PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Question

mojobill
07-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I've been looking at hosting options, and have a question....

Why do all dedicated server options offer tons of BW, but limit the number of IP's they offer?

What I have in mind would use little bw, but would require 50+ ip's..... it's wierd.. not everyone uses tons of bw guys! LOL

DrGuile
07-21-2005, 10:56 AM
These days, bandwith is cheaper than IPs...

gonzo
07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Cuz IP addresses get listed on the blackhole list...

sagomatt
07-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Bandwidth has certainly decreased in pricing through the years, especially when buying in 1Gbps + commits, overall spread out amongst all the servers, its price quickly depletes. IP's on the other hand, are something you can't just go out an buy. You have to request them from ARIN, who then requires justification of usage before they'll give you more. They require 80% utilization, based on their rules of justification (SSL / nameservers) and require name-based hosting where applicable. If they feel your IP's have been misused they could deny you further IP's, or go as far as to pull your existing IP's unless you renumber and allocate in their methods of justification. Any DC can just call up their sales rep and buy more BW, but we can't just call up ARIN and buy more IP's.

Thanks,

Steady
07-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jul 21 2005, 06:52 AM

Why do all dedicated server options offer tons of BW, but limit the number of IP's they offer?

What I have in mind would use little bw, but would require 50+ ip's..... it's wierd.. not everyone uses tons of bw guys! LOL

As information...

Our smallest dedicated plan that offers: 1Mbps (316GB) Transfer,
comes with 3 IP addresses. You can purchase additional IP addresses
for an additional cost. I'm certain other hosting companies can offer the same.

https://www.elitehosters.com/dedicated_orde...dicatedPlanID=9 (https://www.elitehosters.com/dedicated_order.php?dedicatedPlanID=9)

TheEnforcer
07-21-2005, 11:42 AM
fatbaby,

If you're looking for a host I suggest you look no further than Steady and Elitehosters! Steady gives awesome customer service and his packages are very nice. I highly recommend you check him out and give him a shout.

mojobill
07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks Matt and Steady... I'll certainly keep that in mind...

I'm not looking to replace my current hosting, rather adding another dedicated to spread things out some ;-)

Steady
07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jul 21 2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks Matt and Steady... I'll certainly keep that in mind...

I'm not looking to replace my current hosting, rather adding another dedicated to spread things out some ;-)

My pleasure...Best of Luck! :)

sarettah
07-21-2005, 01:06 PM
When hosting anything, the host should always have themselves served after all their guests are served..................

:blink:

Dravyk
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Jul 21 2005, 12:07 PM
When hosting anything, the host should always have themselves served after all their guests are served..................
Thank you, Miss Manners. :unsure:

Nickatilynx
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I smell a new poster spamming hosting...very soon...

gonzo
07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jul 21 2005, 12:58 PM
See bottom of the page?

Inabon
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jul 21 2005, 12:58 PM
:blink:

:) and yes ips nowadays are very precious.

Nickatilynx
07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jul 21 2005, 06:52 AM

So what do you need all those IPs for...huh ?

;-))

Inabon
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Jul 21 2005, 02:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Jul 21 2005, 02:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fatbaby@Jul 21 2005, 06:52 AM

So what do you need all those IPs for...huh ?

;-)) [/b][/quote]
erm let me guess

Search engines?

i think they are already picking up on that LOL

mojobill
08-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Steady... can you drop me an email please? I need some clarification on your hosting costs, so that I can make a decision. ;-)

fatbill at comcast.net

grimm
08-08-2005, 01:37 PM

bandwidth is cheap, IPs have a limit. unless you are spamming, you could virtual host anything else.