PDA

View Full Version : I'm so relieved that I won't be offended now.

ThrobX
07-04-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm so glad that these groups decided for me that it would be wrong and harmful for me to watch this show.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/04/t...d.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/04/tv.theneighborhood.ap/index.html)

Note, I would be even MORE offended by this if I were a member of one of the groups the participants belonged to. I'm all for being nice to people, but this is one of those examples of political correctness gone awry.

ThrobX
07-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Now that I think about it, I actually MAY belong to one of the groups. Being someone who runs adult sites and also does the accompanying photography sort of puts me in league with the family that includes the stripper.

But now I live in Vegas, where nobody gives 2 shits about it. :okthumb:

Bhelliom
07-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised that show even got past the brainstorming stage... brutal how stupid some people can be

ThrobX
07-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Bhelliom@Jul 4 2005, 07:42 AM
I'm surprised that show even got past the brainstorming stage... brutal how stupid some people can be
What, stupid that they'd think up the show, or stupid that they'd think they'd be allowed to broadcast the show? If it's the latter, I can see what you're saying, but the former? What's wrong with the show's concept? Exposing bigotry for what it is is a GOOD thing in my book.

I have no problem with the show. I'd watch it to see how the neighborhood's existing prejudices played out, and I'd think this would be a good thing for people with "I'm not prejudiced, but..." lines of thinking to watch, so they could maybe see themselves and think "maybe that's not right."

But we'll never know, will we, because of self-appointed censorship groups. Remind me, which section of the Bill of Rights guarantees us the right to not be offended?

TheEnforcer
07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
It would be interesting to see how that played out to be sure. adly there are too many people that want to decide for others what they should watch rather than use their own remote to control their own lives.

Bhelliom
07-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ThrobX+Jul 4 2005, 08:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ThrobX @ Jul 4 2005, 08:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bhelliom@Jul 4 2005, 07:42 AM
What, stupid that they'd think up the show, or stupid that they'd think they'd be allowed to broadcast the show? [/b][/quote]
Allowed to air it.

I 'm sure there are always tons of more brain dead ideas flying around network boardrooms

"hey what if we do a show where people like throw rocks at each other and the last one standing has to eat a beluga whale.." aw crap I can't come up with anything good... damn TV has ruined my imagination

Grump
07-05-2005, 08:37 AM
I am curious to see if someone else (HBO, Showtime, Fox?) steps up and buys the show from ABC. After enough publicity has been generated by the cancellation of course :)

Peaches
07-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Smith said it was illegal for homeowners to pick and choose neighbors
Don't the co-ops in NYC already do that? It seems it's always fodder for the press when someone famous isn't allowed to live there......maybe rules are different for rich people - THOSE you are allowed to keep out - the poor people get to live wherever they want. :P