was in regard to this board as a brilliant white board with red buttons.. That was a few hours ago and has changed dramatically since then, and should be completed by tomorrow ;)

Lee
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Newton..

If its any help to you, i have the original VB2 button graphics on our server if you want them, they are somewhat 'cleaner' looking than the VB3 ones, your choice mate :)

Bama
07-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Firefox (using 1.06) doesn't work very well on the board and I'm not wild about having to click on a button just to post a reply (when the reply box is already there)

I think the header is too tall

Newton
07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Bama what problems are you getting in firefox? I am using 1.06 and it is working fine for me.

Quick Reply box sorted

Newton
07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Newton..

If its any help to you, i have the original VB2 button graphics on our server if you want them, they are somewhat 'cleaner' looking than the VB3 ones, your choice mate :)

Will take a butchers at the others, thanks man.

Evil Chris
07-26-2005, 10:10 AM
These are nice changes in here this morning.

Great work guys!

Peaches
07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I like it when the threads were closer together. I'm a picky bitch ;)

Mike AI
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Changes are nice. Buttons are still wierd for me. The Edit and Quick Reply are the boxed red ones, but the Quote is the blue one from the old design. ( I personally like the older ones - or buttons that don't take attention away from the posts)

Newton
07-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys, we are pulling out things as we go.

TheEnforcer
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Thats the first time in my entire life Ive ever been called pretentious.

:lol: :lol:

Evil Chris
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Thats the first time in my entire life Ive ever been called pretentious.Hmm, ok yeah. Bashful and unassuming.. yeah that's more like you Gonzo. :D LOL

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
pretentious?

moi?

;-))

Sharpie
07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I like the colors today better than before. The alternating light blue & white before - made it hard to distinguish between threads...... I am pleased today - it is easy on the eyes.

MorganGrayson
07-26-2005, 01:06 PM
pretentious?

moi?

;-))

Hi! This is me, over here, not saying a damned word!! (Wanted to point that out lest you think I missed the post.) :nyanya:

Newton
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I like the colors today better than before. The alternating light blue & white before - made it hard to distinguish between threads...... I am pleased today - it is easy on the eyes.

Thanks Sharpie this is a lot easier on the eyes

MorganGrayson
07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
On to serious matters....

In "reality" I wear trifocals, which is about as much fun as it sounds. To work on the computer, I have computer glasses, which means I can see clearly anything that is exactly 25 inches away from the bridge of my nose. (I have to write notes while leaning back and stretching my arm out. Otherwise I can't read what I'm writing.)

All that was said in preface to my comment on how easy this template is on my eyes. The muted colors are gentle and easy to read. I really, really like this design. I'm also very happy with the new navigation. The old one was driving me nuts. It was like trying to go from the living room to the kitchen by having to walk outside the house first.

I'm sure the Super Guys will get to the buttons when they can. :okthumb: :okthumb: :okthumb:

Trev
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks Sharpie this ia a lot easier on the eyes
I only put these colors in as a temp while I was out today :unsure:

I'd like to know what more of you think please :idontknow

Newton
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
I only put these colors in as a temp while I was out today :unsure:

I'd like to know what more of you think please :idontknow

Its a cracking one mate and why you should consider design ;)

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I've always thought Trev was a tard "arty" :)

Lee
07-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I've always thought Trev was a tard "arty" :)

Read as 'gay' LOL

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Read as 'gay' LOL
An artistic bent.

"bent" being the operative word ;-)))

gonzo
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
homos

leedsfan
07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
i think it looks kind of funky. in a good way.

Newton
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
homos

Gonzo .. which words trigger your board tracker? :p

Newton
07-26-2005, 06:00 PM
i think it looks kind of funky. in a good way.

Thanks man ;)

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
You guys act like Fucking newbies....

I think netpond's layout looks really good.

http://www.netpond.com (http://www.netpond.com/)

So just surf over there and nick it!!!

thats what we veterans have ALWAYS done. See a good idea , and nick it :)

This is the adult web for fuck's sake , if someone has a good design , nick...change it a bit , call it your own.

:)

kids today...

Trev
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
You guys act like Fucking newbies....

I think netpond's layout looks really good.

http://www.netpond.com (http://www.netpond.com/)

So just surf over there and nick it!!!

thats what we veterans have ALWAYS done. See a good idea , and nick it :)

This is the adult web for fuck's sake , if someone has a good design , nick...change it a bit , call it your own.

kids today...

I've already started, but my site ripper done packed up half way through, so I'm at it by hand now ;)

gonzo
07-26-2005, 07:07 PM

I dont use boardtracker Newton. I found it to be useless and a total waste of time. Im old fashioned in the sense that I just go visiting.

Besides ... who needs a boardtracker when you have Oprano? 87 people are vistiting right now as I post this response. As Nick said people may be scared to post here but they sure as fuck are addicted to reading it as much as we are in participating in it.

CJ said it best. "Oprano is the one board to rule them all."

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I like BT.

and xxxmanager I've always found to be very helpful.

But then I don't go out of my way to offend absolutely everyone.

Just a select few.

;-)))

Nickatilynx
07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I've already started, but my site ripper done packed up half way through, so I'm at it by hand now ;)

Excellent...

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just thought...

I'd love to do it for a day just to imagine the look on Meat and Aga's face

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

http://www.netpond.com/showthread.php?t=62126&page=2

Trev
07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I like BT.

Just a select few.

;-)))
For some Board Tracker and Board Scanner can be very helpfull tools :)

Not everyone has time to surf all the boards.

gonzo
07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I like BT.

Just a select few.

;-)))

I think xxxmanager is a good guy as well. Boardtracker is just a waste of time for me. I think everyone will agree he's built himself a nice business integrating with the boards.

I promise I wasnt trying to be offensive. I just dont have a use for Boardtracker. Then again...Id say the same thing about Excel.

Trev
07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Excellent...

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just thought...

I'd love to do it for a day just to imagine the look on Meat and Aga's face

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

http://www.netpond.com/showthread.php?t=62126&page=2

I was going to see if we could get meat@oprano.com and aga@oprano.com emails setup as well ;)

Newton
07-26-2005, 07:30 PM
I have Board Scanner Plus delivering mail each day and i love it ;) I tried signing up for boardtracker and it wouldn't send me mails ..

Dravyk
07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Appreciate the good words about Boards Scanner, guys!!! http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/ok.gif

87 people are vistiting right now as I post this response. Oh, shit, sorry about that, Gonz! ... I had 83 browsers open. http://oprano.com/msgboard/images/smilies/blink.gif

JoesHO
07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Looks great , good job guys

sarettah
07-27-2005, 09:19 AM

He has it loaded with all varieties of Donuts...

Unfortunately "I Love Donuts" fires it off just as often as "I love to Do Nuts"

:blink:

Billy
07-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I like the look : )

HAHA 50 post : )

Bhelliom
07-28-2005, 01:09 PM
oooohhhhhh.... new flash front end looks really good

Trev
07-28-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm glad you like it :D

Newton
07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
The flash intro is very cool and that is thanks to www.bluewiredesign.com ;)