PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Toronto

Bhelliom
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
This heat must be frying brains at Toronto City Hall.

How else to explain the banning of Miss Universe from Nathan Phillips Square?

Yes, you read that right.

Natalie Glebova, 23, Toronto's own queen of the world, was to star at the Tastes of Thailand festival on the weekend.

The Thais are very big on Natalie.

She won the Miss Universe title in Bangkok seven weeks ago. Thailand made her an honorary ambassador.

Beauty pageants may have waned here. But Miss Universe is mobbed on many streets of the world.

And she is from Jarvis and Carlton, for crying out loud.

What a golden promo op for City Hall.

The Thais are into it. They have a press conference last week to announce Miss Universe will open the festival on the square. They put out a release.

BUREAUCRATS CAN READ

They forget some bureaucrats can read.

Prayoth Benyasut, deputy director of the Thai Trade Centre, gets a call from City Hall's special events office.

Check the rules of the square, supervisor Marguerite Reid tells him.

So, he does.

No hard liquor. Check.

No monkeys or venomous reptiles. Check.

No candles. Check.

No elephants. Well, it's Thailand, but...check.

No loose helium balloons. Check.

Then: "Activities which degrade men or women through sexual stereotyping, or exploit the bodies of men, women, boys or girls solely for the purpose of attracting attention, are not permitted on Nathan Phillips Square."

There, says Ms. Reid. Miss Universa non grata.

She can come. But no sash, no tiara.

Do not introduce her as Miss Universe or even as a beauty queen.

The bylaw says you must call her "an individual of note contributing to our community."

Lovely. Here she is... Miss Individual Of Note Contributing To Our Community.

Not surprisingly, Natalie and the Thais took a pass.

"It is quite weird," Benyasut says of City Hall's snub.

"She is beautiful and talented and smart. She is nothing to be shy about."

He says there were hints the fest might have trouble with future permits if the Thais did not toe the line this time.

"I felt uncomfortable," the envoy says, then turns diplomatic. "We don't know the concept or the reason behind this, but we have to respect the laws and regulations of your country."

Well, this bylaw is a ass.

"It was like a knife in the heart," Natalie tells me, midway through a fashion mag shoot.

"I'm travelling the world. I'm an ambassador for Toronto. I'm promoting Toronto. I love Toronto dearly.

"It seemed so silly. Everywhere else, I get great reaction from political leaders. But my hometown?"

Montreal's politicians, for instance, welcomed her. The mayor of her birthplace on the Black Sea in Russia has sent invites. City halls everywhere roll out the carpet.

Tastes of Thailand raised funds for tsunami relief. It also marked 60 years in the reign of King Bhu.

IT SEEMED PERFECT

"It seemed a perfect fit," Miss Universe Organization president Paula Shugart tells me from New York.

"She has a strong connection to Thailand. This was an insult not only to Natalie, but to the Thais.

"I have never been in a situation where someone has gone out of their way to un-invite a Miss Universe title-holder."

Ms. Reid does not wish to discuss this with me. Nor does the other bureaucrat she passed me to. But soon I hear from media relations guy Brad Ross.

Brad, this is the dumbest thing I've seen all month.

"What I can say, officially, is as long as this bylaw is on the books, it's enforced.

"Maybe someone was following the letter of the law and people can't be faulted for that. What needs to happen is that council would have to amend that bylaw."

And say sorry to Miss Universe and the Thais, if you ask me.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/07...138266-sun.html (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/07/19/1138266-sun.html)

stupid city hall...

Who does that?

Nickatilynx
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
oh for fucks sake...

Bhelliom
07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jul 19 2005, 11:07 AM
oh for fucks sake...
Where's that picture of the boot... need that for city hall

DrGuile
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree on the whole, but just a note, she's not smart.... she's as dumb as she's pretty...

Nickatilynx
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Jul 19 2005, 11:11 AM
I agree on the whole, but just a note, she's not smart.... she's as dumb as she's pretty...
So?

gonzo
07-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Isnt this the same city that was celebrating Gay Pride week with Nick?

Bhelliom
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
One and the same...

Nickatilynx
07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Jul 19 2005, 11:20 AM
Isnt this the same city that was celebrating Gay Pride week with Nick?
See what i mean...

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?a...=40#entry243801 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=19443&st=40#entry243801)

Its kinda weird....

I think you guys have some closeted repressed HOMO tendancies

MorganGrayson
07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
"Then: "Activities which degrade men or women through sexual stereotyping, or exploit the bodies of men, women, boys or girls solely for the purpose of attracting attention, are not permitted on Nathan Phillips Square."

At the risk of being labeled "literate"...they are not *hosting* the Miss Universe Pageant on the square. They are not having an activity that degrades anyone or exploiting the bodies, etc., etc. The Pageant itself is long over with. I find it impossible to see how the presence of this woman in full tiara mode violates that regulation.

Althought, it is nice to see that other governments are capable of offending an entire nation besides ours.

Elli
07-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Oh for heaven's sake! Can't we just be patriotic about it and say 'rah rah, we won Miss Universe'? Sheesh! Dress her in Leafs gear or something...

Nickatilynx
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Toronto mayor says 'sorry' to Miss Universe
Last Updated Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:24:16 EDT
CBC News
Toronto Mayor David Miller has issued an apology to Miss Universe after the city barred her from opening a festival on municipal property over concerns about sexual stereotyping.

"It's unfortunate and silly," said Miller. "It won't happen again."

Natalie Glebova was set to open a festival last weekend at Nathan Phillips Square in front of City Hall, but municipal officials told organizers that the recently crowned Torontonian couldn't perform that duty if she wore her sash or her tiara, or if she was introduced by her title.

They said beauty pageants and beauty queens were banned from the square by a bylaw that prohibits activities deemed to be degrading to men or women through sexual stereotyping.

Miller said it was all a mistake and an overreaction on someone's part.

"[It's] certainly not the way I read the bylaw," he said. "I don't think it's appropriate. She should have been allowed to come to City Hall."

Former Toronto mayor June Rowlands cited the same bylaw years ago while refusing to let the Barenaked Ladies play at the square in front of City Hall because of the pop-rock group's name.

"I was a little bit hurt by the whole thing. I love Toronto. It's my hometown," said Natalie Glebova, the 23-year-old Canadian woman who captured the Miss Universe title in Bangkok in May.

"I definitely don't think that the Miss Universe title is any kind of stereotype or sexual stereotype."

According to a city bylaw, "activities which degrade men or women through sexual stereotyping, or exploit the bodies of men, women, boys or girls solely for the purpose of attracting attention," are not permitted at Nathan Phillips Square.

Glebova could still open the festival, organizers were told, but under strict conditions. She couldn't wear her sash or tiara, and couldn't be referred to as either Miss Universe or a beauty queen.

Instead, organizers were told, they could refer to her as "an individual of note contributing to our community."

A city spokesman said bureaucrats were only enforcing the rules, adding that council would have to amend the bylaw in order to change the policy.

Nickatilynx
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
A politician admitting an action is silly and saying it won't happen again.

Only in canada ladies and gentlemen..

:)

Evil Chris
07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Elli@Jul 20 2005, 03:23 PM
Oh for heaven's sake! Can't we just be patriotic about it and say 'rah rah, we won Miss Universe'? Sheesh! Dress her in Leafs gear or something...
haha... I like that idea. I even have a spare sweater she can wear.

Phoenix
07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
toronto is way too pc....fuckin tree huggers