PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations London

Inabon
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I just hope you guys don't put up a clapping event jajajaja

j/k

congrats i really think you kicked N.Y. ass.

Bhelliom
07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Better than france

Trev
07-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Once again the UK kicks French ass :lol:

Bhelliom
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Except apparently your food sucks

Trev
07-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bhelliom@Jul 6 2005, 03:57 PM
Except apparently your food sucks
If it was said by a Frenchman it's got to be envy :P

TheEnforcer
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Grats to londodn. Hmmm.. maybe I can go over there and watch the olympics and find me a hot brit babe with an accent!! :bdance:

Dravyk
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Many congrats, London!

Bhelliom
07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
PARIS (AP) - It's a rivalry for the ages: France versus Britain, forever trading barbs over food, lifestyles and politics. Now, as Paris and London battle to host the 2012 Summer Olympics, the feud has heated up anew.

Britain's newspapers heaped scorn on French President Jacques Chirac, rebuking him Tuesday as "a man full of bile" after he reportedly trashed Britain's "bad food" and made a snide remark about mad cow disease.

"The Brits' odious 'coup de bluff,' " the French daily France soir countered over a cartoon accusing Britons of unwarranted grouchiness. The spat, it said, threatened to turn the Olympics decision into a "theatre of arrogance."

On Wednesday, the International Olympic Committee was to announce the host city for the 2012 Games, and Paris and London were considered leading contenders in a field that includes New York, Moscow and Madrid.

The two countries have developed close ties in recent years, with France a favourite vacation destination for Britons and many French finding Britain's business environment preferable to the one back home.

But the Olympics have awakened the fighting spirit in the historical rivals.

"This is a war between the English and the French, and I really want Paris to win," said Touhami Ben Younes, 54, a French delivery man.

Blair, who was in Singapore pressing London's bid for the Olympics, did not comment directly. But when asked Monday whether the G8 summit starting Wednesday in Scotland would be an anticlimax after the Olympic decision, he said:

"I won't say the G8 summit would be an anticlimax to it, because that would be undiplomatic and I know when I go there I will be in the presence of very diplomatic people," he said.

Chirac also played international food critic at last year's G8 summit, held in Sea Island, Ga. He declared at a news conference that "this cuisine here in America was certainly on a par with French cuisine" and singled out a cheeseburger he had as "excellent."

True, the French president might feel a youthful nostalgia for the comfort food of the United States, where he once worked as a Howard Johnson's soda jerk.

But the Anglo-French rivalry dates back centuries. In Shakespearean terms, the Bard once penned: "France is a dog-hole, and it no more merits the tread of man's foot." French novelist Stendahl delivered this biting 19th-century salvo: "The English are the most barbarous people in the world."

The latest contretemps amused many in France, where British gourmet Jamie Oliver of The Naked Chef television series enjoys immense popularity and appears regularly on Cuisine TV.

It came as both countries have been taking pains to improve their sometimes testy relations, so much that Britain revised a recent re-enactment of the historic Battle of Trafalgar to avoid the appearance of gloating over Napoleon Bonaparte's humiliating defeat.

Meanwhile, the Sun warned that Chirac may have damaged his country's Olympic bid by criticizing food from Finland in the same conversation.

Although the British and French International Olympic Committee members are banned from voting, the paper said the votes of two Finnish IOC members could be crucial.

Ingrid Newkirk, a leader of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, wrote Chirac a letter Tuesday disparaging the French for their "reputation for making anything that moves, with the exception of the poodle, into a cassoulet."

Meanwhile, France Info radio reported that Chirac, also on a swing through Singapore to support his country's bid, pointedly dodged a question from a British journalist about the food flap.

"We're in the world of the Olympics, where the best win," he said. "Naturally, I hope that Paris will be the best."

Dravyk
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
The spat, it said, threatened to turn the Olympics decision into a "theatre of arrogance."
Theatre of arrogance ... Isn't that the national motto of France? :rolleyes:

Newton
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
London won!! :blink: Roast Beef for all ;)

Jeremy
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Wellllllllll, I don't think the UK was that fussed about the Olympics until we realised the French *really, really* wanted it.

Agincourt...Singapore... notice any similarities, Monsieur Frenchie?

Nice to see the oddballs clambering on the bandwagon already:

"As the newest recognised sport, darts, under the guidance of the British Darts Organisation, pledges its wholehearted support for the Olympic Games in London and would be proud to be considered as the host nation's 'invitation sport' in 2012."
British Darts Organisation chief Olly Croft

Steady
07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Jul 6 2005, 07:31 AM
London won!! :blink: Roast Beef for all ;)

and drinks :stout: too? :P

Evil Chris
07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
hahaha... I love to see the US bash the French.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between the two of you. :lol:

Trev
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Jul 6 2005, 05:29 PM

We're the ones with bad food :P

Evil Chris
07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Jul 6 2005, 02:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Jul 6 2005, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Jul 6 2005, 05:29 PM

We're the ones with bad food :P [/b][/quote]
:lol: sometimes I think it's just a difference of accents...

Newton
07-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Jul 6 2005, 10:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Jul 6 2005, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by Trev@Jul 6 2005, 02:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Jul 6 2005, 05:29 PM

We're the ones with bad food :P
:lol: sometimes I think it's just a difference of accents...[/b][/quote]
Almost ;)

Paris 2012 (http://www.sexines.com/sale.jpg)

DrGuile
07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jul 6 2005, 10:08 AM
find me a hot brit babe with an accent!! :bdance:
doesnt exists...

and I dont mean the accent part

grimm
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Inabon@Jul 6 2005, 05:56 AM
I just hope you guys don't put up a clapping event jajajaja

j/k

congrats i really think you kicked N.Y. ass.
this is the biggest thing to happen to britain since ze germans!